Navigation system

andialpha

📛 Founding Member
Aug 2, 2024
Boston
Does the Land Cruiser have a traditional on board navigation system or do you have to use your phone and Waze/google maps? I normally prefer an onboard system as it doesn’t depend on cell phone reception or downloaded maps on your phone.

Does the Land Cruiser have a traditional on board navigation system or do you have to use your phone and Waze/google maps? I normally prefer an onboard system as it doesn’t depend on cell phone reception or downloaded maps on your phone.
The native navigation system is subscription based. It downloads maps and updates via 4G integrated into the vehicle. Is referred to as a cloud based navigation system.

Free subscription for the 1st year (I think) after the 1st year it'll still work but may not have the latest updates.

On my Taco, I didn't renew the subscription and waited an additional two years before I renewed the subscription, specifically to update the maps............ nope system had the "latest version" currently installed. Didn't renew the subscription the next month. Afterwards I found out there is a Toyota web site that you can log on to and see what the latest "firmware and nav software" is. The info screen settings will tell you what's installed and if you need an update........ Had I'd known, I could have saved a month's subscription fee.

I use "apple maps" now and "On X Offroad" via apple carplay.

Ah thanks, good to know it still works without the subscription even if not completely up to date. I’m pretty used to that, preferring to use the vehicle’s built in navigation. Here I wondered if that wouldn’t work at all if you didn’t subscribe.

Free subscription for the 1st year (I think) after the 1st year it'll still work but may not have the latest updates.

On my Taco, I didn't renew the subscription and waited an additional two years before I renewed the subscription, specifically to update the maps............ nope system had the "latest version" currently installed. Didn't renew the subscription the next month. Afterwards I found out there is a Toyota web site that you can log on to and see what the latest "firmware and nav software" is. The info screen settings will tell you what's installed and if you need an update........ Had I'd known, I could have saved a month's subscription fee.

I use "apple maps" now and "On X Offroad" via apple carplay.
Interesting, I work for the City and I find the "cloud" navigation in the LC to be well up to date with the current road construction happening throughout the city showing on the native map. I was actually impressed. I guess I will have to see what happens when the trial is over.

Found this on Reddit. The person is discussing a Crown, but it is probably the the same for all newer Toyotas, including the LC. Apparently the navigation shuts down when subscription is ended.

Bought new 2023 Crown which came with navigation. On its one year anniversary navigation is removed by Toyota and can only be replaced with monthly subscription. Never told it would be entirely removed but led to believe subscription would provide updates, traffic etc.after first year of ownership if wanted. Never told it would be removed entirely unless I paid for monthly subscription. Not a cheap car.

From the other manual (multimedia). For some reason the picture is blank.

1723130795358.png

The same sort of warning was in the Taco manual but it never stopped the maps. Now the traffic alert and other things didn't work but the mapping and exits were still there. I hope the LC turns out the same way.

Reactions: MJE
The same sort of warning was in the Taco manual but it never stopped the maps. Now the traffic alert and other things didn't work but the mapping and exits were still there. I hope the LC turns out the same way.
This would be my hope as well. I’ve never experienced these new subscription cloud based navigation (I remember when the maps came on dvds…). I’d expect the map as it exists would still be functional but without subscription I wouldn’t expect live traffic or up to date maps.

Who ever writes the "maps" update for Toyota has an easy job, on the Taco, I tried to update the maps and nope........ 3+ years and they were still "current version" which some of the new highways (2 yrs old) were not on there.

Who ever writes the "maps" update for Toyota has an easy job, on the Taco, I tried to update the maps and nope........ 3+ years and they were still "current version" which some of the new highways (2 yrs old) were not on there.
With the subscription even? That starts to become an issue. If you’re paying monthly for services you, or at least I do, expect things to be right up to date.

With the subscription even? That starts to become an issue. If you’re paying monthly for services you, or at least I do, expect things to be right up to date.
Well, in 10 months I’ll be able to report a definitive answer.

I had let the subscription lapse, I was going on a long trip and wanted to update the maps before I started the trip. Resubscribed and attempted an "over the air" update (that's how they do it now vs the SD card) it went through the motions and came back with a message "You have the latest version" "no update needed" (not those exact words).

Reactions: MJE
Found this on Reddit. The person is discussing a Crown, but it is probably the the same for all newer Toyotas, including the LC. Apparently the navigation shuts down when subscription is ended.

Bought new 2023 Crown which came with navigation. On its one year anniversary navigation is removed by Toyota and can only be replaced with monthly subscription. Never told it would be entirely removed but led to believe subscription would provide updates, traffic etc.after first year of ownership if wanted. Never told it would be removed entirely unless I paid for monthly subscription. Not a cheap car.
This makes sense if it is cloud based

My 1958 came with only a one-month trial to Drive Connect after which I had to subscribe to get the cloud map. I hate subscription and cloud services especially in a car ... if it fails during a trip there's little I can do ... carry paper map backups I guess.

The nav system supplier is HERE Technologies. I am unimpressed with their product especially in an off-road vehicle. The detail in land features and secondary roads is poor, and it lacks the ability to customize colors so roads that are mapped often appear as green over a light green background (public land) which is difficult to see. It has the usual hands-free nanny features when moving but either does not recognize the waypoint or responds with several wrong choices. It becomes very difficult to search for places with the limited data base.

I like to navigate with the map always pointed north. The default is vehicle travel direction which can be temporarily changed but goes back to default every time the vehicle is turned off so I have to reset it each time. Even worse is during navigation when it reaches something it wants to tell me about ... the screen returns to travel direction and zooms in which is very disorienting right when I need to make a quick decision. The system would be passable if it could be customized but as is nope. It's annoying to have a built-in system that not only costs monthly but does so little.

I have Google Maps and GaiaGPS which I use through Android Auto but that approach has its own limitations.

Back