MPG

Rochemsam

📛 Founding Member
Aug 11, 2024
Media
Houston
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
So got the LC FE July 4th. At this point it has 600 miles on the ODO. The MPG is at 14.3 MPG. The car gets driven once a week for a 40 mile commute (20 miles each way including 15 miles each way on the highway) May be some additional 4 to 10 mike trips thrown in there.
I have tried to drive it both ECO & Regular modes. Deliberately trying to increase MPG. It goes up by 0.1 to 0.2 and then comes right back down.

Now I also own a 2024 Final Edition Jeep Rubicon 392 (6.4L 500 HP/lbft) with 2K miles on the ODO.
and 2021 MB G63 AMG (Hand built twin turbo V8, 588 HP) approx 2K on the ODO.
Both these high performance, heavy V8 SUVs average approx 14 MPG.

What is wrong with this picture. My understanding is this HYBRID LC IS supposed to do 22 to 25 MPG.

Please advise, I am baffled.
Best,
Sam

…………….
Thanks for the reply. I guess the break in period is a little more than I anticipated from the posts. I guess will keep it rolling and see where it takes us 🙂
If it’s going to do 14 MPG it better give a V8 rumble than a hybrid whine 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_4531.jpeg
    IMG_4531.jpeg
    645.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4528.jpeg
    IMG_4528.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 58
Well that many threads, I would say there is something to it. Any way, we shall see how it progresses.
However if this 4 cylinder 350 HP HYBRID settles at the same MPG as a 600 HP, very heavy, very square vehicle (latest MB G63 AMG) then something is not right.
Time will tell 🙂

Well that many threads, I would say there is something to it. Any way, we shall see how it progresses.
However if this 4 cylinder 350 HP HYBRID settles at the same MPG as a 600 HP, very heavy, very square vehicle (latest MB G63 AMG) then something is not right.
Time will tell 🙂
MB G63 AMG has ~65% higher gas consumption than LC though. I don't get your point.

1724815797652.png
1724815825406.png

Nothing to it….just depends on how you drive and where you drive along with being stock etc…
At 1500 miles I’m still at 24.1 MPG
Haven’t been lower than 23.4. Stock 1958 with the roof rack

Last edited:
MB G63 AMG has ~65% higher gas consumption than LC though. I don't get your point.

View attachment 9761View attachment 9762
Well I own a 21 G63 AMG and shows me an average of 14 MPG & so does the 24 LC FE 🙂
My 25 G63 AMG coming in November will also have a 48V IG along with the twin turbo V8, so I hear will be a hair more efficient.
Anyway, I love my Blue LC FE, Injust hope it eventually does a little better fuel economy then what it’s doing now (14 MPG) 🙂

Nothing to it….just depends on how you drive and where you drive along with being stock etc…
At 1500 miles I’m still at 24.1 MPG
Haven’t been lower then 23.4. Stock 1958 with the roof rack
Same. Just finished an 1100 mile road trip and averaged 28 mpg. Around town i’m getting 24mpg

IMG_3216.jpeg

PS - i’m also in a 1958, but have added FE sliders and skids

Last edited:
So got the LC FE July 4th. At this point it has 600 miles on the ODO. The MPG is at 14.3 MPG. The car gets driven once a week for a 40 mile commute (20 miles each way including 15 miles each way on the highway) May be some additional 4 to 10 mike trips thrown in there.
I have tried to drive it both ECO & Regular modes. Deliberately trying to increase MPG. It goes up by 0.1 to 0.2 and then comes right back down.

Now I also own a 2024 Final Edition Jeep Rubicon 392 (6.4L 500 HP/lbft) with 2K miles on the ODO.
and 2021 MB G63 AMG (Hand built twin turbo V8, 588 HP) approx 2K on the ODO.
Both these high performance, heavy V8 SUVs average approx 14 MPG.

What is wrong with this picture. My understanding is this HYBRID LC IS supposed to do 22 to 25 MPG.

Please advise, I am baffled.
Best,
Sam
I fully agree. Has been a very surprising and disappointing experience for me with Toyota. My 2024 Land Cruiser has done under 500 miles, mostly local driving, getting about 14mpg. First Toyota service dealer saw the issue but had no answer. The second dealer test drove on the highway, got over 20mpg and proclaimed no issue even though doing no local driving. I wrote to Toyota to complain that either their 23/25 mpg claim is false, or my Hybrid is defective in local driving. I received a corporate style, dismissive letter in reply, proclaiming there is no issue. Will be interesting to see whether magically the software transforms the hybrid performance at 1,000 miles. But so far, has been very disappointing dealing with Toyota.

What did you expect to achieve by writing Toyota? First of all, the published ratings are estimates by the EPA. Secondly, the EPA explicitly states that the estimates are for comparison purposes and that actual results will vary for many reasons, including driving conditions, style, etc.

You’re writing to the wrong party and complaining about not receiving something that was never promised in the first place.

What did you expect to achieve by writing Toyota? First of all, the published ratings are estimates by the EPA. Secondly, the EPA explicitly states that the estimates are for comparison purposes and that actual results will vary for many reasons, including driving conditions, style, etc.

You’re writing to the wrong party and complaining about not receiving something that was never promised in the first place.
My feelings are: (1) Toyota is claiming those 23/25mpg stats by marketing them on its website for this vehicle and (2) I (and I suspect many of us) are expecting strong mpg by spending a very high purchase price on this hybrid. I for one would not have spent this money or purchased this hybrid for 14mpg performance in local driving.

Toyota (as do other manufacturers) has an asterisk by the mpg figures that explains their source and purpose. It’s a shame that you didn’t bother to read it (much less the information at the EPA’s site) before buying and placing misguided reliance on the ratings.

No one has ever said that a Land Cruiser is inexpensive nor fuel efficient. But compared to prior versions sold in the US, this new ‘24 is dramatically improved while being more powerful (at least for torque).

Stop whining to Toyota and take the time to better understand the EPA’s test method and how the LC’s turbo and hybrid motor affect performance and efficiency.

My feelings are: (1) Toyota is claiming those 23/25mpg stats by marketing them on its website for this vehicle and (2) I (and I suspect many of us) are expecting strong mpg by spending a very high purchase price on this hybrid. I for one would not have spent this money or purchased this hybrid for 14mpg performance in local driving.
you will get better than 14mpg. This is my first hybrid and it took me a bit to get better mpg. I am happy with what I am getting now. Previous vehicle was a 23 Tahoe

Need to correct myself. The car maker does the testing following the EPA’s specific methodology and submits the data to the EPA. The EPA will confirm about 15% of all submitted results.

Tha
Toyota (as do other manufacturers) has an asterisk by the mpg figures that explains their source and purpose. It’s a shame that you didn’t bother to read it (much less the information at the EPA’s site) before buying and placing misguided reliance on the ratings.

No one has ever said that a Land Cruiser is inexpensive nor fuel efficient. But compared to prior versions sold in the US, this new ‘24 is dramatically improved while being more powerful (at least for torque).

Stop whining to Toyota and take the time to better understand the EPA’s test method and how the LC’s turbo and hybrid motor affect performance and efficiency.
Thank you. We each have our perspectives. No point arguing about it. 14mpg vs 23mpg is just a very big gap.

The rig is more than capable of achieving better than what you’re getting currently. You just need to learn how to drive it, as idiotic as that may sound to you. Good luck!

LC with 20s on stock tires. FWIW anecdotally I've found just regular driving with my light foot gets around 21.X mpg on Sport. When I tried to get the best mpgs intentionally I drove in eco, light foot doing my best to not engage the turbo. My mpg went up to 23.X

Perhaps keep an eye on the iForce turbo Guage and see if that helps your mpg.

Back