Modular Rock Rail Step

EIGHTLUG

📛 Founding Member
May 20, 2024
Silverdale, WA
Hello! My name is Curtis. I guess I'll make this an introduction of sorts. We're anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new Land Cruiser and we're excited to get rolling on accessories for it and take it all over the PNW to just enjoy the experience! Being a car guy and the adventuring type, I've always felt that the Toyota community in general was hugely underserviced by the domestic aftermarket and I want to slowly change that. I'm an engineer, pseudo designer, a doer, machinist, and my minds always racing. I run a small CNC machine shop, here in Washington. We specialize in high quality, innovative products, that just make sense.

Below are renderings of a step that I'm excited to get into production. A simple, yet rugged, modular step that attaches to the OEM supplied rock rail. 6061 T6 billet aluminum throughout and stainless steel hardware. If you opt to keep them on full time, they're ultra low maintenance. If you choose to remove them on the weekends for trail duty, it's an incredibly simple task.

I'm excited to get this project going along with anything else that the community sees as a valid need. I'm always open to ideas! Let me know what you think.

Land Cruiser - Stirrup - 1 SQ - 2.png
Land Cruiser - Stirrup - 2 SQ - 2.png
Land Cruiser - Stirrup FQ - 2.png
Land Cruiser - Stirrup Full Side - 2.png

Hey Curtis….welcome though I am fairly new as well. I would definitely be interested in these. What was your price point, have you thought that far ahead? Also, might I suggest a 3D printed holder or case where they can be stored inside or outside on the roof rack perhaps.

Hello! My name is Curtis. I guess I'll make this an introduction of sorts. We're anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new Land Cruiser and we're excited to get rolling on accessories for it and take it all over the PNW to just enjoy the experience! Being a car guy and the adventuring type, I've always felt that the Toyota community in general was hugely underserviced by the domestic aftermarket and I want to slowly change that. I'm an engineer, pseudo designer, a doer, machinist, and my minds always racing. I run a small CNC machine shop, here in Washington. We specialize in high quality, innovative products, that just make sense.

Below are renderings of a step that I'm excited to get into production. A simple, yet rugged, modular step that attaches to the OEM supplied rock rail. 6061 T6 billet aluminum throughout and stainless steel hardware. If you opt to keep them on full time, they're ultra low maintenance. If you choose to remove them on the weekends for trail duty, it's an incredibly simple task.

I'm excited to get this project going along with anything else that the community sees as a valid need. I'm always open to ideas! Let me know what you think.

View attachment 2522View attachment 2523View attachment 2524View attachment 2525
I had your Stirrups for my 2021 Bronco, can’t wait to get these for my LC!

Great idea! Seen people complain that "only a toddler" could use the rock sliders as a step. I really like the modern and simple design... they look so much better than Toyota's predator steps and won't compromise clearance if left on.

I had your Stirrups for my 2021 Bronco, can’t wait to get these for my LC!
Awesome! Machined billet is the way to go.

I guess I should add, while we were at SEMA with the Bronco, Mark (I forget his last name), one of their lead engineers, stopped by our booth and was amazed at what we we were able to integrate with the Bronco. Mark promptly brought me to their main booth and was showing us features of the new models and what they and others would like to see. One of the first that we talked about were the modular steps.

I love the idea. Have you thought about making them foldable? Could you fold them up when driving or off-roading and flip them down when you need the extra step?

Hey Curtis….welcome though I am fairly new as well. I would definitely be interested in these. What was your price point, have you thought that far ahead? Also, might I suggest a 3D printed holder or case where they can be stored inside or outside on the roof rack perhaps.
The biggest variable will be the mounting apparatus. It's going to be rather large to span across the tubular bars. One I get that nailed down and squeeze as much efficiency out as I can, I can get firm on price.

How about a Pelican case with firm foam to secure the steps? I kind of go over the top. I'd like to at least make that an option.

And DD214! I know what that means. I'm an Air Force Veteran, myself. Thank you for your service!

Last edited:
I love the idea. Have you thought about making them foldable? Could you fold them up when driving or off-roading and flip them down when you need the extra step?
That's been a feature I've been trying to figure out. Our '88 DEFENDER 110 has steps like that. The problem I'm running into and literally running into, is the step when folded up would be hit by the door when you open it. If I lower the step to clear the door, the whole apparatus looks gangly, because it hangs low. I'm still working through it on paper and in my mind.

View attachment 2522View attachment 2523View attachment 2524View attachment 2525
Hi they look great I want some !! please post when they are available to buy regards Dave

Hey Eight Lug, I would be down for a set of 4 when they are available….and thank you for your service. I have yet to see an LC in the wild but as I am short and my knees are shot, I feel anything that could help me in would be welcomed.

Thanks again for doing this.

Interested

Great news! We're moving forward at full speed! The clamp assembly design functions flawlessly. We'll be cutting chips on billet clamp assemblies now. For those that are interested, I'll open up the preorder. If you're definitely in the market and your LC is on order, this is the perfect scenario for you. We're machining a full set of 8 billet clamp assemblies to outfit a vehicle with a full set of four steps. More pics to come! Happy to have you along for the process!

If you're interested in the preorder, please PM me and I'll provide you with a link to the website. Not sure yet how the admins feel about linking websites on the open thread. If we need to register as a vendor, let me know. Thanks!

image_123650291 (3).JPG

Back