Missing KDSS does it make a big difference

When did Toyota introduce this feature ?

That video is helpful; thanks. Toyota’s website for the new Tacoma reports the Stabilizer with Disconnect Mechanism (SDM) is the “first ever” for Toyota. My current assumption is everything is shared across the TNGA-F platform wherever practical to optimize value. The video shows the LC 250, however I expect the SDM configuration on the Tacoma is identical. It does look like a BMI Group sourced system could be installed on the LC 250 from the video.

The only fundamental flaw I can see in BMI’s system so far is with the fail-safe characteristics. The BMI system appears to fail-safe to connected upon an electrical fault, but the system will default to disconnected in the event of a hydraulic leak. This essentially would mean a leaking disconnect assembly would render my LC 250 unsafe/unusable if BMI goes out of business or a replacement disconnect assembly can not be sourced. The BMI system should fail-safe to connected in all foreseeable failure modes. Perhaps a solid stabilizer bar can replace the BMI system without major vehicle modifications if a customer decided to delete the Stabilizer with Disconnect Mechanism.

Here is Toyota's E-KDSS system which appears different from KDSS. I don't think I understand the history and differences between KDSS and E-KDSS. My apologies if I don’t seem too exited about the GX550, the LC 250 is just a better choice for me overall.

Here is Toyota's E-KDSS system which appears different from KDSS. I don't think I understand the history and differences between KDSS and E-KDSS. My apologies if I don’t seem too exited about the GX550, the LC 250 is just a better choice for me overall.

I agree and I add something. LC250 the basic trim. It already has so many features compared to my old LC120.

"The Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System was first available as an option on the model year 2004 Lexus GX 470, a sport utility vehicle that was only sold in North America, and based roughly on the 120 Series Land Cruiser Prado. The system was also introduced in similar form on the 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser. For the 2008 Lexus LX 570, an electro-mechanical suspension was employed, retaining the function of the KDSS design but adding electronic components."

Back