Meteor/Brown Sugar Touch-up Paint

mayonayze

📛 Founding Member
Jul 16, 2024
Media
VA
Not seeing it online, yet. Anyone else been able to locate the OEM stuff? If so, please link?

🍿

I needed it for my gouge on my tailgate after I dropped my bike. No one had it in stock, so I ordered from the dealer I liked and it ships ground from Kentucky. No one will ship to you direct that I found. They called me about a week later when it arrived.

See before and after pictures of my dent/scratch. Metallic are really tough to blend on larger scratches, but I was happy with this one since I gouged down to bare metal with a big flake. I looked at lots of videos on touch up and found this one linked from Chris Fix on YouTube has the most views and seemed to have the most thorough process.

The body shop wanted to paint both panels to match. No one will do touch up for a fee because they just suck at it…even the body shop. They said you can pay, but it’s not worth it.

IMG_2534.jpeg
IMG_2658.jpeg

That would be a good candidate for paintless dent removal. I wouldn't try and use color matched touchup paint as it'll probably make it more noticeable. What I would try is get a cheap airbrush from Harbor Freight and some clear touchup paint.

Airbrushes can be turned down very low and apply tiny amounts of paint in a very precise and controlled manner. With a small amount of practice on test piece (could be any painted metal surface, that you scrape to sort of match your actual scrape), you might find you can apply enough clear coat to fully cover the scrape. After a couple of weeks of letting it dry thoroughly, you can buff the area with a polishing compound (I use 3M) and the scrape will almost disappear.

Thanks for the advise. The first picture was the initial dent and scrape when it happened. Then I had dent pro do paintless dent removal which straightened it out great. Because the bare metal was still exposed...even after dent pro, I did the touch up using the Chris Fix video technique. The results of that final paint up are in the second picture.

I didn't want to leave the metal exposed. Even though it is aluminum and won’t rust, it would still oxidize and i wanted it protected for the future.

Thanks for the advise. The first picture was the initial dent and scrape when it happened. Then I had dent pro do paintless dent removal which straightened it out great. Because the bare metal was still exposed...even after dent pro, I did the touch up using the Chris Fix video technique. The results of that final paint up are in the second picture.

I didn't want to leave the metal exposed. Even though it is aluminum and won’t rust, it would still oxidize and i wanted it protected for the future.
Oh wow, I thought it was two different areas! They did a great job.

Not seeing it online, yet. Anyone else been able to locate the OEM stuff? If so, please link?

🍿
The paint code on my door sticker is 4V8 (meteor shower).

Per my dealer (and also mentioned in this forum), this is an old toyota color with a new name (e.g. brown sugar metallic, avant garde bronze metallic).

Toyota Part number for touch up paint is 00258-004V8-21

Putting that number into Amazon brings up some choices. Good luck

Dr. Color Chip makes the best touch-up paint kits on the market. The colors they currently stock are Black, Heritage Blue, Ice Cap, Underground, and Wind Chill Pearl. This is leaps and bounds better than getting the Toyota touch up paint for your LC. Maybe send them an email and ask when they'll be adding Meteor Shower to their inventory?

I'm 99% sure Dr Colorchip already has the color (4V8), just under a different name. I have some the 4V8 toyota OEM stuff and it looks like a match.

Funny how my brain works...if I think 'bronze' or 'brown sugar' to me the LC takes on a more brown shade...whereas when thinking 'meteor shower' I see silver - I really like the color in any case

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240916_052740_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240916_052740_Firefox.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 6
I'm 99% sure Dr Colorchip already has the color (4V8), just under a different name. I have some the 4V8 toyota OEM stuff and it looks like a match.

Funny how my brain works...if I think 'bronze' or 'brown sugar' to me the LC takes on a more brown shade...whereas when thinking 'meteor shower' I see silver - I really like the color in any case
I tried searching for 4V8, but it didn't come up for me! Sounds like the Meteor Shower people can get a kit now (y). I originally was getting a Meteor Shower LC, but when my wife saw that it could shade brown, she said, "As long as you like it!" Translation is, "You can buy it, but I'll hate it." We switched to Heritage Blue, which is easily my favorite color for the LC!

Back