Mark ups

Personally, I only think #4 applies. There's a reason 4Runners sell so good (5 seaters). Hybrids are the best selling vehicle in the US and will continue to be (especially if gas prices creep back up). And some people (myself included) don't want the Lexus nameplate, it comes with a certain stigma, mechanics charge more (cause they assume you have more $$$), and you know if you got a GX 550, you'd be saying to your friends "oh but it's really a LAND CRUISER underneath" :ROFLMAO:
Not to mention that even though the GX550 isn’t as bad as most of them, the Lexus grill design is one of the most egregious designs in the entire automotive world. Truly hideous. No idea who they think that appeals to.

Because they are still rolling out. It would be an absolute disaster for them if that wasn’t the case when cars weren’t even on the lot. These are the very definition of temporary conditions and no way indicative of long-term interest
My point was simply there are a lot of people who want this car…more so than the GX.

And no one seems to care about the 3rd row or hybrid powertrain.

I actually think there’s a market division in North America: 4Runners are targeted to a pure off-roader market, LC’s and the like were sold as off-road capable family movers/camping dad cars. I think the stigma you talk about applies more to Toyota than to Lexus today: Who’s getting charged more when there are $20,000 markups on LC’s but not GX550’s? I could get a better deal (as a % of MSRP) on all the Lexus vehicles I looked at than their Toyota counterparts. Honestly, I think the FE’s did more to make LC owners look money-foolish like Cybertruck owners than anything else. I know when I see them out a year from now, I won’t be thinking “wow!”, I’ll be thinking “I wonder if they see themselves as a sucker now?”
Uh, not every FE owner has paid those ridiculous 10k+ mark-ups, so that’s a pretty broad stroke your painting there.

I actually think there’s a market division in North America: 4Runners are targeted to a pure off-roader market, LC’s and the like were sold as off-road capable family movers/camping dad cars. I think the stigma you talk about applies more to Toyota than to Lexus today: Who’s getting charged more when there are $20,000 markups on LC’s but not GX550’s? I could get a better deal (as a % of MSRP) on all the Lexus vehicles I looked at than their Toyota counterparts. Honestly, I think the FE’s did more to make LC owners look money-foolish like Cybertruck owners than anything else. I know when I see them out a year from now, I won’t be thinking “wow!”, I’ll be thinking “I wonder if they see themselves as a sucker now?”
Agree that LC is more of a high end family / refined adventure car vs the 4Runner which is targeted towards actual off roaders & younger or more aggressive looks desiring crowd.

Just got my Fe in trail dust last week. I will not feel like a fool next year. I paid cash and will save 20K compared to those who finance. Everyone makes their own decision on price and value.
I have a trail dust FE on order and the premium we are paying is around $4,000 if you spec a LC trim with everything we are getting. Less if you factor in the hassle of buying round lights when they become available. My guess is that will run $1500-$2000 to buy unless you can find someone who wants square which I believe will be very hard. Now we’re looking at a $2k-$2500 premium we’re paying and I value my time so it’s worth not going through the hassle.

My guess is the First Edition will have a higher resale value add on than the small premium we are paying.

I have a trail dust FE on order and the premium we are paying is around $4,000 if you spec a LC trim with everything we are getting. Less if you factor in the hassle of buying round lights when they become available. My guess is that will run $1500-$2000 to buy unless you can find someone who wants square which I believe will be very hard. Now we’re looking at a $2k-$2500 premium we’re paying and I value my time so it’s worth not going through the hassle.

My guess is the First Edition will have a higher resale value add on than the small premium we are paying.
If you want all the items that come on the FE (round lights, roof rack, rock rails, etc.) then it’s hard to say it’s a bad call to get it. I had one reserved but swapped to a LC trim w/ prem bc I’m not much of an off roader. Would have had to pay to swap out the rock rails for a running board (I have young kids) and I don’t need the rock rack vs normal roof rails.

That said, I was pretty juiced to have the FE embossed on the door. Would have been nice to see that each day and think itll be cool for years to come.

A first edition blue one just sold for $83,000 . I have no idea what the seller actually paid for it but the sticker was $78369 plus tax . Plus they had to pay for listing . They probably made no money or possibly lost money .
The buyer had to pay 5% above selling price which means someone paid $87-88k for it .
Both the seller and buyer made bad decisions based on market today .
There is always stupid money on BaT.

Uh, not every FE owner has paid those ridiculous 10k+ mark-ups, so that’s a pretty broad stroke your painting there.
The argument was not actual purchase prices, the argument was which customer base was seen by dealers as the one most susceptible to jacked-up prices. If Toyota is attempting 20K markups, then there's your answer.

My point was simply there are a lot of people who want this car…more so than the GX.

And no one seems to care about the 3rd row or hybrid powertrain.

Brokers are already offering 1958's at $2K off MSRP, GX550? Not so much. So I guess some do care, and the adjustments have begun!

Giving the markups attention does nothing but normalize markups. Stop talking about them and definitely don't pay them. The markups will go away. This isn't a limited edition vehicle. There's no prize for having one first. Toyota will make something like 30k of these each model year. The first edition is 4k units by itself.

My GR Corolla, which had markups initially and can now be had a year later for under sticker, sells only 6k units per year. Ignore the stupidity and have some self control; the markups will go away. If anything, it will let the dust settle a little bit and people will have a much better idea of the ups and downs of the model to better decide if the GX, 4Runner, or Land Cruiser is the best choice for them.

Brokers are already offering 1958's at $2K off MSRP, GX550? Not so much. So I guess some do care, and the adjustments have begun!
Link?

The BaT auction ended at $10K over and the FE on eBay is already at ~$5K over. Outside of some variance in regional demand (which would be considered an exception and not the rule) I think it’s wishful thinking to believe sub-MSRP pricing will be widespread anytime soon.

DCH Torrance in So Cal called me today about a LC meeeting my wish list. They asked for a $10,000 mark up. But negotiable.???
stay away. They told me I would wait forever at other dealers.

Link?

The BaT auction ended at $10K over and the FE on eBay is already at ~$5K over. Outside of some variance in regional demand (which would be considered an exception and not the rule) I think it’s wishful thinking to believe sub-MSRP pricing will be widespread anytime soon.
I agree ... the dealership I'm buying from has 10 LC's listed in their online inventory, all of which are noted as "sale pending" whether the vehicle is in stock, in transit or in production. If dealers have buyers for them before they even hit the lot, unlikely they will discount them, at least currently.

Another factor is that it appears most dealers are adding the premium package to the mid-LC trim, bringing the MSRP closer to $ 70k in many if not most instances. So a 1958 model whose MSRP remains at $ 57k (since there are virtually no options) is essentially already discounted from a dealer perspective.

What Broker, 1958's selling for 5k over msrp here in west coast and a broker was asking for 1k fee?

Link?

What Broker, 1958's selling for 5k over msrp here in west coast and a broker was asking for 1k fee?

One of the largest Toyota brokers in the Northeast.. price applies to lease or purchase. Offers some nationwide shipping. Give him a text:

Last edited:
Back