Mark ups

Or I always figure in the grin factor when buying a vehicle........... Doesn't really matter what the price was, it's how big was your grin when you drove off in it. I don't know very many people that don't always brag about "I got a better deal" on everything.

Some things I really stick to my guns and will walk away if the price isn't right because I can always find a cheaper version, maybe not as good but it'll work. With vehicles it's all about the grin factor!

Last edited:
Or I always figure in the grin factor when buying a vehicle........... Doesn't really matter what the price was, it's how big was your grin when you drove off in it. I don't know very many people that don't always brag about "I got a better deal" on everything.

Some things I really stick to my guns and will walk away if the price isn't right because I can always find a cheaper version, maybe not as good but it'll work. With vehicles it's all about the grin factor!
Guess who has a bigger grin - the manager at the stealership that just sold the car with thousands over msrp, or the guy that just paid thousands more than necessary?

All good folks. I think itโ€™s about how weโ€™re treated. All the sales talk and extra fees is just a turn off.

Iโ€™d actually pay more if I didnโ€™t feel like I was being sold to and had someone that was straight up with me.

Or some of us could just pay MSRP at reasonable dealers and enjoy our Land Cruisers during the summer and fall. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

If you trust first year reliability of new Toyota vehicles (now in question) and can find an ethical dealership, then go for it.

Guess who has a bigger grin - the manager at the stealership that just sold the car with thousands over msrp, or the guy that just paid thousands more than necessary?
Guess There's one more person that got a better deal. It's my money and I'll grin and spend it as I see fit.

Having thought about this for a bit..... why are you compromising at just MSRP? I know for a fact that the owner of my dealership is paying $5100 less than MSRP.

You should really hold to your evaluation about other peoples choices and not purchase until you find one for at least 5K under MSRP, that way your opinion won't be hypocritical.

think the combo of
  1. No 3rd row - eliminates it as a large family hauler
  2. Powertrain - a turnoff to Landcruiser purists to have a 4cyl hybrid
  3. GX550 cannibalistic competition: Luxury plus simple powertrain and a KDSS option to fix some handling issues
  4. Interest rates/economy/price point
All will work against the 2024 Landcruiser and bring prices down sooner rather than later

unless you had a deposit in months ago you are probably waiting awhile to get one at MSRP.

About 30 days later, I had 2 local options for exactly what I wanted with zero markup. I stopped looking during those 30 days and went on vacation, so if not for that and the QC delays, I think it could have been sooner. Love the LC, but not worth markups at this price point, and no reason to entertain the idea.

I never pay more than MSRP for a new vehicle... If i have to, I will wait. Think how the guys that paid $10,000 over MSRP for a New Tacoma when they came out a few months ago... Now they are giving them away at MSRP with extras. When I put a downpayment back in May... The LC was marked up in my local area about 10 to 15 thousand over MSRP... I had to drive an 1.5 hours north just to get MSRP. Now my area has dropped to $5000 over MSRP. I'm getting calls weekly trying to sell me 1958's LC's on their lots. Even with the delays in shipping... Dealers are worried about the lack of presold inventory showing up unsold.... Like the Tacoma. So... I will take the extra $5000 they want over MSRP... and put it towards upgrades!

In the DC Metro area, I have found no more dealers charging marketing adjustment except Alexandria Toyota, who is hitting 1958s with a staggering $12,500 increase. I don't know how they are getting away with it because there are a bajillion Toyota dealers in this area (9 within 20 miles of me) and no one else is doing it.

They had a FE a while ago with $30k markup but the 2 1958s are the only ones showing in their inventory now.

Like I told my salesman, letโ€™s talk, but if you start a conversation with โ€œmarkupโ€, the conversation endsโ€ฆ That caused the salesman to disappear and re-emerge a few minutes later. I purchased at MSRP and with no added dealer crap. I feel like I got a decent deal and they made their profit.

Back