Longevity of 2024+ LC

Marinna

📛 Founding Member
Jun 18, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
What do you guys think of the build quality of the new Land Cruiser? Every time I saw the image of their engine bay comparing to GX550 that just freak me out a little bit. and the recent engine recall on the Tundra really worried me that if this Land Cruiser is still the land cruiser that I have admired all these years

Welcome to the forum Marinna! I think the verdict is still out. Thankfully it does not have the problematic V6 that Toyota is now struggling with. Yes, the engine bay appears very complex, but with the engine cover removed they all do nowadays. I am impressed by some of the driving reviews, i.e. plenty of power, acceptable handling, and reasonable economy.

Welcome to the forum Marinna! I think the verdict is still out. Thankfully it does not have the problematic V6 that Toyota is now struggling with. Yes, the engine bay appears very complex, but with the engine cover removed they all do nowadays. I am impressed by some of the driving reviews, i.e. plenty of power, acceptable handling, and reasonable economy.
I have to agree with Nuke on all points. Especially w/regards to the complexity of the engine... seems to be the normal way now a days. Of course, we are enjoying more power per liter than ever before, better gas mileage, etc... so it's not all bad. My 91 Mustang GT had 225hp... that was a muscle car back in the day. With a v8... and 5 liters. Oh, and they rate horsepower different now so that figure doesn't even compare apples to apples with how HP is measured now. We have 1 liter engines making that kind of power now :) Sometimes change can be good.

We just aren’t going to know for awhile. Given the importance of the badge to Toyota, I have talked myself into believing that the overall vetting of potential issues has been more comprehensive. But they are only using this powertrain in North America, so there is only so much comfort in that. Toyota is not immune to issues with new powertrains, as the twin turbo V6 debacle is demonstrating…

We just aren’t going to know for awhile. Given the importance of the badge to Toyota, I have talked myself into believing that the overall vetting of potential issues has been more comprehensive.
Sadly, they dropped the ball in regard to an issue with the sunroof, a drain problem it appears. This could be worldwide. Evidently not a quick fix.

What do you guys think of the build quality of the new Land Cruiser? Every time I saw the image of their engine bay comparing to GX550 that just freak me out a little bit. and the recent engine recall on the Tundra really worried me that if this Land Cruiser is still the land cruiser that I have admired all these years
Worth a watch to hear what a mechanic thinks of the engine layout and reliability of the different systems that make it up

Worth a watch to hear what a mechanic thinks of the engine layout and reliability of the different systems that make it up
FWIW, the CarCareNut thinks it is a good engine, a derivative, not an entirely new design. He also reports the wastegate is vacuum operated, not electronically, a good thing. I also worry a bit about the transfer case, as it appears new to some degree. It has been reported the drive chain (why not gears?) is heavier duty than in the past.

This guy makes a good case for the new engine in the 4Runner which of course is the same for the Land Cruiser. Check out about the 6:21 mark:

I don’t think Toyota would be rolling out this engine in their flagship vehicles if they didn’t believe in the longevity and reliability of the powertrain.
Whether 2024+ LC is still a flagship is quite debatable. Sequoia/LX are also closely related to the Tundra recall, which some could argue that they are effectively the new flagship.
Toyota hasn't exactly explained what happened to these recalls, but speculation suspected that it might be an issue caused by tooling, if not design. Tooling issue could easily plagued to multiple engine production line.
For me the most important function of LC is to carry me to and from my destination, all the luxurious features are only secondary. For that I was thinking about whether 2024 4Runner makes more sense to me. (it is a bit small to be honest)

Whether 2024+ LC is still a flagship is quite debatable. Sequoia/LX are also closely related to the Tundra recall, which some could argue that they are effectively the new flagship.
Toyota hasn't exactly explained what happened to these recalls, but speculation suspected that it might be an issue caused by tooling, if not design. Tooling issue could easily plagued to multiple engine production line.
For me the most important function of LC is to carry me to and from my destination, all the luxurious features are only secondary. For that I was thinking about whether 2024 4Runner makes more sense to me. (it is a bit small to be honest)
Same engine is coming to the GX550. The Land Cruiser name is definitely one of their flagship vehicles with a reputation they want to preserve. Only time will tell but this engine has been around for almost 5 years now. Hybrid powertrains designed like this one also take stress off the transmission. The engine is less expensive to work on when it needs service with the layout compared to the V6 in the GX. Very easy to change routine maintenance items like the spark plugs. The turbo on the LC is accessible compared to the GX550 V6 twin turbos. If I wanted a GX550, I would wait for the hybrid powertrain.

Same engine is coming to the GX550. The Land Cruiser name is definitely one of their flagship vehicles with a reputation they want to preserve. Only time will tell but this engine has been around for almost 5 years now. Hybrid powertrains designed like this one also take stress off the transmission. The engine is less expensive to work on when it needs service with the layout compared to the V6 in the GX. Very easy to change routine maintenance items like the spark plugs. The turbo on the LC is accessible compared to the GX550 V6 twin turbos. If I wanted a GX550, I would wait for the hybrid powertrain.
The hybrid powertrain on GX550 would have multiple potential source of major maintenance effort. Both hybrid battery and suspension will need to be replaced at some point, which will be quite expensive, and the engine bay will likely be just equally ugly and complex. For that reason my priority would be GX550 ~~ LC > GX550h.

Another solution I am thinking about is to buy 2024 4Runner first, wait a few years till the new design to fix their issues, and switch to the LC / GX550. I would imagine with all these new design issues the last year of 4Runner would depreciate very little in 4~5 years time. The only problem with that is 4Runner is NOT Land Cruiser. :(

Last edited:
The hybrid powertrain on GX550 would have multiple potential source of major maintenance effort. Both hybrid battery and suspension will need to be replaced at some point, which will be quite expensive, and the engine bay will likely be just equally ugly and complex. For that reason my priority would be GX550 ~~ LC > GX550h.

Another solution I am thinking about is to buy 2024 4Runner first, wait a few years till the new design to fix their issues, and switch to the LC / GX550. I would imagine with all these new design issues the last year of 4Runner would depreciate very little in 4~5 years time
The current 4Runner is as mechanically solid as an anvil. The only downside is of course the fuel economy, and a bit underpowered. I can nearly guarantee the price of the new 4Runner will be at a level where you will still come out ahead, fuel economy included.

The GX550 has a V6 that currently is known to stop working in other vehicles carrying the same engine. Toyota has recalled a certain number of those vehicles but it's known that there are models produced in 2024 that have failed as well that have not been recalled yet. Only time will give the definitive answer. Just trying to give you honest opinions based on facts and you seem worried about how it looks vs how it is actually going to function.

Last edited:
The GX550 has a V6 that currently is known to stop working in other vehicles carrying the same engine. Toyota has recalled a certain number of those vehicles but it's known that there are models produced in 2024 that have failed as well that have not been recalled yet. Only time will be the definitive answer. Just trying to give you honest opinions based on facts and you seem worried about how it looks vs how it is actually going to function.
I would not touch this engine presently. Sure, Toyota will try and make it good. However, it appears they are only doing short blocks, not a complete engine replacement. Not for me!

I don’t think it is debatable. The nameplate is extremely important to the international brand.

I don’t think it is debatable. The nameplate is extremely important to the international brand.
That name plate means different things at different times...
e0qh07jg9lgb1.jpg

I don’t think Toyota would be rolling out this engine in their flagship vehicles if they didn’t believe in the longevity and reliability of the powertrain.
They did put the 3.4L V6TT into the LX600, their flagship of flagship vehicles. Reports of many LX600 engines self-destructing now, despite being a very low volume seller.

Back