Lockers and Disconnects

Central diff essentially changes the vehicle from AWD to 4WD. Anyone with a previous 4WD vehicle may be most comfortable with this explanation. You don't engage 4WD on pavement with good traction. You don't engage 4WD just because the pavement is wet.

I thought a locked center diff unlocked at 62 mph.

Considering the traction control and torque vectoring of the LC, many people would only use the rear locker on a second attempt at an obstacle.

I'm really impressed how well the AWD handles when being sporty on pavement.

You should be able to run the center lock at higher speeds but should not activate it above 60 mph. Slow down to 55, engage and then resume driving normal speed, assuming that conditions allow, as in slippery roads not on dry pavement (unless it is very cold, then even dry is slippery).

In a part time 4wd the center is always locked in 4H and there is no speed limit.
What is part time 4WD on the LC? I’ve traditionally understood that term to refer to a system like that of the outgoing 4Runner SR5 4WD - ie where one is in 2HI until engaging 4Hi or 4Lo.

What is part time 4WD on the LC? I’ve traditionally understood that term to refer to a system like that of the outgoing 4Runner SR5 4WD - ie where one is in 2HI until engaging 4Hi or 4Lo.
You are correct, there is no part time on the LC. It was just an example of how you can drive any speed with a locked center diff since in a part time system (like the non-Limited 4Runners) the center diff is always locked when in 4wd.

Here is a nice example of the utility of using the center diff lock with the rear diff lock to maximize traction:

4WD&AWD are not well defined terms anyway, especially outside of north America.

But, in my opinion, there are two types of systems, cheaper/simpler part-time 4WD systems, and more expensive/complicated full-time 4WD systems. There are multiple ways how a full-time 4WD system can be built, which largely depends what type of unit (open diff, limited slip diff, torque sensing diff or an independent drive unit) is used to split the torque between front and real axle.

For those that aren’t familiar with 4wd vehicles, I personally don’t engage 4wd when tires are in the process of spinning or when you are heavy on the gas pedal. If tires are spinning I’ll just stop and engage. When rolling along and I feel the need to engage(snow/mud) I let off the pedal then engage then back on the pedal. I do this in vehicles going from 2hi into 4wd or in vehicle’s such as a lc locking center differential.

From my limited You tube off road studies.... Yea.... you get the... I have no experience picture!

1. Locking the rear diff should only happen in Low range on Non... I repeat... Non high traction surfaces. Ie..Sand, Mud, slippery surfaces.

2. Locking the rear Dif will aid in keeping your LC STRAIGHT going down hill on a steep incline... again... apply only on Non high traction surfaces.

3. Sway bar disconnect.... when ever your front tire can't reach the road.... Just re-connect for a smoother ride back home.

How's my Youtube studies going???

4WD&AWD are not well defined terms anyway, especially outside of north America.

But, in my opinion, there are two types of systems, cheaper/simpler part-time 4WD systems, and more expensive/complicated full-time 4WD systems. There are multiple ways how a full-time 4WD system can be built, which largely depends what type of unit (open diff, limited slip diff, torque sensing diff or an independent drive unit) is used to split the torque between front and real axle.
Thanks, I’ve had vehicles w both basic types of systems over several decades.

I was just questioning the use of “part time” to refer to the LC’s system and he responded to that comment.

Back