Lockers and Disconnects

The manuals don't teach. The information is present, but there's no top down on 'why'. Not teaching in a manual is fine if the UI is good.

But I still don't know how the parking brake and hold buttons function. I can and will figure it out, but I should not have to at the level required. Broadly the Toyota UI is primitive and fragmented. We are at the end of an era of not only gas but of vehicle operating systems like we see from Toyota.

I really like my LC and don't regret the purchase at all. In fact, I like it more than expected. But from the standpoint of what should be expected from a UI in 2024 it's a mess that has resulted from low design skills in a legacy auto company.

I'll point out too the poor phone app.
Gen X software engineers that can’t see the trees through the woods. No logic or common sense. Enough said.

I find that Manuals and online wiki’s are the most accurate. Ask 20 people a question and you will get 20 different answers.
Agreed, though that is sort of the point. When people want a definitive answer to a question, they do one thing. When they want to talk about a subject in a “what’s your experience and opinion on…” way they do another.

RTFM comments to me demonstrate an inability to read the room, or an insistence that everyone else sees the situation as the person does making the comment. Might be generational, as you implied above.

The manuals don't teach. The information is present, but there's no top down on 'why'. Not teaching in a manual is fine if the UI is good.

But I still don't know how the parking brake and hold buttons function. I can and will figure it out, but I should not have to at the level required. Broadly the Toyota UI is primitive and fragmented. We are at the end of an era of not only gas but of vehicle operating systems like we see from Toyota.

I really like my LC and don't regret the purchase at all. In fact, I like it more than expected. But from the standpoint of what should be expected from a UI in 2024 it's a mess that has resulted from low design skills in a legacy auto company.

I'll point out too the poor phone app.
The electronic parking brake is just that. It is the same as a mechanical, except it is electronic with a button. It could be set to automatically apply when the vehicle is put in park or you can manually apply it.

Brake hold is a useful option at a red light. Once you stop, you push the brake a little hard and the brakes will hold. You don’t have to hold your foot on the brake pedal. When the light changes you tapped the gas and your brakes release in your will resume moving forward.

Brake hold is a useful option at a red light. Once you stop, you push the break a little hard and the brakes will hold. You don’t have to hold your foot on the brake pedal. When the light changes you tapped the gas and your brakes release in your will resume moving forward.
See there? I agree completely and I bet that’s not in the manual.

See there? I agree completely and I bet that’s not in the manual.
That’s where i learned it.

1723909905946.png

Center diff can be locked/unlocked in 4H and 4L. While moving up to 62mph

4L engaged while stopped and in neutral

Rear locker engaged only when in 4L with center diff locked and stopped. Don't exceed 5mph.

Sway bar disconnect enabled in 4H or 4L , while stopped or in motion, as long as vehicle speed is under 19mph. Center diff can be unlocked or locked. Will automatically reconnect after 19mph.
This is EXACTLY the info I was after!! Thank-you so much.

I didn’t understand the shifting to mode 1 and 2 in M ?
Please some explain that.
Does this mean place gear shift to manual mode and select 1st or 2 nd gear?

Auto parking brake...interesting...but would I trust it? I guess after some use.

I didn’t understand the shifting to mode 1 and 2 in M ?
Please some explain that.
Does this mean place gear shift to manual mode and select 1st or 2 nd gear?
Me too, I need to understand the 'why' on this one, as it was not immediately clear reading it. That being said...

The manual has so many misspellings and grammatical errors (mostly this) that Toyota should be positively ashamed to even print it. I've read several Toyota manuals, and never have I seen more than 1-2 errors in hundreds of pages. I found 5 errors on a page-and-a-half of the LC manual! It's disgraceful.

Only based on some information I have read about off-road driving in general (not in manual), the M 1 or 2 could offer the driver the ability to start from a dead stop in sand or mud, in 2nd gear when in 4 Low. This prevents wheels from spinning too fast off the dime and digging your wheels in if you were to start in 1st gear.
Could be wrong but this is my guess.

Not seeing anything about a stoplight.

I also, by the way, think the function is great when you’re in one of those interminable lines to get out of the parking lot after a concert or sporting event. Also not in the manual.
C'mon now. Do you expect the manual to list every single condition that a function could be used for? Brake hold, as the name suggest, holds the breaks applied, you can use it at stop sings, red lights, at your driveway, parking lot. Does it really needs to give a list conditions where such a function could be used?

I mean this is like expecting the manual to list all the objects one might see in their rear view mirror....

C'mon now. Do you expect the manual to list every single condition that a function could be used for? Brake hold, as the name suggest, holds the breaks applied, you can use it at stop sings, red lights, at your driveway, parking lot. Does it really needs to give a list conditions where such a function could be used?

I mean this is like expecting the manual to list all the objects one might see in their rear view mirror....
That was actually my point. These discussions are supposed to be anecdotal around real world experience. The other guy was taking the RTFM stance.

Let’s go back to the lockers !
This is my understanding.
Central diff will lock in 4h and 4l?

Rear diff will only lock in 4 low?

To lock bot you have to be in 4 LO?

You have to be in neutral to shift either way 4h to 4 lo and 4lo to 4 H ?

You can run 4H and center def lock up to 49mph apprx ?
Once I understand this part I will get int crawl/descent control and its proper use .
I hate ask for help on all this from forum vs reading manual , but I have read the manual multiple times and still not clear on all this .

Pardon my ignorance , but I am not alone on how all of this new technology works .
Thanks for your help

You should be able to run the center lock at higher speeds but should not activate it above 60 mph. Slow down to 55, engage and then resume driving normal speed, assuming that conditions allow, as in slippery roads not on dry pavement (unless it is very cold, then even dry is slippery).

In a part time 4wd the center is always locked in 4H and there is no speed limit.

Last edited:
Let’s go back to the lockers !
This is my understanding.
Central diff will lock in 4h and 4l?

Rear diff will only lock in 4 low?

To lock bot you have to be in 4 LO?

You have to be in neutral to shift either way 4h to 4 lo and 4lo to 4 H ?

You can run 4H and center def lock up to 49mph apprx ?
Once I understand this part I will get int crawl/descent control and its proper use .
I hate ask for help on all this from forum vs reading manual , but I have read the manual multiple times and still not clear on all this .

Pardon my ignorance , but I am not alone on how all of this new technology works .
Thanks for your help
1. Central diff will lock in 4h and 4l? Yes

2. Rear diff will only lock in 4 low? Yes

3. To lock bot you have to be in 4 LO? Yes. See 2

You have to be in neutral to shift either way 4h to 4 lo and 4lo to 4 H ? Yes

1. Central diff will lock in 4h and 4l? Yes

2. Rear diff will only lock in 4 low? Yes

3. To lock bot you have to be in 4 LO? Yes. See 2

You have to be in neutral to shift either way 4h to 4 lo and 4lo to 4 H ? Yes
To add to this. Central diff lock can be used at any speed, but it will not engage or disengage above 62 MPH.

1725674322610.png

You can leave brake hold on all the time and it will allow the driver to remove the foot from the brake after the vehicle is stopped for about two second. Touching the accelerator releases the brake, but the system is still on.

Brake hold essentially eliminates creep.

Last edited:
Back