Lockers and Disconnects

beammeup

📛 Founding Member
Aug 3, 2024
Media
North Shore of Lake Superior
Vehicles
2024 LC Premie - "Clark"
Please note that this is not a "when should I use....." type of question. I am strictly interested in the vehicle's capabilities!

I am coming from an '18 JLU Sahara with the 'SelecTrac (?)' transfer case and a limited slip rear diff. This vehicle was the best I have owned for Northern MN winter driving. The Rubicon's lockers were only available in 4WD-Low, whereas my Sahara's LSD was available 24/7. I also very much liked the combo of Full Time 4WD/ AWD and LSD to keep me out of trouble in the snow.

My question is this: What are the parameters under which the center and rear lockers will actuate? Is it 4WD Lo only or do they work in 4WD Hi as well? Is there a speed limit above which they will not actuate?

I cannot imagine a scenario wherein the sway bar disco might be used in 4WD HI, but am curious - are there gear range and speed limitations here as well?

Thanks!

You are going to be told this so I’ll go ahead and say it.

It is in the manual when the lockers can be engaged, how to engage them, when to disengage them, and the speed you should not go over with them locked.

Last edited:
I have read this section of the manual 3 times already and I still can’t remember any it.

Pages 437-449. It’s a good read. Probably the most important part of the entire manual.

In fact I think I might just go read it again now!

IMG_0664.jpeg
IMG_0665.jpeg
IMG_0666.jpeg
IMG_0667.jpeg

On the Toyota app, there is an abbreviated manual if you hit the “info” button under the picture of the LC.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the central diff is a limited slip torsen differential (most likely torsen type C). So it will be extremely capable even when the central diff not locked.

There are certain instances that it will be more capable without the diff being locked.

Keep in mind that the central diff is a limited slip torsen differential (most likely torsen type C). So it will be extremely capable even when the central diff not locked.

There are certain instances that it will be more capable without the diff being locked.
Thanks, it will be analogous to me switching from Full-time to Part-time 4WD on the Jeep. Similar limit as well. Is the rear diff a Torsen too?

This explains why Toyota discourages lockers except in very slippery conditions. And why a good full time four wheel drive system is superior to part time.

I would never use lockers on slippery roads. They are for offroad. Now if you did get stuck on a very slippery road, i would go to 4L and use lockers to get unstuck. But using lockers on slippery roads will cause you to have less control.

Center diff can be locked/unlocked in 4H and 4L. While moving up to 62mph

4L engaged while stopped and in neutral

Rear locker engaged only when in 4L with center diff locked and stopped. Don't exceed 5mph.

Sway bar disconnect enabled in 4H or 4L , while stopped or in motion, as long as vehicle speed is under 19mph. Center diff can be unlocked or locked. Will automatically reconnect after 19mph.

It is in the manual when the lockers can be engaged, how to engage them, when to disengage them, and the speed you should not go over with them locked.

Many of the things people discuss in life are documented somewhere. The nature of discourse is to share experiences and personal observations for context. This is why forums like this are here, otherwise let’s just have a wiki.

I have read this section of the manual 3 times already and I still can’t remember any it.

Pages 437-449. It’s a good read. Probably the most important part of the entire manual.

In fact I think I might just go read it again now!
The manual is downloadable as a PDF and it’s also available in your Toyota app.

Many of the things people discuss in life are documented somewhere. The nature of discourse is to share experiences and personal observations for context. This is why forums like this are here, otherwise let’s just have a wiki.
I find that Manuals and online wiki’s are the most accurate. Ask 20 people a question and you will get 20 different answers.

Also pointing people to Manuals teaches them become self-sufficient.

Thanks, it will be analogous to me switching from Full-time to Part-time 4WD on the Jeep. Similar limit as well. Is the rear diff a Torsen too?
I don't think that the rear (when not locked) is a mechanical LSD of any kind. Assuming that it is like the 5G 4Runner it has a brake based limited slip function similar to normal traction control that is actually very capable.

The manuals don't teach. The information is present, but there's no top down on 'why'. Not teaching in a manual is fine if the UI is good.

But I still don't know how the parking brake and hold buttons function. I can and will figure it out, but I should not have to at the level required. Broadly the Toyota UI is primitive and fragmented. We are at the end of an era of not only gas but of vehicle operating systems like we see from Toyota.

I really like my LC and don't regret the purchase at all. In fact, I like it more than expected. But from the standpoint of what should be expected from a UI in 2024 it's a mess that has resulted from low design skills in a legacy auto company.

I'll point out too the poor phone app.

I don't think that the rear (when not locked) is a mechanical LSD of any kind. Assuming that it is like the 5G 4Runner it has a brake based limited slip function similar to normal traction control that is actually very capable.
Isn't that called crawl control?

Isn't that called crawl control?
No that is yet another thing. Crawl control is like cruise control in that it controls speed while off-roading using power and braking. It does not control traction.

Reactions: Don
Back