Vehicles
LC mid trim
Is this true? ? ?
Could anyone verify this?

Attachments

• IMG_4988.jpeg
    IMG_4988.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 378
Yea it is the same guy as “the hybrid that can’t” thread. Who knows if it’s true. If it is I feel sorry for the guy. If not he may be a jeep fanboy or a lc200 owner. Many of the lc200 owners are intimidated by the 250. If true it is one out of how many thousands on the road?

I have no reason to doubt the validity, others on hear said they heard the same thing. The question is whether it’s truly an issue, true knock or something else going on. Time will tell, it’ll get sorted regardless. Within 12-18 months the gremlins should be taken care of.

If all of them have this noise, it is not an issue. Cars go through QC at factory before being released, an unusual engine noise this common would have been flagged.

The noise most likely is coming from the direct injection system operating at higher pressure at startup.

To me, this looks like a case of either a misinformed dealership service department or one taking advantage of a customer concern and billing Toyota for warranty work that is probably unneeded. Once they listened to every Land Cruiser on the lot and they sounded the same, it should have been case closed. Tacomas have a similar sound and mechanics working on them should know this.

Anyone else remember how many people panicked when they heard the self cleaning cycle for the direct injection systems? The forums were lit up with threads for a while until everyone realized it was normal.

(Referring to other Toyota engines)

To me, this looks like a case of either a misinformed dealership service department or one taking advantage of a customer concern and billing Toyota for warranty work that is probably unneeded. Once they listened to every Land Cruiser on the lot and they sounded the same, it should have been case closed. Tacomas have a similar sound and mechanics working on them should know this.
Good luck tearing apart a brand new engine and then going back to the owner saying it was normal and they made a misdiagnosis. I would be demanding they buyback the vehicle after that.

But the way dealer went mute on the issue afterwards makes misdiagnosis a real possibility. I mean what issue is so critical that they had to tear open the engine, but is also so illusive that they had to call in a special engine engineer from Toyota? And yet, after all this, dealer didn’t give a real answer to what was the issue, and just claimed a vague “bearing wear”.

Last edited:
Good luck tearing apart a brand new engine and then going back to the owner saying it was normal and they made a misdiagnosis. I would be demanding they buyback the vehicle after that.

But the way dealer went mute on the issue afterwards makes misdiagnosis a real possibility. I mean what issue is so critical that they had to tear open the engine, but is also so illusive that they had to call in a special engine engineer from Toyota? And yet, after all this, dealer didn’t give a real answer to what was the issue, and just claimed a vague “bearing wear”.
I suspect there was a real answer to this. I also suspect there was a settlement with the owner and I’m pretty sure an NDA was signed, so we will never know the true answer of this. Also, this is pretty common about the NDA part.

All car companies ship a few terrible vehicles. There's good evidence that Toyota releases fewer dogs than average.

My attitude is that I'm going lemon law in year one if I get a bad vehicle. Even with Toyota.

All car companies ship a few terrible vehicles. There's good evidence that Toyota releases fewer dogs than average.

My attitude is that I'm going lemon law in year one if I get a bad vehicle. Even with Toyota.
Certainly. But what are the odds that 4 such vehicles ending up in one dealers lot?

Isn’t this the engine that the service tech, under guidance from corporate Toyota, shut off fuel delivery to the number one cylinder, and the noise disappeared?

Is this true? ? ?
Could anyone verify this?
T
Yea it is the same guy as “the hybrid that can’t” thread. Who knows if it’s true. If it is I feel sorry for the guy. If not he may be a jeep fanboy or a lc200 owner. Many of the lc200 owners are intimidated by the 250. If true it is one out of how many thousands on the road?
I assure you it's true. You are more than welcome to come to my dealership and see my car torn apart. Corwin Toyota of Colorado Springs in Colorado. Black LC Trim with the brown interior. Hell... I'll even show ya'll the email where Toyota is buying it back from me.

Certainly. But what are the odds that 4 such vehicles ending up in one dealers lot?
The same odds that cause 100K engines to be recalled. I"m not saying it's the same but the odds are in our favor considering multiple people. Not just myself or this dealership have had this sound.

The same odds that cause 100K engines to be recalled. I"m not saying it's the same but the odds are in our favor considering multiple people. Not just myself or this dealership have had this sound.
Non of those engines had an external symptoms before they failed though. If you read owner reports, they failed within hours after unusual noises appeared, and vast majority thrown check engine lights as well. An unusual noise is significantly easier to catch than manufacturing debris.

Non of those engines had an external symptoms before they failed though. If you read owner reports, they failed within hours after unusual noises appeared, and vast majority thrown check engine lights as well. An unusual noise is significantly easier to catch than manufacturing debris.
It’s that because everyone wrote it off as a “normal” noise like everyone is doing with this engine? I’m saying they are the same but just that second hand guessing doesn’t help the situation. I’m trying to get them to tell me what the cause of failure is. I even told them..”even if that means yall tore the engine apart for a normal noise. It would be good to get some closure”. We will see what they say. New block coming in for mine. Though Toyota is buying mine back.

It’s that because everyone wrote it off as a “normal” noise like everyone is doing with this engine? I’m saying they are the same but just that second hand guessing doesn’t help the situation. I’m trying to get them to tell me what the cause of failure is. I even told them..”even if that means yall tore the engine apart for a normal noise. It would be good to get some closure”. We will see what they say. New block coming in for mine. Though Toyota is buying mine back.
This is completely anecdotal. I took my wife's Honda Pilot into the dealer for routine maintenance and asked them to check a few things. They came back and said it needed a new engine which I thought was crazy since it drove fine and had nothing wrong with it but it was under warranty with no deductible so I told them if they wanted to put a new engine in at 80,000 miles, have at it. I always suspected they were just taking advantage of the extended warranty we had purchased and juicing their service department revenue. Needless to say I don't take the vehicle to them for routine maintenance anymore. I view your experience through skeptical eyes towards the dealership at this point until they explain what the issue is. I would also like to see the look on their faces when they put the new block in and it sounds the same as it did before 🤣 :unsure:

This is completely anecdotal. I took my wife's Honda Pilot into the dealer for routine maintenance and asked them to check a few things. They came back and said it needed a new engine which I thought was crazy since it drove fine and had nothing wrong with it but it was under warranty with no deductible so I told them if they wanted to put a new engine in at 80,000 miles, have at it. I always suspected they were just taking advantage of the extended warranty we had purchased and juicing their service department revenue. Needless to say I don't take the vehicle to them for routine maintenance anymore. I view your experience through skeptical eyes towards the dealership at this point until they explain what the issue is. I would also like to see the look on their faces when they put the new block in and it sounds the same as it did before 🤣 :unsure:
Just got this too from salesman. I wanted to know if they sold they other LCs making the same noise. Why would some have it and others not?

1724089653518.jpeg

No idea if what he's saying is accurate. Is there anyone on the forum driving one that doesn't have that sound? Every one I've test driven while I wait for mine to arrive has sounded the same with that 4 cylinder direct injection ticking sound. Doesn't sound like he's too concerned about the noise regardless. A recent Car and Driver Article on the Land Cruiser had this in the comments section:

Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 12.56.53 PM.png

No idea if what he's saying is accurate. Is there anyone on the forum driving one that doesn't have that sound? Every one I've test driven while I wait for mine to arrive has sounded the same with that 4 cylinder direct injection ticking sound. Doesn't sound like he's too concerned about the noise regardless. A recent Car and Driver Article on the Land Cruiser had this in the comments section:

View attachment 8724
If it is indeed direct injection noise, it may be variable. A quick google search suggests the amount of “ticking” noise can be variable among injectors without an underlying performance issue. Using an engine cover seems to be the most common solution to mute this noise. We don’t have an engine cover on LC.

So the noise will be different for someone with 4 noisy injectors vs one noisy injector.

Back