LCP offroad tests, checking for 285 tire rub at full flex (video)

b407driver

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jun 7, 2024
Media
Colorado
Vehicles
2024 LCP Trail Dust
After a week of ownership and getting wheels/tires and rock rails installed, I finally took my new Trail Dust out just to check the offroad systems and make sure everything works (coming from a 2016 4Runner). I also wanted to check whether the Toyo OpenCountry ATIII tires (285/70 r18) tires rubbed, mounted to '24 Tacoma TRD 18" wheels (45 offset). I chose this nearby area as it had ~12-18" deep holes spaced to put tires in the air, i.e. full flex. Surface was soft, partially-consolidated fill dirt, very loose with few rocks. Did several runs and tried to take the same line, same speed, etc.
  1. First run I tried just in 4High, tires immediately spun on the first compression, I did not include this brief 'run' in the video;
  2. 2nd run locked the Center Differential;
  3. 3rd run added MTS-Sand (wanted to see if tire spin increased); and
  4. 4th run locked Rear Differential.
[I don't know what the noise was in the 'third' run at about 1:18, during the uphill wheel spin.]

No tire rub at full compression, all systems worked as expected. There was a spot at top where turned wheels were nearly fully compressed, so although I didn't test it in these holes shown in the video, I'm confident that there is also no rub fully compressed at full lock (will confirm later). This did bring up one question I have about DAC/CC compared to older systems, and that is:

When does the system (i.e. the single control button) initiate DAC vs. CC? Haven't gleaned this from the manual, and once it set itself to CC, another time it chose DAC, with no known input from me (I assume it may be linked to the vehicle's orientation, i.e. facing uphill vs facing downhill)?

Hope this helps people new to the platform choosing tires, or those new to off-roading wanting to see what these vehicles can do (stock tire size would have behaved similarly). Note in the last run how much less tire spin there is with the rear diff locked. DAC/Crawl Control was also engaged for one of the runs, but I didn't note which, and it's not really relevant.

Cheers,
Jeff

Full compression front, full droop rear.

Full compression rear, full droop front.

Awesome vid. I've only taken my LC off-road once so far. I think you have to actually engage the DAC/Crawl button for it to do those features. Once you engage it, the pull is immediate once you put it back in drive. I think that's what you were asking, right?

The articulation for a stock vehicle is truly impressive.
Thanks for posting this. I have a Dusty Trails that I'm putting 285/65/18 Falken AT4Ws in a SL load on with the same wheels (when they finally get here). I thought about going 285/70/18s but without many lift options yet, other then preload pucks, I decided to stay with the same diameter as the stock wheels and tires but with a wider footprint. The +45mm Taco TRD wheels seems to work perfectly with the LC stock suspension height. (y)

When does the system (i.e. the single control button) initiate DAC vs. CC? Haven't gleaned this from the manual, and once it set itself to CC, another time it chose DAC, with no known input from me (I assume it may be linked to the vehicle's orientation, i.e. facing uphill vs facing downhill)?
If I recall correctly from the manual - DAC is enabled if you are in 4Hi, and Crawl Control is only in 4Lo.

I watched another video - I think only the 100 series had more flex and quite a few vehicles were tested. It was pretty good without sway bar disconnect even. Thanks for sharing.

DId you try with the sway bar disconnect? Curious to see the difference it makes, supposed to be a big difference.

DId you try with the sway bar disconnect? Curious to see the difference it makes, supposed to be a big difference.
One of the runs was with swayer disconnect, but I don't think I noted which, and would have to review in detail 4 or 5 runs to see if I could figure it out.

@b407driver howโ€™s the ride on that combo? Any wheel shake or vibration at higher speeds?
No shakes/vibrations at all, it's perfect. The ride is great, running 38 psi, not notably different from stock other than feeling very slightly 'floaty' around some turns due to the significant increase in rubber depth, as would be expected.

No shakes/vibrations at all, it's perfect. The ride is great, running 38 psi, not notably different from stock other than feeling very slightly 'floaty' around some turns due to the significant increase in rubber depth, as would be expected.
Thanks for sharing! Does that tire setup fit in the spare tire space under the truck?

Back