LC vs 4Runner TRD PRO

I also had the same decision to make between those exact same models and color choices. Told dealer I wasn't completely sold on the 4R TRD Pro but said I would be interested in a LC but without markups so long story short, they complied and reserved a FE arriving that day or next. Couple days later I test drove and went home with that same FE Trail Dust. I do wish I could have afforded to have both in my drive but the LCFE was the better choice for me in many ways as mentioned in video.

I find the LC a much more refined vehicle than my ‘21 4runner pro.
The pro I bet will hold its value well though, in a few years, people will want that bullet proof engine that’s much easier to work on, plus less parts to break.
The LC will take a beat to hell road at 70 about as good as the 4runner Offroad, but nothing like the Pro. The good news is the LC wants to stay on the freeway where the pro would dash off to the ditch the second you looked away.
If you’re going to pull a trailer over 2.5k with the pro you’ll be disappointed, that’s actually the whole reason I traded the forerunner in for a LC. This also leads me to believe the LC will do a lot better going up steep grades in the mountains.
Getting a pro, waiting a few years then trading it in when dealerships stop trying to be assholes about LC pricing might be decent compromise. I traded my pro in for 5000 more than I paid for it even after four years and 40,000 miles. The worst thing about a 4runner is when the needle bearing breaks and Toyota acts like they have no idea what could be wrong, even thought every 4runner or Tacoma forums have tons of complaints about it. But that’s about the only problem you’ll ever have. Not sure if LC uses the same shitty tech.

Final conclusion, I’m happy with what I did, however I wish I could have kept both. That pro is an amazing desert runner that can still crawl over rocks.
If you have any doubts about the 4.0 in the 4runner, go watch a video of terrorists driving around.

pdizzie...totally agree with your assessment as I also sold a '21 4runner ted pro to get the LC.

Since I"m only on gravel/dirt/offroad 4-5 X per month, I love the LC's on-road manners. And, since I pull a trailer for some of my BLM/Forest Service adventures, I won't miss the 4Runner's 5-speed transmission. I haven't pushed the LC's limits yet (only 520 miles so far) but aren't too worried. A 2-inch lift and rock rails are in its future.

Attachments

• IMG_5212.jpg
    IMG_5212.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 41
pdizzie...totally agree with your assessment as I also sold a '21 4runner ted pro to get the LC.

Since I"m only on gravel/dirt/offroad 4-5 X per month, I love the LC's on-road manners. And, since I pull a trailer for some of my BLM/Forest Service adventures, I won't miss the 4Runner's 5-speed transmission. I haven't pushed the LC's limits yet (only 520 miles so far) but aren't too worried. A 2-inch lift and rock rails are in its future.
I’ve pushed it just a tad the last two days.. I’m thinking you’d be fine with a lift..
The pro just wasn’t fun over 50mph on the freeway.. drove over curbs like a champ though!!

Another former TRD Pro owner here, and agree with everything. The LC is an upgrade in every way except the suspension... but thats easy to fix. I quite enjoyed the Fox shocks with Westcott perch, paired with Eibach rear coils.

The high end six gen 4runner is essentially the same vehicle as LC.

I think the LC is the upscale version of the new 4Runner.. but still prefer the AWD as opposed to 4x4 I had in my previous TRD Pro.

Doug Demuro did a comparison. It's functionally the same base vehicle from what I remember. Different interiors, moved the controls around, but likely all the drive components are identical.

If the high end 4runner has a v6 option that may be preferable to some over the hybrid LC.

Doug Demuro did a comparison. It's functionally the same base vehicle from what I remember. Different interiors, moved the controls around, but likely all the drive components are identical.

If the high end 4runner has a v6 option that may be preferable to some over the hybrid LC.
I’m guessing the 4Runner will have the same set of engines the Tacoma has, which might include a non-hybrid turbo 4.

I can’t imagine they’d put the 6 from the Tundra in it without also making that available in the LC.

4Runner engines are the exact same lineup as the Tacoma.. regular turbo 4 and turbo 4 hybrid in the upper models.

Reactions: Don
Not sure if any newer 4Runner will have a center differential and rear locking differential. Maybe the platinum?
The last I saw, the off-road trims will be part time 4WD and have a locking rear diff. The Limited trim will be full time 4WD and have a locking center diff but no rear locking diff. That was based on the initial press release info.

Last edited:
Having the 4Runner TRDpro and after test drive the LC I couldn't agree more with the video.
4Runner is awesome, but the LC is just the natural evolution. in every way.
He had the same complaint as me on the indexed steering wheel. I miss that.

Back