LandCruiser LC + options vs. FE: LC works out to $6k less?

From what I can tell our local car wash will trash the FE's roof rack with ease. Car washes are a winter necessity in NW MT just to get the road grime removed and to get underbody spray to remove MgCL road salt. Not for me. What was Toyota thinking? Overland use only?
I'm glad you raised this issue, as it has crossed my mind also. A perk, and a mediocre one, as it does not do the underbody, from our Toyota dealer is lifetime included ("free" is not in my vocabulary) washes.

I get an msrp of about $70K for a LC w/ Premium vs $77K msrp for decked out FE. I don't see the value difference either. Must be the First Edition significance...

What's the deal with 20" wheels? Why would anyone want them? Improved on road performance? With lower side walls they are a hindrance when traveling on 2 track USFS roads.
In heavy rock country here, I fear 20" wheels would be a real detriment. Will I be forced to accept them if on my LC in the queue? Unfortunately, probably. With good 18" wheels, not to mention tires, at roughly $2K/set, ouch!

I get an msrp of about $70K for a LC w/ Premium vs $77K msrp for decked out FE. I don't see the value difference either. Must be the First Edition significance...
I'm with you on this logic. Have done the same math, and it is at least a $5K premium for the status of owning a FE.

What's the deal with 20" wheels? Why would anyone want them? Improved on road performance? With lower side walls they are a hindrance when traveling on 2 track USFS roads.

I despise 20” and larger wheels on any body on frame truck or SUV. All they’re good for is ruining ride quality, reducing capabilities that matter, and increasing rotational unsprung mass… further ruining ride and handling.

They’re for morons who buy these things as status symbols to cruise the mall with.

Same for spacer lift kits, leveling kits, most aftermarket wheels, and many other JC Whitney level cosmetic mods that end up doing more harm than good all for looks.

Stick with 18”s, put on a decent set of 3PMSF all terrains because Toyota neglected to, put a nice ceramic tint on the windows to reject heat and keep the interior materials protected from the sun and keep glare down. Then just drive the truck that way for a minimum of 6 months before you do anything else to it.

If you live in snow country buy a set of takeoff stock wheels and have a set of dedicated snow tires put on. Someone will inevitably sell their high quality stock OEM wheels for some Ricky Jimbo Moto-Tard bling wheels, buy their originals at a discount.

I despise 20” and larger wheels on any body on frame truck or SUV. All they’re good for is ruining ride quality, reducing capabilities that matter, and increasing rotational unsprung mass… further ruining ride and handling.

They’re for morons who buy these things as status symbols to cruise the mall with.

Same for spacer lift kits, leveling kits, most aftermarket wheels, and many other JC Whitney level cosmetic mods that end up doing more harm than good all for looks.

Stick with 18”s, put on a decent set of 3PMSF all terrains because Toyota neglected to, put a nice ceramic tint on the windows to reject heat and keep the interior materials protected from the sun and keep glare down. Then just drive the truck that way for a minimum of 6 months before you do anything else to it.

If you live in snow country buy a set of takeoff stock wheels and have a set of dedicated snow tires put on. Someone will inevitably sell their high quality stock OEM wheels for some Ricky Jimbo Moto-Tard bling wheels, buy their originals at a discount.
Good advice, but careful now. I put several JC Whitney lifetime guarantee exhausts on my 1970 Triumph TR6. They bolted right to the frame w/o the vibration reducing hangers and only lasted about 12 months.

Trying to figure out what I'm missing here, but if I go to Toyota's website and configure an 'LC' version to have all the possible options that the FE has as standard, the price of the LC comes out $6k cheaper. So far the only differences I've read about that can't be added are the FE mudflaps (dubious 'upgrade', anyway), and some amount of FE badging on the interior. OK, different color wheels, I don't care.

Basically the build I'm looking at is Premium, plus upgraded roof rack, sliders, skid plate, but I'm not seeing where the $6k difference comes in. It can't possibly be just in the limited edition name, can it?
I believe some of the differences are the: round headlights, off-road shocks, sway bar disconnect and some other off road features. You really have to dig not the details and you will see. Depends on what your priorities are. Several LCs on the market now. Few First Editions since many are still stuck at port for “QC issues”.

High-profit add-on 20" wheels do not cost THAT much more than 18". They might do a tad bit better cornering, but that is all... Heck, the Luxury+ GX550 has 22" wheels, so definitely a mall cruiser!

In heavy rock country here, I fear 20" wheels would be a real detriment. Will I be forced to accept them if on my LC in the queue? Unfortunately, probably. With good 18" wheels, not to mention tires, at roughly $2K/set, ouch!
Method wheels has a good selection of wheels that will look good on the LC. If the wheels I took off my Tacoma don't fit, I'm going with Method bead grip 703s

I believe some of the differences are the: round headlights, off-road shocks, sway bar disconnect and some other off road features. You really have to dig not the details and you will see. Depends on what your priorities are. Several LCs on the market now. Few First Editions since many are still stuck at port for “QC issues”.
FE doesn't have different shocks. The LC also gets the sway bar disconnect.

But, they have the round headlights on the 1958 Edition, so doubtful they are pricier than the rectangular. The LC trim has the sway bar disconnect. Was not aware there was a difference with the shocks. The big differences I see are the rock sliders and roof rack, and of course interior trim "First Edition" embossing.

The First Edition is just a strait up money grab by Toyota and of course Toyota dealers that will mark them up absurdly.

The First Edition is just a strait up money grab by Toyota and of course Toyota dealers that will mark them up absurdly.
Agreed, Toyota did not get to be #1 by being dumb. My small dealer floated $10K over, but ended up purchasing it for himself to add to his collection. Admittedly, he does have several vintage LC's.

Agreed, Toyota did not get to be #1 by being dumb. My small dealer floated $10K over, but ended up purchasing it for himself to add to his collection. Admittedly, he does have several vintage LC's.
Too funny, my dealer let me have the 1st, first edition as he wanted a 1958. Then they got a second allocation FE and he's buying that one as well.

Trying to figure out what I'm missing here, but if I go to Toyota's website and configure an 'LC' version to have all the possible options that the FE has as standard, the price of the LC comes out $6k cheaper. So far the only differences I've read about that can't be added are the FE mudflaps (dubious 'upgrade', anyway), and some amount of FE badging on the interior. OK, different color wheels, I don't care.

Basically the build I'm looking at is Premium, plus upgraded roof rack, sliders, skid plate, but I'm not seeing where the $6k difference comes in. It can't possibly be just in the limited edition name, can it?
Yes I did the math and went with LC+ premium. You also don’t get the round headlights if you care about that . Bummer is my LC has been sitting at the Benicia Port since mid April. I don’t know if the premium package is causing the delays.

From what I can tell our local car wash will trash the FE's roof rack with ease. Car washes are a winter necessity in NW MT just to get the road grime removed and to get underbody spray to remove MgCL road salt. Not for me. What was Toyota thinking? Overland use only?
I'm not catching your drift, what aspect is it that you think will get trashed by the carwash?

I'm not catching your drift, what aspect is it that you think will get trashed by the carwash?
Cross bars are likely targets for car wash brushes. Better to find a no touch car wash.

Cross bars are likely targets for car wash brushes. Better to find a no touch car wash.
Ah, gotcha, so really no different than any other car with crossbars. I only use touchless, works fine for the mag chloride and general gunk. It's really the undercarriage wash I care most about in winter.

Ah, gotcha, so really no different than any other car with crossbars. I only use touchless, works fine for the mag chloride and general gunk. It's really the undercarriage wash I care most about in winter.
Luckily, the "free" car wash at our Toyota dealer utilizes foam stringers, not brushes per se. However, I always survey a vehicle or two prior to me, to insure there is not a redneck truck covered with mud. However, sadly, it does not spray the underbody.

Back