Land Cruiser FE tires

Ed1

📛 Founding Member
Apr 29, 2024
Media
Northeast US
Just wondering if anyone who has received a FE could let us know what tire brand and model are installed on the vehicle.

I think I saw “Michelin LTX trail” in one photo. That tire seems to have less than stellar reviews.

My driving profile is mostly suburban and highway, with occasional dirt road and sand. Potential snow/ice in winter. Will use whatever tires come on the vehicle until it’s time to get new ones.

Last edited:
Do you think there’s enough room to put 275s Toyos on instead of 265s, extra half inch?
I would think so but I haven't tried. I will probably keep the stock size myself because I want to keep the stock geometry and I like my speedometer to be correct. The owner's manual doesn't want you to even put chains on this tire size. I plan on getting chains. There's plenty of room.

I would think so but I haven't tried. I will probably keep the stock size myself because I want to keep the stock geometry and I like my speedometer to be correct. The owner's manual doesn't want you to even put chains on this tire size. I plan on getting chains. There's plenty of room.
It seems like every new car manual says this now (no chains)?

Edit to add: in a video from Toyta's SEMA measuring session, one of the Toyota folks said they are designed to fit 33" tires stock. Which would seem to say there's some extra room.

In California at least the reality is that across the last four vehicles I've owned, any time chains were required they've waived me on though with all terrain tires. Even in the Subaru I owned between Toyota 4x4's! I've always carried at least tire cables, and on our new car that's really tight on clearance, tire socks.

Last edited:
I have access to a brand new GX550, just did some wheel inspection. Not sure if LC will have the same components on suspension.

-33" diagonal will definitely fit

-OEM tire, 265/70/18, has about 1" clearance with knuckle (upper area by top of tire) (wide tires will have issue, and I have 33/12.5/18 on order, damn it), perhaps spacer will require to clear wide tires with OEM offset, or go with aftermarket wheels with more aggressive offset.

-All other area should clear with no issue, at all angles with 33", not too wide width, I would say 285 no problem.

-OEM GX550 wheel size is 18x7.5J

-What does 50 CMZ mean? Is that the wheel offset of 50?

Mine came with Michelin LTX trail
"On-Road All-Terrain tires are for drivers who want a combination of focused on-road refinement, with some light off-road capability and all-season versatility, including traction in light snow. On-Road All-Terrain tires -may be- branded with the M+S and three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbols are sometimes used as Original Equipment (O.E.) on light-duty 4WD trucks, crossovers and sport utility vehicles.

O.E. On-Road All-Terrain light truck tires are typically purchased as direct replacements for worn-out pairs/sets of the vehicle's original tires. They can also be used for other vehicle applications in complete sets of four, or axle pairs if available in an appropriate size, load range and speed rating to match the existing O.E. tires' performance category and specifications.

Note: While non-winter tires featuring the 3PMSF provide additional longitudinal snow traction beyond what all-season (M+S) tires not bearing the symbol can deliver, they do not match the capability of a true winter tire in all adverse weather conditions."

I've taken a look at the Michelin LTX Trail tires both at tirerack.com and on Michelin's own website. The Michelin site states that the tire was developed with "the world's leading truck manufacturers". There are 11 consumer reviews on Michelin's site, many from Tundra owners. All of those reviews are poor - one and two stars. Wearing quickly is often mentioned, as well as punctures and soft sidewalls. Tirerack reviews (9) mention wearing and poor traction, particularly in wet, snow or ice conditions. On sale at tirerack.com for $162 each. Michelin LTX A/T2 are more than twice that price. (Both are On-Road All-Terrain tires.)

I don't want to replace tires when new, but that is what I've found. I know it's not lot of reviews, but I'm not sure if this tire is worthy of the LC.

Last edited:
I've taken a look at the Michelin LTX Trail tires both at tirerack.com and on Michelin's own website. The Michelin site states that the tire was developed with "the world's leading truck manufacturers". There are 11 consumer reviews on Michelin's site, many from Tundra owners. All of those reviews are poor - one and two stars. Wearing quickly is often mentioned, as well as rock punctures and soft sidewalls. Tirerack reviews (9) mention wearing and poor traction, particularly in wet, snow or ice conditions. On sale at tirerack.com for $162 each. Michelin LTX A/T2 are almost twice that price. (Both are On-Road All-Terrain tires.)

I don't want to replace tires when new, but that is what I've found. I know it's not lot of reviews, but I'm not sure if this tire is worthy of the LC.
Yup, read the same reviews awhile back. Sounds like one will have to set their expectations a bit lower if you are gonna keep these. Strange that Michelin apparently missed the boat on these as many of their other LTX tires that I have had were very good and excellent reviews. (mostly touring type for trucks/SUVs).

I have access to a brand new GX550, just did some wheel inspection. Not sure if LC will have the same components on suspension.

-33" diagonal will definitely fit

-OEM tire, 265/70/18, has about 1" clearance with knuckle (upper area by top of tire) (wide tires will have issue, and I have 33/12.5/18 on order, damn it), perhaps spacer will require to clear wide tires with OEM offset, or go with aftermarket wheels with more aggressive offset.

-All other area should clear with no issue, at all angles with 33", not too wide width, I would say 285 no problem.

-OEM GX550 wheel size is 18x7.5J

-What does 50 CMZ mean? Is that the wheel offset of 50?
The GX 550 Overtrail comes stock with 18" wheels and Toyo Open Country AT 3. It's basically the same geometry. I believe a few of the vehicles during the journalist's driving event last month were riding on the Toyo tires.

Finally, if you look closely at the original launch announcement you will see both vehicles are riding on Toyo tires which were developed with Toyota for the GX.

I suspect these tires serve 2 purposes, gas mileage and cost reduction.

My first modification on my LX 600 was changing out the horrible Dunlops that came standard on it. I put on some big ass Toyo's on the 22" F-Sport rims. :)

The tires on the Land Cruiser trim that these two guys are driving is the Toyo Open Country.

Last edited:
Back