Key Signal Theft Deterrent.

Stalactically Gupid

📛 Founding Member
Jun 12, 2024
Media
Lehigh Valley
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser 58
Thieves are targeting owners of expensive vehicles with electronic sniffers outside their house to steal the electric pass key signal from your key and start/steal your car.
For years I simply put my jeep key in a faraday bag (usually just free signal-blocking bag that comes with EZ-Pass receiver). However, I noticed that Toyota now has a theft deterrent built into the smart keys.
After locking the vehicle, hold the keyfob LOCK button down while pressing the UNLOCK button twice. Keep holding the LOCK button and you’ll see a red LED on your keyfob blink 4 times confirming the signal from your keyfob is now turned off.
Press ‘UNLOCK’ and your keyfob returns to normal signaling.

Last edited:
I park mine in the garage at night and put my key in a faraday box well away from the front door. You can buy a faraday box or faraday bag on amazon. I'm not paranoid. It's a real threat keeping your keys on a hook by the front door.

I put my keys in an old brass candy dish. It seems to work pretty well. Our Volvo key has a motion sensor in it and stops transmitting if it hasn't moved for something like 20-30 minutes.

Last edited:
I actually keep my keys in my vehicles in the garage at night. However, my neighborhood has a gate which is open 24/7 to allow for easy delivery of packages and visitors.

Toyota newest FOBs that we have should not be cloneable. Starting last year Toyota implemented a better security system on higher end vehicles. The CANBUS attack through accessing wiring should also be more difficult.

I'm interested in an evidence/stories that our system has been hacked.

Apparently many Toyotas have been stolen and put in containers to Africa. I hate to think about where our vehicles ranks in desirability for that sort of export.

Toyota newest FOBs that we have should not be cloneable. Starting last year Toyota implemented a better security system on higher end vehicles. The CANBUS attack through accessing wiring should also be more difficult.

I'm interested in an evidence/stories that our system has been hacked.

Apparently many Toyotas have been stolen and put in containers to Africa. I hate to think about where our vehicles ranks in desirability for that sort of export.
I know a GX550 was stolen in Canada a few months ago so i'm not sure we are immune. He left it parked in a hotel parking lot while on vacation and it was gone when he came back. I believe he posted at one point that the police said they probably cloned the key. He did end up buying another GX to replace the stolen one.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 9.41.46 AM.png

I know a GX550 was stolen in Canada a few months ago so i'm not sure we are immune. He left it parked in a hotel parking lot while on vacation and it was gone when he came back. I believe he posted at one point that the police said they probably cloned the key. He did end up buying another GX to replace the stolen one.
Good find. But you can see the old knowledge in the thread. "One of the easiest to steal". That's not true anymore, unless Toyota screwed up the new security system.

I may get IGLA or a kill switch. My concern is interstate motels overnight.

Of course the GX550 owner could have done something like leave a spare FOB in the car. Or the vehicle was towed.

It was up by Toronto and Toyota/Lexus thefts are out of control up there. Cars are put on a shipping container and disappear quickly.
Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 11.51.28 AM.png

Last edited:
I park mine in the garage at night and put my key in a faraday box well away from the front door. You can buy a faraday box or faraday bag on amazon. I'm not paranoid. It's a real threat keeping your keys on a hook by the front door.
My keys are always stored in a faraday box while at home and parked on street .These keys while convenient are a godsend to potential thieves.

My 2018 4runner was stolen from my driveway back in June, which is why I've got the LC now

Was gonna look into getting a Ravelco installed on my LC this time, check it out...

I actually keep my keys in my vehicles in the garage at night. However, my neighborhood has a gate which is open 24/7 to allow for easy delivery of packages and visitors.
Even if the gate is operational, these can open the exit gate. You did this by sliding a piece of metal underneath the gate on top of the metal detector in the asphalt. That's how a gate opens automatically when you pull up to it. The best deterrent for that would be to use your code to open that gate.
You've gotta watch out for these gangs of the Eagles posing as landscaping and long care guys. Some of them putting their own motion detectors in shrubbery by your doors or garages so they know when you leave.

Back