Kayak and Canoe

Edennis3

📛 Founding Member
Jun 25, 2024
Media
WA
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser 1958
Has anyone put a canoe or kayak atop the OEM roof rack? I have been looking at boat carriers. Was also looking at Thule Hullavator but it needs a bar/rail that extends outboard of the rails. Has anyone got pictures of their kayak and how they got it attached and stop such a tall vehicle? Thx

I use the taco attachment
IMG_3331.jpeg

Sorry, that wasn’t helpful. Unless you have a taco. For roof rails and crossbars, i’d think just tying the sloop to the crossbars would get it done. No?

I haven't done kayak yet, but for paddleboards it's not bad getting up there, although maybe it would be for someone particularly short.

I imagine you could do the same with a kayak with some crossbar padding. Canoe might be a bit more of a beast however!

IMG_8778.jpeg

Thanks to you both. There are two challenges: first I’m only 5’3” and the kayak weighs more than 50 lbs. no way I’m hoisting it up there even with rollers in the rear. second, the oem rack I’m waiting on appears to conceal the rails and it might be difficult to attach a tower and cross bar to mount a lift like the Thule Helevator or Yakima equivalent. Has anybody tried attaching towers and longer bars to the existing rack? The canoe is 30 lbs and I can probably pad the oem cross bars and strap it down so long as there is enough height for the bow to clear the roof. Was wondering if anyone tried that already as well and if it clears.

I’ve been wondering this myself. I have Thule cross bars that will attach to the mid-trim rails, but I’m not sure the furthest forward position will provide enough stability for our ~17 ft tandem kayak. I’d love a full length rail option!

Back