Hybrid longevity

jhiller

đź“› Founding Member
Sep 17, 2024
michigan
Vehicles
2024 LC
Anyone else have concerns about the longevity of the hybrid system in the new LC ? For many folks LC's are acquire and keep vehicles and I wonder how the battery and electric system will age ?

Anyone else have concerns about the longevity of the hybrid system in the new LC ? For many folks LC's are acquire and keep vehicles and I wonder how the battery and electric system will age ?
Just consider the battery a maintenance item like a timing belt replacement. By the time the battery needs to be replaced, it won’t be that expensive. Toyota knows hybrids better than anyone

Yes. I suppose that is the only reasonable way to look at it

Many years ago when the tech was new, having a battery go bad in a Toyota hybrid was the kiss of death. I knew someone that was quoted $10K for a whole new battery, and this was +10 years ago. The car was worth maybe that? Now, they replace the 'bad cell' and not the whole battery, or replace the whole thing with a reman'ed battery (bad cells replaced). There is a cottage industry of folks that do this as well on older hybrids. Drastically cheaper, think >$1000 vs. $1,000's. The battery tech has improved by leaps and bounds as well.

On longevity of Toyota hybrid, we’re still driving our 2012 Pirus with 215k miles on original hybrid battery pack and so far, the only the major work has been brakes at 185k and water pump at 205k. Battery pack is still holding decent amount of charge and averaging 48mpg on regular commute.

When battery pack does go, we’ve got $2k budgeted for replacement at our local shop and refurbished battery pack is readily available.

The reason for my Cruiser is because someone totaled my 17 Camry Hybrid with 174k. I owned a Prius before that. Toyota batteries last much longer than other hybrids, and are serviceable (can replace cells) as others have stated. I would not worry about it.

However, what you can control is ventilation to the battery. IIRC, just open your rear doors and look at the vents behind the seats on the side. You'll want to check the "filters" or "screens" in them annually or semi annually. They can get clogged with dust. Do this and you should be good for a long time.

Back