How Trader Joe’s, Costco, and the Iraq War led to my choosing the Land Cruiser.

Bluey

📛 Founding Member
Sep 20, 2024
Media
Washington
I was parking at the Trader Joe’s when I noticed a fire fighters license plate on a large SUV. It was a Chevy Tahoe and it also had a decal in the back window. It was some sort of iron cross, could barely make out the words, but got the impression it might be a fire fighter union or association sticker. Startred to notice more of those plates and decals on other vehicles over several years. It seemed like they were nearly always on large body on frame vehicles. I came up with a theory as to why. Only a theory but here it is; First responders rescue and recover people from crashes for a living. Maybe they chose the large body on frame vehicles for their families because of what they have seen. Maybe more people survive in these type of vehicles. I have a two year old and my priorities have changed. Safely is my top priority.

I drove a M998 HMMWV “hummer” across Iraq in 2003. It was also a body on frame vehicle and it never let me down. Some colleagues of mine drove one over an anti tank mine. Luckily because our unit’s HMMWVs were not armored the explosive just ripped off the entire front of the vehicle. They had concussive injuries but no loss of limb or life. They all walked away. Months later our unit mechanics had it rebuilt and running missions again. That was over twenty years ago. Given my humble theory about the fire fighters privately owned vehicles and my life experiences I decided my next vehicle would be a body on frame.

It was early this year (2024) when I was parking at Costco and saw this old Range Rover Defender (not sure which model exactly) with a nice blue paint job and a grey roof. I thought man it looked great and how cool would it be if there was a modern equivalent. Something with modern safety features and more importantly something more reliable like a Toyota.

I already had a 1998 2door Tahoe as a fun weekend truck but had already decided that it was time to let it go. I just sold it last week. Several months ago I started researching Land Cruisers. I saw the heritage blue and grey roof. Read that it was made in Japan. Already knew that it was body on frame. Watched several videos about the LC 250, but it was AMD’s (The Care Care Nut) review of it that sealed the deal. When I saw it had zerk fittings on the drive shaft I was sold. Reminded me of doing the PMCS (preventative maintenance checks and services) on my old work truck the HMMWV.

That led to my search for the “ever elusive mid trim nonprem LC250”. Wanted the blue one, but ended up putting my deposit on a Meteor Shower one instead. Just got a call today at lunch. It should be arriving in the next couple of days. Today after that call, the anticipation is thrilling. Been on this forum everyday reading, sharing, researching, making friends, and having fun.

Last edited:
Great background story and outstanding logic supporting your purchase of a new LC.

I believe many of us can agree with and mirror many of your sentiments and reasons.... Safety, built like a tank-Land Cruiser, outstanding looks, and Toyota reliability. Combine all of these elements with Land Cruiser's long history and earned reputation, you have a win win.

I was parking at the Trader Joe’s when I noticed a fire fighters license plate on a large SUV. It was a Chevy Tahoe and it also had a decal in the back window. It was some sort of iron cross, could barely make out the words, but got the impression it might be a fire fighter union or association sticker. Startred to notice more of those plates and decals on other vehicles over several years. It seemed like they were nearly always on large body on frame vehicles. I came up with a theory as to why. Only a theory but here it is; First responders rescue and recover people from crashes for a living. Maybe they chose the large body on frame vehicles for their families because of what they have seen. Maybe more people survive in these type of vehicles. I have a two year old and my priorities have changed. Safely is my top priority.

I drove a M998 HMMWV “hummer” across Iraq in 2003. It was also a body on frame vehicle and it never let me down. Some colleagues of mine drove one over an anti tank mine. Luckily because our unit’s HMMWVs were not armored the explosive just ripped off the entire front of the vehicle. They had concussive injuries but no loss of limb or life. They all walked away. Months later our unit mechanics had it rebuilt and running missions again. That was over twenty years ago. Given my humble theory about the fire fighters privately owned vehicles and my life experiences I decided my next vehicle would be a body on frame.

It was early this year (2024) when I was parking at Costco and saw this old Range Rover Defender (not sure which model exactly) with a nice blue paint job and a grey roof. I thought man it looked great and how cool would it be if there was a modern equivalent. Something with modern safety features and more importantly something more reliable like a Toyota.

I already had a 1998 2door Tahoe as a fun weekend truck but had already decided that it was time to let it go. I just sold it last week. Several months ago I started researching Land Cruisers. I saw the heritage blue and grey roof. Read that it was made in Japan. Already knew that it was body on frame. Watched several videos about the LC 250, but it was AMD’s (The Care Care Nut) review of it that sealed the deal. When I saw it had zerk fittings on the drive shaft I was sold. Reminded me of doing the PMCS (preventative maintenance checks and services) on my old work truck the HMMWV.

That led to my search for the “ever elusive mid trim nonprem LC250”. Wanted the blue one, but ended up putting my deposit on a Meteor Shower one instead. Just got a call today at lunch. It should be arriving in the next couple of days. Today after that call, the anticipation is thrilling. Been on this forum everyday reading, sharing, researching, making friends, and having fun.
That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully you'll love it and yeah then non premium LC is elusive. I don't know that I've seen many of those suckers pop up on toyota.com's search inventory page. Let's hope the reliability is as good as Toyota trucks in years past. I've got 372,000 miles on my 99' 4Runner so the bar has been set high.

Back