how to disable back up sensor

jboo

đź“› Founding Member
Jul 6, 2024
Eugene, Oregon
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser edition
This is probably a dumb question but Im going to ask it anyway. I just installed a hitch bike rack for my mountain bikes but the back up sensor keeps giving a warning and then slams on the brakes. Not ideal as I have the rack on year round. Tried to follow the manual to disable with no success. I read that if a 7 pin trailer plug is inserted it prevents the warnings. Maybe the final solution. I would appreciate any ideas or thoughts.

A button on the left side by the trunk button turns the sensors off.

Thanks guys, Its not ideal but I can live with the sensors going off if I can avoid the whiplash. Do you know if it resets everytime it's restarted ?

Yes. I think using the tow/haul button is the way to go. Mine hasn’t come in yet, but I also cycle and will need to figure this out as well. I’ll be asking the dealership what the recommend.

besides turning off parking brake assist on left of sterring wheel. Go to the dash settings and turn off sensors. Unfortunately this turns off the front sensors as well :/ if you can live with the beeping then I recommend just turning off parking brake assist only.

Toyota needs to update this for us bikers with 24/7 bike racks.

Wow! This is disappointing. Toyota needs to do a software upgrade for a bike rack option and fix this. How did they miss people carrying bikes with their LC?

This is probably a dumb question but Im going to ask it anyway. I just installed a hitch bike rack for my mountain bikes but the back up sensor keeps giving a warning and then slams on the brakes. Not ideal as I have the rack on year round. Tried to follow the manual to disable with no success. I read that if a 7 pin trailer plug is inserted it prevents the warnings. Maybe the final solution. I would appreciate any ideas or thoughts.
Same issue… I’ve tried all the solutions below and none of them work… ordered a Carista odb2 to try and change some other settings that reset every time you start the car so I’ll let you know if that works

I have a bicycle rack and this is my workaround for now. I disable the parking support brake using the button and when it starts screaming at me in reverse I touch the sound button on my touchscreen to mute it. Bottom right corner. Not ideal, but works for now.

I also ordered a Carista and will see if that gives me more options.

Carista don’t work… can adjust distance on front sensor - nothing for rear sensor(s)

Having a similar issue with a front sensor. My mechanic installed the front license plate off center rather than drilling holes in the front bumper and one of the sensors is blocked intermittently, Called dealer and they just want to drill holes. That's not how they get 6 stars. Will visit my mechanic to fix ang get first oil change at 1000 miles. Dealer will only do at 5000.

This will sound strange .......... but I once solved a backup camera installation problem by drilling a hole in the license plate the same size as the camera Lense approx 1/2", worked like a charm. You might try taking an old plate, drill a hole and see if it works and you can live with it, if you can ...... drill a hole in the good plate.

Back