How does the hybrid

DD214

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Apr 21, 2024
Media
western mass
Vehicles
2022 Bronco and 2018 JLU Sahara
under what conditions does the hybrid battery charge. I feel like I should know this and I am sure there is a thread, but I searched and did not see anything.

As far as I can tell from watching the visual display, the hybrid battery charges in 4 different scenarios.

1. When the vehicle is coasting with no foot pressure on the gas pedal.

2. When braking.

3. When stopped, with the engine off and accessory power on and the computer determines that the battery needs additional charging. In this case, the engine starts.

4. When driving and the computer decides that the battery needs additional charging.

Corrections/additions anyone?

As far as I can tell from watching the visual display, the hybrid battery charges in 4 different scenarios.

2. When braking.

3. When stopped, with the engine off and accessory power on and the computer determines that the battery needs additional charging. In this case, the engine starts.

4. When driving and the computer decides that the battery needs additional charging.

My question would be, if downhill, and the battery is fully charged, does it "dump" the charging, and require more use of the brakes?

2. When braking.

Thanks

My question would be, if downhill, and the battery is fully charged, does it "dump" the charging, and require more use of the brakes?

The above is an uphill tow test and a downhill regenerative test.

I went 200 miles today in cruise control mostly and may batter charge is constantly between 3 and 4 bars which is 30-40% I believe. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Mine does the same always 3-4 bars. I was reading the manual and it states that the bar gauge (not the boost) is for the 12 volt battery though which wouldnโ€™t be the hybrid battery but rather the normal car battery. That doesnโ€™t seem correct to me.

Seems odd to me you cannot monitor the traction battery (hybrid)but can the 12V battery.
I agree so I looked it up. Traildust is correct.
IMG_0026.jpeg

Mine does the same always 3-4 bars. I was reading the manual and it states that the bar gauge (not the boost) is for the 12 volt battery though which wouldnโ€™t be the hybrid battery but rather the normal car battery. That doesnโ€™t seem correct to me.
Yeah. I read and re-read the OM several times last month and finally gave up trying to figure it out beyond the 4 charging options originally listed. I figured I would wit until some smarter than me can explain to me like a 5th grader could understand.

Yes, in 1st gen Prius, this would feel like you suddenly lost half of you breaking power. In more "modern" models, hybrid control system automaticity adjust the hydraulic breaks to compensate for the loss of regen baking power from the electric motor.

You can occasionally still feel the loss of regen breaking power from the electric motor, like if the traction control kicks' in for some reason, which causes hybrid controller to stop, and there is a brief moment that you can feel before the hydraulic breaks kick in.

The vast majority of light to moderate breaking is archived solely by the electric motors regen breaking. When we press the break, hybrid controller increases the current to the batter to achieve stronger regen breaking. Which is good for efficiency and also reduces break pad wear.

Why would the 12 v battery always stay at 3 to 4 bars? That seems low? Can the LC use the hybrid battery to start if needed? Like if you went out of town for 2 to 3 weeks and you had 3 bars... Would there be any risk you would not be able to start the LC when you returned?

Why would the 12 v battery always stay at 3 to 4 bars? That seems low? Can the LC use the hybrid battery to start if needed? Like if you went out of town for 2 to 3 weeks and you had 3 bars... Would there be any risk you would not be able to start the LC when you returned?
I believe it uses the hybrid battery and electric motor to crank the engine. There possibly is a backup starter that uses 12v.

The gauge is between 9v-20v so 3 or 4 bars is right in the normal 12v range.

It uses the hybrid system to normally start the car.
The 12v system runs all the assy's.
The 12v system has a separate starter as the backup.

I agree so I looked it up. Traildust is correct. View attachment 5073
I think the manual is wrong. I definitely saw battery on that gauge to get nearly full with the regular battery gauge staying at 12v.

Image below after I went down a moderately steep hill at low speed.

Attachments

• IMG_6044.jpeg
    IMG_6044.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_6043.jpeg
    IMG_6043.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 108
Ive gotten terrible gas mileage since the beginning. Im wondering if I have battery mode turned off. Or some other mode.
When im at a stop the LC never seems to turn off/go quiet like my other cars. the Tac still sits just above 1 at rest. all the time.
Any advice? Does your LC stop engine at a rest?

Ive gotten terrible gas mileage since the beginning. Im wondering if I have battery mode turned off. Or some other mode.
When im at a stop the LC never seems to turn off/go quiet like my other cars. the Tac still sits just above 1 at rest. all the time.
Do you have tow mode selected? What drive mode are you in? ECO, Normal, or Sport?

I found there was a large difference between the trip computer calculation and manual calculation for MPG, I would recommend to start with the latter for a true baseline, if you haven't done so already.

I have my drive set to ECO mode and A/C set to ECO - auto- sync-
Mine shuts off at stops but A/C still runs

Back