How does one load/access rooftop cargo?

Alpha Puppy

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jul 28, 2024
Media
Santa Clara, CA
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser First Edition
New to having a vehicle this tall... What is the best method to load/unload the roof rack?
Saw there are tire mounted steps and door mounted steps. Which is best? Door steps seem tempting as they look small and easily stowable but I'm concerned they might damage/dent the door frames. Any experience with those?
Finally, recommendations for specific products/brands would be very welcome. I see lots of similar no name brand looking products of doubtful quality which makes it hard to choose a durable SAFE option...
Thx in advance for the help.

Thereโ€™s a useful spot to step in the cabin under the rear seats by the door.

Thereโ€™s a useful spot to step in the cabin under the rear seats by the door.
IMG_8836.jpeg

Worst case for shorter people is an 8 foot telescoping ladder. Maybe with an improvised a pad to not mar the vehicle.

Also, see the threads on adding steps to your rock slider.

Receiver step isn't in a great location to get to a standard roof box.

You could buy a ladder like this

However, the downside is that it removes your access to the rear window popping open.

You could buy a ladder like this

However, the downside is that it removes your access to the rear window popping open.
Honest question - is a rear ladder actually useful? It just seems like a far worse spot to access the roof compared to the sides.

But I guess it just depends on what you plan to put up there.

That attached ladder is for climbing onto the roof. Or for the look.

I won't buy the attached ladder, but I will eventually want to be on the roof with a camera on a tripod.

I used one of those door latch steps on my last vehicle. They work amazingly well and I've never heard of anyone doing damage to their vehicles using them. Like you said, they fold up and stow very easily (lots of spots in the LC's cargo area for something so small) and you only see it when you need to use it.

Back