Hello! New LC moved from electric

How did you like the Rivian? They at least look like a ā€˜normalā€™ truck to me & not entirely unattractive unlike another. They seem to be the truck truck people like if theyā€™re going electric. I think the hybrid makes better sense nowadays with our grid & charging infrastructure the way it is. But then Iā€™m also nowhere near a Rivian dealer.

Before I got the LC, I was planning to get an R1S. Passed on my allocation to get the LC instead. I have experience with a Tesla in Boston in winter and that informed my decision as follows:

• great car if you have charger when you park at home and at your destination parking spot. Unfortunately while most can install charging at home, most destinations wonā€™t have charging in your final parking spot meaning you need to find a charger and wait in line and wait for it to charge. This takes 15 minutes to just get extra miles, but up to an hourā€¦even at a super chargerā€¦to ā€œfill upā€
  • In winterā€¦charging takes longer
  • No ICE heat to melt snow on the hood and headlights. Need to know ice and snow off manually.
  • Tesla and Rivian both control the in car multimedia experienceā€¦and it isnā€™t as good as CarPlay or Android Auto (in my opinion). Need to learn new software and canā€™t use Google Maps or Apple Maps. This drove me nuts. Neither will add CarPlay or Android Auto.
In shortā€¦for me, seemed like EVā€™s are great for around town where you always charge at home. Also great if you own a vacation home with charging in your parking spotā€¦commute from home to vacation and charge on both ends. Otherwise, Iā€™ll take my 350-400 mile range and fuel up quick and easy without waiting in lines to sit for an hour and chargeā€¦in winter.

I liked the Rivian. What drove me to get rid of it was several things:
1. The problem was the service. The service center was 3.5 hours away. They had mobile but was limited in what they do. I had Finished 7500 mile tire rotation multipoint with mobile service that was $200 (pricey for what was done). 15000 mile has to be done in Memphis main service center. Windshield replacement would also have to go there 4300$ if paying cash. Everything is overpriced. Itā€™s new I know and I have insurance but itā€™s higher than any vehicle Iā€™ve ever had. Auto repair would have to be done in another state at a Rivian certified repair. Long tow if you had a wreck.
2. I do a lot of traveling thus 7800 miles in 6 months. The charging infrastructure was poor and found myself waiting too long to charge when I travel with limited choices, crowded chargers.. Only one out of the 4 Tesla charger locations were I could use the adapter to charge. The other three I couldnā€™t use were 150kwh Tesla chargers not compatible with non Tesla vehicles.
3. I was early reservation holder from 2021. They basically forced us this year to buy or loose reservation. I felt that I was for lack of better word lied to about the ā€œrefreshā€ from my guide and others with the company prior to my purchase 6 months ago. Oh itā€™s just some minor changes in wiring, etc. this was a MAJOR change not a refresh. They redid everything with zonal architecture for wiring cpu, cameras resolution, etc. this left all gen1 vehicles with no upgrade path unlike Tesla. They always said in beginning that would not be the case. I basically got a vehicle that could do lane centering but nothing else only on certain roads at that. No auto lane changing. No way to go to self driving in future basically a 98k$ vehicle (R1T dual max battery adventure pack) that was end of life (EOL) in support. šŸ‚ šŸ’©
4. The R1T despite what they think doesnā€™t feel rugged to me. If you damage the side of bed itā€™s one piece that extend all the way to front of cab and is 40k$ to repair. Not a simple quarter panel. Easy to dent and feels flimsy in some area. Tesla is no better try moving the frunk lid, no substance.
5. Vampire drain. Most vehicles have 1% loss or less per day. Rivian says up to 10% is acceptable. I had 2-3%. No way that should be acceptable. Go faster than 70mph and it drains faster the faster you go. Native to all EVs.

Things I liked:
1. Power was incredible with 4 motor event the two motor. Nothing beats the torque. I miss this trying to get around people in traffic merging etc.
2. They Designed a sharp looking truck. More like a toy than a real work truck. I know it can haul and people used bed to haul thousands pounds but geez not like the big 4 trucks. I called it a sports truck more like old Chevy SSR.
3. Not having to mess with gas or oil changes or deal with petroleum smells.
4. OTA software updates. Add new things and improvements every other month. Added blind spot pop up window when trying turn.

The last straw for me was a flat. I called Rivian road side and was told they would send someone to change my full size spare for flat that knew what to do with vehicle. He had no clue and had to show him what to do. He was going to just jack it up like any vehicle but this is a no no on Rivian. Itā€™s like the teslas and requires a pointed puck to be used at certain points underneath the frame. Unfortunately He damaged the rim getting it placed. The following day I took the truck to 3 different tire places. The first one said couldnā€™t fix the tire or put it on the truck because it was an EV and his chain wouldnā€™t allow it. Same excuse at the next. The last place started giving me the cold shoulder but I finally convinced them to repair the loose tire. Told them they have done Mercedes with expensive rims and a tire is tire this would be the same. So after they removed nail and placed it in bed. I drove home and put it on the truck myself. Never again!

Battery tech is not there now. I recommend hybrid until they really improve the batteries. If you live near a Rivian service center and have support than it might be worthwhile to you. Just remember the depreciation for rivian is horrible. In the top 10 for EVs. I lost from MSRP 98k to offer on trade over 6 months: from 74k , to 68k to 63k to final trade of 58k (Tesla offered 43k šŸ¤£). This has been a costly lesson to get out of that EV. Iā€™m glad I had 23% discount and didnā€™t pay the full Msrp price that they always sell them for. Btw the Toyota service manager ended up buying the Rivian. He wonā€™t have to worry about tire changes or repairsā€¦

Frankly, No vehicle Iā€™ve ever owned lost >30% value until now. Itā€™s crap and no vehicle should ever depreciate like this in 6 months. Canā€™t comment about Tesla retaining value. Maybe EVs in general this is the norm. Iā€™m sure hummer and GMC EVs fall like a rock too. My opinion is that EVs are extremely overpriced and obviously do not hold their value.

As far as the LC, Iā€™ve been overjoyed. Itā€™s tough, feels solid in driving has lane centering and auto changing better than the Rivian. Wonder if it has OTA updates to upgrade features like Rivian. Still learning it. Getting my first mod adding body side molding tomorrow.

1. The problem was the service. The service center was 3.5 hours away. They had mobile but was limited in what they do. I had Finished 7500 mile tire rotation multipoint with mobile service that was $200 (pricey for what was done). 15000 mile has to be done in Memphis main service center. Windshield replacement would also have to go there 4300$ if paying cash. Everything is overpriced. Itā€™s new I know and I have insurance but itā€™s higher than any vehicle Iā€™ve ever had. Auto repair would have to be done in another state at a Rivian certified repair. Long tow if you had a wreck.
2. I do a lot of traveling thus 7800 miles in 6 months. The charging infrastructure was poor and found myself waiting too long to charge when I travel with limited choices, crowded chargers.. Only one out of the 4 Tesla charger locations were I could use the adapter to charge. The other three I couldnā€™t use were 150kwh Tesla chargers not compatible with non Tesla vehicles.
3. I was early reservation holder from 2021. They basically forced us this year to buy or loose reservation. I felt that I was for lack of better word lied to about the ā€œrefreshā€ from my guide and others with the company prior to my purchase 6 months ago. Oh itā€™s just some minor changes in wiring, etc. this was a MAJOR change not a refresh. They redid everything with zonal architecture for wiring cpu, cameras resolution, etc. this left all gen1 vehicles with no upgrade path unlike Tesla. They always said in beginning that would not be the case. I basically got a vehicle that could do lane centering but nothing else only on certain roads at that. No auto lane changing. No way to go to self driving in future basically a 98k$ vehicle (R1T dual max battery adventure pack) that was end of life (EOL) in support. šŸ‚ šŸ’©
4. The R1T despite what they think doesnā€™t feel rugged to me. If you damage the side of bed itā€™s one piece that extend all the way to front of cab and is 40k$ to repair. Not a simple quarter panel. Easy to dent and feels flimsy in some area. Tesla is no better try moving the frunk lid, no substance.
5. Vampire drain. Most vehicles have 1% loss or less per day. Rivian says up to 10% is acceptable. I had 2-3%. No way that should be acceptable. Go faster than 70mph and it drains faster the faster you go. Native to all EVs.

Things I liked:
1. Power was incredible with 4 motor event the two motor. Nothing beats the torque. I miss this trying to get around people in traffic merging etc.
2. They Designed a sharp looking truck. More like a toy than a real work truck. I know it can haul and people used bed to haul thousands pounds but geez not like the big 4 trucks. I called it a sports truck more like old Chevy SSR.
4. OTA software updates. Add new things and improvements every other month. Added blind spot pop up window when trying turn.

The last straw for me was a flat. I called Rivian road side and was told they would send someone to change my full size spare for flat that knew what to do with vehicle. He had no clue and had to show him what to do. He was going to just jack it up like any vehicle but this is a no no on Rivian. Itā€™s like the teslas and requires a pointed puck to be used at certain points underneath the frame. Unfortunately He damaged the rim getting it placed. The following day I took the truck to 3 different tire places. The first one said couldnā€™t fix the tire or put it on the truck because it was an EV and his chain wouldnā€™t allow it. Same excuse at the next. The last place started giving me the cold shoulder but I finally convinced them to repair the loose tire. Told them they have done Mercedes with expensive rims and a tire is tire this would be the same. So after they removed nail and placed it in bed. I drove home and put it on the truck myself. Never again!

Battery tech is not there now. I recommend hybrid until they really improve the batteries. If you live near a Rivian service center and have support than it might be worthwhile to you. Just remember the depreciation for rivian is horrible. In the top 10 for EVs. I lost from MSRP 98k to offer on trade over 6 months: from 74k , to 68k to 63k to final trade of 58k (Tesla offered 43k šŸ¤£). This has been a costly lesson to get out of that EV. Iā€™m glad I had 23% discount and didnā€™t pay the full Msrp price that they always sell them for. Btw the Toyota service manager ended up buying the Rivian. He wonā€™t have to worry about tire changes or repairsā€¦

Frankly, No vehicle Iā€™ve ever owned lost >30% value until now. Itā€™s crap and no vehicle should ever depreciate like this in 6 months. Canā€™t comment about Tesla retaining value. Maybe EVs in general this is the norm. Iā€™m sure hummer and GMC EVs fall like a rock too. My opinion is that EVs are extremely overpriced and obviously do not hold their value.

As far as the LC, Iā€™ve been overjoyed. Itā€™s tough, feels solid in driving has lane centering and auto changing better than the Rivian. Wonder if it has OTA updates to upgrade features like Rivian. Still learning it. Getting my first mod adding body side molding tomorrow.
I donā€™t think that Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 has auto lane changing. At least I havenā€™t read anything on it and my LC has never changed lanes for me!

Things I liked:

The depreciation sounds horrible. Sorry for that. But I think youā€™re still lucky because as soon as there is an even slightly improved battery technology (silicone anodes might be coming soon) the value of EVs and PHEVs will drop like a stone. Some battery improvements are expected in the next two to three years. So leasing for three years would be better than buying right now if you want to avoid depreciation. For hybrids like the LC this wonā€™t matter too much.

I donā€™t think that Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 has auto lane changing. At least I havenā€™t read anything on it and my LC has never changed lanes for me!
Maybe FE and LC LC premium package. I definitely use it on my FE

Attachments

• 1725463869369.png
    1725463869369.png
    381.2 KB · Views: 30

Things I liked:

That depreciation is a tough pill to swallow. Still, I think the Rivian SUV is the best looking EV out there (and that hatchback they announced looks awesome!). Maybe in a few years all the hassles you laid out will be fixed (and prices will come down).

@kc135fs Thanks for the detailed write-up on your Rivian experience. I was shopping for used ones, but concern about service pushed me back to ICE. $4,300 for a windshield is crazy.

Things I liked:

How much was your insurance. For me the issue was expensive the insurance was.

Very few independent shops are willing to work on electric cars due to the difficulty of ordering parts for them (and lack of aftermarket parts), so you need to use authorized body shops that often have 1-2 month wait times even for simple stuff. If the battery pack is damaged, they are almost always totaled since no one want to be liable for future issues resulting from the battery. These greatly increase insurance cost.

Final drop was the electric vehicle surcharge on registration. I understand paying more during registration since I do not pay gas tax that is used for roads. But the surcharge is equivalent to driving 15-20k miles a year, and is clearly a cash grab.

Things I liked:

This is a great write-up. Thank you.

I also looked at Rivian last year. Having owned multiple EV's over the last 8 years, I can say the charging infrastructure is not there yet. They are great as DD's around town and you have a 240 garage charger. Trying to find a 110v outet, let alone a DC fast charger at some of the places I plan on taking the LC? Forget about it. The Rivian fan club head's will explode if you tell them this, but it's the truth. I know there are, god knows, how many YouTube/Tik-Tok/Etc. videos of Rivians having 'off-road' adventures, but these for the most part are carefully planned out trips. I just want to throw the fishing gear in and go. My guess is 90% of the Rivians around my hood will never see dirt.

How much was your insurance. For me the issue was expensive the insurance was.

Very few independent shops are willing to work on electric cars due to the difficulty of ordering parts for them (and lack of aftermarket parts), so you need to use authorized body shops that often have 1-2 month wait times even for simple stuff. If the battery pack is damaged, they are almost always totaled since no one want to be liable for future issues resulting from the battery. These greatly increase insurance cost.

Final drop was the electric vehicle surcharge on registration. I understand paying more during registration since I do not pay gas tax that is used for roads. But the surcharge is equivalent to driving 15-20k miles a year, and is clearly a cash grab.
Insurance dropped 200$ month with the LC with USAA. Rivian certified collision centers are the only ones approved to do repairs. Some stories Iā€™ve read on the forums have people waiting months to repair. Most vehicles they post that have crashed donā€™t look totaled in the ice sense. Thatā€™s why most get replacements .
Rivian insurance is suppose to speed up the repair process and getting into a new Rivian quicker than other insurance (moves you to head line). The surcharge for registration my state every year is around $150.
Yes the state thinks if you can pay the cost of the EV then they can charge you $$$ for a special tax to drive them. I see that going up every year.

The real unnerving thing was the remove ownership process. Once everything is erased Rivian knows immediately that you are no longer the owner. Canā€™t drive vehicle without redoing/ creating email account getting permission from Rivian.
Privacy in selling a car is going away. Itā€™s your vehicle but technically you canā€™t do anything without going through Rivian. Wonder if Tesla is the same?

Attachments

• IMG_0717.png
    IMG_0717.png
    276.1 KB · Views: 13
Congrats, we still have our EV mainly because the resell value is so horrible. Bought for 75K in 2021 and now it's worth under 25. I'll run that thing until it dies I guess.

Back