Hearing a rattle noise at low gear acceleration.

May be the same noise present in the Sequoia/Tundra hybrids. We hear it from our Sequoia. Have you been through any kind of drive through and noticed it more? (Where sound would bounce off the wall or car next to you).

For what it’s worth, I read in one of the Sequoia Facebook groups that someone said their Toyota tech told them it was the Hybrid coupler unit and that’s just the noise it makes.

The rattling was mentioned on at least two of the YouTube videos that I have seen. One of the YouTubers gave a reason for it.. but that was a while back and I don’t remember what he said.

Last edited:
I have the 2.8L diesel in South Africa and found as soon as you approach a stop sign or red traffic light and brake quite hard to stop, the engine revs drop quite low and for a second it feels the engine may die. A friend has noticed the same with their Prado. . This is my first diesel - is this normal

The rattling was mentioned on at least two of the YouTube videos that I have seen. One of the YouTubers gave a reason for it.. but that was a while back and I don’t remember what he said.
IIRC it has something to do with the fuel delivery system, but don’t quote me on that.

I can 4th or 5th the confirmation it's "normal". Had a 23' TRD Pro Tundra (similar hybrid system) for the last year and it definitely did not make the noise. It's not the spare tire chain. Sounds more pronounced on cold start to me. Seems to vary with revs like it was direct injection or valvetrain related noise. Gives it a diesel-like clatter I have heard in many reviews at slow speed.

Is anyone hearing a rattle noise at low gear acceleration?? It disappears going into 2nd gear or +25mph.
The rattling noise you're hearing during low gear acceleration that disappears at higher speeds or when shifting into second gear could be due to a loose heat shield or exhaust component.

Has anyone found a definitive answer about source of the rattle sound? This is a pretty expensive car from a normally reputable manufacturer. I don’t like a rattle in a brand new vehicle and I’d love to learn the reason.

The rattling noise you're hearing during low gear acceleration that disappears at higher speeds or when shifting into second gear could be due to a loose heat shield or exhaust component.
I have loose heat shield on my 2020 4Runner ORP that the dealer conveniently cannot replicate. I hear at idle in my garage after a 60 mile trip.

Could it not be the direct injection phase of the D4S system coming on and off?

Edit: I was also thinking that it could be the noise reported at cold startup in other threads. Some reports of every single Land Cruiser on a dealer lot making that noise and making it past QC at the factory (which must be more stringent with the first few thousand units produced)...

Last edited:
Back