Gross vehicle weight/tow capacities of the three LC trim levels

ultane

đź“› Founding Member
Jun 29, 2024
Media
SE USA
Vehicles
First Edition
For the last four years I have been searching for suitable truck, to use a a tow vehicle to pull a camper of some sort, either a slide in, of smaller pull behind. What became obvious after watching 50 eleven YouTube videos, was that the more options that we order for our (1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and one ton) chassis, the less payload we can carry and/or pull. I also experienced this when I bought a 2015 FORD Transit. The more options, the less payload capacity was listed on the driver door B-Pillar.

Has anyone looked at the available tow capacity, or cargo carrying capacity, of each trim level of our venerable chariots, by comparing the factory vehicle weight tags on the driver door B pillar on the 1958, LC w/premium package, or LC FE??

Sorry if this has already been asked, and answered.

Last edited:
For all trimis Toyota says 6000 lbs towing and min Curb Weight 5037.5 lbs vs 6725 lbs GVWR.

The top trims are heavier thus payload will decrease, but I do not understand the 1100 lbs payload sticker posted by an owner from Canada.

For all trimis Toyota says 6000 lbs towing and min Curb Weight 5037.5 lbs vs 6725 lbs GVWR.

The top trims are heavier thus payload will decrease, but I do not understand the 1100 lbs payload sticker posted by an owner from Canada.
US spec payload is 1000-1100lbs on all trims as well due to the hybrid battery. Toyotas curb weight on their website is incorrect.

"That said, more gears might help the Land Cruiser make more of its 326 horsepower and overcome its prodigious mass. At 5,642 pounds, this First Edition is even heavier than both Lexus GX550 models we’ve tested despite lacking their more luxurious trimmings, air suspension, twin-turbo V-6 engine, and other widgets. We suspect the hybrid bits—the 48-hp electric motor, the battery to power it—along with the First Edition’s big roof rack are behind the beer gut because the Toyota should otherwise weigh less."

US spec payload is 1000-1100lbs on all trims as well due to the hybrid battery. Toyotas curb weight on their website is incorrect.
Where from did Motortrend get those 5642 pounds ? They confirm what you say. Did they measure the weight ?

"That said, more gears might help the Land Cruiser make more of its 326 horsepower and overcome its prodigious mass. At 5,642 pounds, this First Edition is even heavier than both Lexus GX550 models we’ve tested despite lacking their more luxurious trimmings, air suspension, twin-turbo V-6 engine, and other widgets. We suspect the hybrid bits—the 48-hp electric motor, the battery to power it—along with the First Edition’s big roof rack are behind the beer gut because the Toyota should otherwise weigh less."

Where from did Motortrend get those 5642 pounds ? They confirm what you say. Did they measure the weight ?
Presumably. Someone weighed a FE on ih8mud a while back and verified that the toyota site is wrong as well.

Presumably. Someone weighed a FE on ih8mud a while back and verified that the toyota site is wrong as well.
Guess I will be driving my LC FE over some scales..

In Canada they show a different curb weight 5357 pounds for the 1958, 5423 pounds for the Landcruiser..... but still a payload much higher than those 1100.

Back