Gas Hood lift supports

I have reached out to "Redline tuning" and they put it on their to do list. I have Redline's on my Taco and have been very happy with them.

I see where the hood has holes where I suspect hood supports were supposed to be mounted. I think I saw where the GX has hood struts, but can only find the gas struts but no mounting kit. I don't have access to the Lexus support system.
I too had the Redlines on my Tacoma. They worked great.

I'll let you guys know how they work. If I have to remove and KEEP the plastic rim off the side of the engine bay area (as it shows in an install of a competitive strut on Amazon) I'll probably return them. However, at least we'll have a point of reference that others can use to make a decision.

I'm not looking for something that is going to magically raise the hood as soon as I release the latch, I just want to avoid having to use the manual hood support. I got really spoiled with my LX570. :)
They finally arrive and I finally got a chance to install them:

1730004025553.png

All in all, I'd rate them as "OK", 3 out of 5 stars.

Pros:
  • They do help lift the hood
  • They do hold the hood up when it is fully opened
  • Easy to install
  • You CAN put the plastic trim back in place without trimming
Cons:
  • They do not lift the hood unassisted
  • The hardware is not stainless and will begin to rust relatively soon I believe
  • I wouldn't trust it 100% to not fail and crack my skull
They do work to allow you to lift the hood with one hand and stay in place which is convenient if you happen to have tools in the other hand. I'd be ok leaving it open without the hood stand for quick things but if I were going to be under the hood for extended periods, I'd put the stand up as well. When I have some time, I'll swap out the bolts and washers that came with them for some stainless hardware. I might trim the plastic just a bit to sit a little more flush but it's workable out of the box.

They finally arrive and I finally got a chance to install them:

View attachment 16015

All in all, I'd rate them as "OK", 3 out of 5 stars.

Pros:
  • They do help lift the hood
  • They do hold the hood up when it is fully opened
  • Easy to install
  • You CAN put the plastic trim back in place without trimming
Cons:
  • They do not lift the hood unassisted
  • The hardware is not stainless and will begin to rust relatively soon I believe
  • I wouldn't trust it 100% to not fail and crack my skull
They do work to allow you to lift the hood with one hand and stay in place which is convenient if you happen to have tools in the other hand. I'd be ok leaving it open without the hood stand for quick things but if I were going to be under the hood for extended periods, I'd put the stand up as well. When I have some time, I'll swap out the bolts and washers that came with them for some stainless hardware. I might trim the plastic just a bit to sit a little more flush but it's workable out of the box.
X2 on the trimming of the trim.

I think my summary from this early feedback is to wait? Or did anybody feel like yeah "full steam ahead" ?
It's not a lift assisted feeling as with the Redline kit on my Taco. It's of a "not as heavy" lift, if you let go before the hood is fully raised, it'll slam back down, but after it reaches "full open" it'll stay open and takes a slight amount of force to start it closing. Once you start the downward motion, you have to lower the hood vs pull it down. The good part is there probably zero stress on the fender mounted stud ball.

Back