Front License Plate Bracket Install --

Esquire

📛 Founding Member
Apr 27, 2024
Media
Omaha, NE
Vehicles
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Premium - Black / Black; 2016 Porsche 911 - 991.1 Carrera Base - Black / Black; 2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited - Black / Redwood
Has anyone installed their front license plate bracket themselves?

It doesn't appear Toyota put any centering marks on the front bumper for the bracket, so I am inquiring as to anyone's centering guides/techniques.

I've seen those. How do they look in the flesh? Are they factory looking?
I've had the sly bracket on my Polestar which came without a plate holder installed up front. Well made in and of itself and looks professional but you need to be careful because if you bump someone from behind, pull up to close to a wall or somebody backs into you in a parking lot, even slowly, the force will be transferred to whatever the bracket is attached to and could crack the grill which is made of harder plastic than the bumper which is designed to have a bit of flex.

I installed mine myself. I admit was a little disturbed about drilling holes in my fender, but its very easy and living here in VA the front plate is needed, so had to get over it. As for centering, that was easy as well.
Just go for it.

I've had the sly bracket on my Polestar which came without a plate holder installed up front. Well made in and of itself and looks professional but you need to be careful because if you bump someone from behind, pull up to close to a wall or somebody backs into you in a parking lot, even slowly, the force will be transferred to whatever the bracket is attached to and could crack the grill which is made of harder plastic than the bumper which is designed to have a bit of flex.
It sounds like a great setup--especially when the front bumper really isn't designed for a front plate. At least on the LC, there is a flat space that is designed for the plate. I appreciate your response and input....

I installed mine myself. I admit was a little disturbed about drilling holes in my fender, but its very easy and living here in VA the front plate is needed, so had to get over it. As for centering, that was easy as well.
Just go for it.
Yes, we require it as well. I purchased mine in Illinois and they don't require front plates.

Ha. I know it. Drilling into the front of a brand new LC is a little spooky. Perhaps a Manhattan neat beforehand would calm the nerves before taking the drill to it.

Yes, we require it as well. I purchased mine in Illinois and they don't require front plates.

Ha. I know it. Drilling into the front of a brand new LC is a little spooky. Perhaps a Manhattan neat beforehand would calm the nerves before taking the drill to it.
Ha. Calm the anxiety but guaranteed to be off-center😂.
By the way I used a very small drill bit to start the hole once you have it centered. Then the screws do the rest.

Ha. Calm the anxiety but guaranteed to be off-center😂.
By the way I used a very small drill bit to start the hole once you have it centered. Then the screws do the rest.
Yeah. Better do the install first. :p Yes. Good idea on the pilot hole.

I'm in CA which also requires it. However, somewhat unreasonably, I just couldn't get over my aversion to drilling into the bumper, so instead I turned it into an arts and crafts project by modifying the OEM mounting bracket by pouring a layer of epoxy into it in order to create a flat mounting surface and then used some 3M VHB tape to glue it into the bumper. Worked great! So, now I'm legal and the next owner from a place that doesn't require it can take it off and still have an intact bumper. Frankly, not sure if it was worth the effort, but for some unexplainable reason, it made me feel great to have done it this way.

Food for thought:

I've used these on two cars and never got pulled over or got a ticket. No holes, and removable. May or may not be legal in your state. Unless you really look, hard to tell its not a real plate.

Yes, I installed mine myself. There are two dimple marks on the front bumper.
Are there dimples? I have looked and I cannot see any marks at all.

They are subtle but are there. Look off angle for them. Probably not easy to see if in direct noon sunlight...
Excellent. I'll take a look in the garage. That will make it easier yet.

I live in CA and as others have mentioned front plate is required. The dealer provided me w a front plate bracket (see below). But I also couldn’t get myself to drill holes into the bumper. So I decided to stick a 1 inch foam adhesive to back of the bracket to make it flush and used zip ties to attach it to the bottom grill (see photos). In another post I saw someone mention to put it in the passenger side something about engine temp (see link. Front License Plate. ) As u can see from the photo the LC FE has a front camera and the bracket does not obstruct the view. This is completely removable without permanent damage to the bumper. Unfortunately I added a bar light to the bottom grill and had to remove the plate. I’m trying to figure out another way to get the bracket on the front grill.

Attachments

• IMG_6691.jpeg
    IMG_6691.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6693.jpeg
    IMG_6693.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6406.jpeg
    IMG_6406.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6552.jpeg
    IMG_6552.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Simple double side tape
Is this removable and will it cause damage to the grill if I want to take it off? Is there any concern for it to fall off? My experience w double sided tape is it has a tendency to not stay attached.
Do you recommend a particular brand of double sided tape?

Won’t do it. We bought a neoprene plate holder (it’s similar to what I had on my dog tags in Navy) and placed it on the dash. This is what we’re doing for now only because my wife insisted.

Eventually it’s probably going in the glovebox or under the passenger seat because… while required in CA, the cops in my area are barely concerned with all the red light runners. Can’t imagine they give a damn about a missing front plate.

Back