First Impressions/Road Trip

First impressions after four days and 200 miles in my 1958 trim, Ice Cap.
  • Quiet ride, definitely quieter than my FJ Cruiser and 2019 Mini Countryman. You can hear the electric whine on occasion which I am used to (wife has a Highlander Hybrid). Most of the audible wind noise comes from the big boxy side mirrors.
  • Size- although roughly the same size as the Highlander, the interior feels a little tighter and yet it feels bigger on the road, as to be expected from a body on frame vehicle. My garage ceiling is around 80 inches and when I open the trunk it rests upon the ceiling. If my ceiling was 82 inches I think I would be in the clear. I think going forward I will probably just open the rear window if I need to load something in the garage.
  • I was expecting the 6-speaker stereo to sound terrible, but it's passable for non-audiophiles. As I listen to podcasts half the time, I won't be upgrading. Better than the FJ stereo (low bar).
  • Interior - overall I love it. The seats are comfortable (I'm 6'1''), I don't mind the hard plastics everywhere as they will be easy to clean, and it is just well built and simple. A couple nitpicks - the volume knob is tiny, made for a kid's hands, the infotainment screen is too small (more on that below), and while I don't mind the hard plastics, a little padding on the armrest on the door would have been welcome.
  • No mats of any kind included, but there are the knobs on the floor for where the mats would lock in.
  • Top three things I miss that are on the LC trim: 1) the bigger touchscreen, Toyota really went cheap giving us an 8-inch screen on a $58k car in 2024. It would have cost them maybe $200 more for a bigger screen, 2) the thigh extender for the driver's seat, I have long legs and this would have made the seat even more comfortable, and 3) Heritage Blue, love this color. The 1958 trim needs some more exciting colors.
  • Notwithstanding minor complaints about the color selection, IMO the exterior styling looks great. Ice Cap with all the black exterior bits is a solid combo. It would look even better with some tint and black steel wheels (which my FJ came with).
  • Overall I am very happy with the LC so far and can't wait to drive it tomorrow and every day after that.

I had issues downloading my digital key... It needed something to be reset at Toyota to work. I took notes:

• 1-800-331-4331 (say 'Brand Engagement')
  • It will ask you a bunch of other questions and eventually you should end up with either Connected Services or Brand Engagement
  • Connected Services had me try a bunch of things that didn't work. Eventually they created a case with Brand Engagement
  • In a day or so, Brand Engagement reset something in the database
  • After that, I needed to completely delete the Toyota App
  • Reboot my phone
  • Re-install the Toyota App
  • Re-download my digital key
After that everything worked and I was able to share the key with my family members. However, they also needed to delete their Toyota Apps, reboot and re-install.
I called and the problem for me was fixed by logging out of acct. and login with my cell phone number , you have to login with phone number once and email once to activate all of the features . Once i did that it all seems to have downloaded and paired with vehicle fine.
thanks for you help with contact number for Toyota Brand Engagement.

I have seen a LandCruiser logo on key fobs in videos, but the key for my 1958 has no logo. Wondering if this is just a 1958 thing.

Attachments

• 1717688657008.jpeg
    1717688657008.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 66
I have seen a LandCruiser logo on key fobs in videos, but the key for my 1958 has no logo. Wondering if this is just a 1958 thing.
In a review video I heard someone mention the FE comes with badging on the fob that others don’t, but haven’t confirmed.

This is mine FE key

Attachments

• IMG_5448.jpeg
    IMG_5448.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5447.jpeg
    IMG_5447.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5446.jpeg
    IMG_5446.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 56
Any new owners coming from a full-size pick up truck have any thoughts or regrets? etc. I have a 2021 F150 right now and I am wondering if I will like the Land Cruiser as much as I like my truck.

Any new owners coming from a full-size pick up truck have any thoughts or regrets? etc. I have a 2021 F150 right now and I am wondering if I will like the Land Cruiser as much as I like my truck.
I had a Z-71 1500 that I’d driven for the last 8 years. There are a few things I kind of miss about the V8 sound, but mostly I much prefer being able to park easily, having a smooth transmission, better brake control, more zip and a more comfortable cab. Oddly think I may park worse now because I am not used to how much smaller it is yet.

Yes miss bigger inside ,but like the maneuvering of LC better and fuel mileage. I am not sure it is big enough to haul family’s stuff for trips compared to tundra

Both set came with leather cover from factory I assume

So for those of you who are lucky to have one right now- is the drivers seat area fairly tight? Like if you are tall does the seat go back pretty far to accommodate? Is it fairly tight in width also ? Trying to figure out how “comfortable “ this would be for a 12 plus hour drive - also has anyone stated when the wind noise really starts becoming noticeable (MPH)?
I was going to purchase a FJ back in the day but did not specifically because of the tight cab space. The LC is the complete opposite. I am 6'3, 240lb, broad shoulder build, and my LC/FE is very comfortable, very roomy, and a joy to drive on and off road. More so than my 4Runner that I bought instead of the FJ. No wind noise that would cause me to notice let alone complain about.

I wouldn't call it a complaint or even a concern (well.. a little) is having 4 cylinder and its sound. Not the power which is great; just the fact that it is a little 4 cylnder engine and that you can hear that it is.

I went to check out a black 1958 for the first time in person at a local dealer. Aside from the sales person taking forever to find the key and unable to so I couldn't look at the interior, I got a good look at the exterior features. Anyone concerned with the mass amount of plastic on the outside?

I went to check out a black 1958 for the first time in person at a local dealer. Aside from the sales person taking forever to find the key and unable to so I couldn't look at the interior, I got a good look at the exterior features. Anyone concerned with the mass amount of plastic on the outside?
That huge piece on the rear corners will be a bitch to keep black.

Back