First Impressions/Road Trip

I’m sorry if someone’s already asked this, but at what speed do you find the wind noise to be the worst or when it really starts becoming noticeable?

I posted the following in another thread. The forum moderator suggested that I post it here for others to see and perhaps respond to. I first thought this was engine or stability system software related, but ………….

The more I drive the LC, the more I think the hesitation/bumpiness that I am feeling is tire related. It feels like a jiggle of the driver's seat. IIRC, this is the feeling you get when the rear wheels are out of alignment. As I'm sure a brand new vehicle's wheels are not out of alignment, I looked further into the tires.

The sticker on the door jamb call for tire inflation to be 36 psi. The actual tire pressure was 40 psi when the vehicle was delivered by the dealer. I reduced the pressure of all tires to 37 and notice an improved ride. There is more dampening of road cracks and holes than when the inflation was 40. The hesitation/jiggling (even on smooth roads) is reduced but not completely gone. I will try a bit more pressure reduction.

Thoughts anyone?
Cold tire pressures are indeed 33 psi/33 psi (front/rear). Adjust the pressures to 33 psi (when the vehicle is cold) and the ride quality will no doubt improve. FYI, the part-load tire pressures on the old (non-USA) Land Cruiser Prado (150 Series) are 29 psi/29 psi (for 17" and 18" wheels/tires). Full-load tire pressures are 29 psi/32 psi 150 Series). I know it's not apples-to-apples but 33 psi/33 psi for the new Land Cruiser are surely the "full-load pressures". So, no reason to run more than 33 psi.

PS: Everyone should be checking/setting their own tire pressures and resetting the trip computer before commenting on fuel economy or ride quality. Don't trust your dealer on tire pressures. And remember the amount of idling during transport/at the port/at the dealer (killing fuel economy...all reflected via the trip computer). I take any and all comments about the trip computer mpg display from new buyers with skepticism.

Last edited:
Cold tire pressures are indeed 33 psi/33 psi (front/rear). Adjust the pressures to 33 psi (when the vehicle is cold) and the ride quality will no doubt improve. FYI, the part-load tire pressures on the old (non-USA) Land Cruiser Prado (150 Series) are 29 psi/29 psi (for 17" and 18" wheels/tires). Full-load tire pressures are 29 psi/32 psi 150 Series). I know it's not apples-to-apples but 33 psi/33 psi for the new Land Cruiser are surely the "full-load pressures". So, no reason to run more than 33 psi.

PS: Everyone should be checking/setting their own tire pressures and resetting the trip computer before commenting on fuel economy or ride quality. Don't trust your dealer on tire pressures. And remember the amount of idling during transport/at the port/at the dealer (killing fuel economy...all reflected via the trip computer). I take any and all comments about the trip computer mpg display from new buyers with skepticism.
I still like simply dividing the trip miles by the number of gallons used on a fill-up.

Thank you. You solved yesterday’s greatest mystery.
I was thinking to myself “Am I really going to take it to the dealership to tell them the AC off button it’s broken!”

After picking up my Heritage Blue Land Cruiser last Wednesday, we’ve really been enjoying! It’s very smooth at shifting between gears and really packs a punch with minimal turbo delay. 85% of the first 1000 miles were all on the highway averaging 80mph.

For the positives:
  • The adaptive cruise worked very well pretty much the whole way and even in areas where the lines were almost nonexistent, way better than my 22 Tundra for sure.
  • Wind noise was barley noticeable since we had the JBL speakers bumping, regardless I feel like any car going more than 45mph will have wind noise especially with square mirrors and a roof rack.
  • MPG is only getting better. Started averaging only 15 or so and after 500 miles it’s now averaging 18.5mpg. I’m assuming it’ll keep going up.
For the negatives:
  • I understand the need for all these safety systems Toyota has come up with and some of them I don’t mind keeping them on, but, it should be much easier to be able to turn them all off if I feel like it. The driver inattention feature is probably the most stupidest thing ever in my opinion. You couldn’t look away for more than 2 seconds without it blaring an alert. Anyways I found a way to turn it off. The only other one that I haven’t been able to figure out is the alert for when I want to merge into traffic and it beeps when I creep in from moving cars.
  • Idk if there’s a fix for the vibration in the mirrors and I might have to take it into the dealer. It’s not extreme, but, significant enough that it brought me back to high school when I installed after market tow mirrors on my tundra.
  • A/C won’t turn off if you have cool box on.

@kevinpalacio08 , thanks for the detailed observations!
Am curious if you think the electric A/C will stay on overnight if someone sleeps in it while overlanding?
Took me a day or two to figure that out.
Other than that really fun/cool car to drive.
Can’t wait to take it off road for the first time and really test drive it. Looking forward to hearing from everyone’s experience so far.

Last edited:
18.5 mpg avg. after 500 miles. Wowzers that’s low…

Did you reset when you took ownership?
I think it has been stated that vehicles run idling for long periods of time when they are checking them out and before people take ownership

The roof rack could cost you 1-3 mpg. Car and Driver did a test- they removed the cross bars from a Kia Carnival and found a 12% increase in mpg at highway speeds. Around town the mpg impact is probably negligible.

At 250 miles also averaging 18mpg. Highway I can average 23/24. In the city it’s probably closer to 17. Woof.

Does it have lane assist and all the other bings and bongs - if so how easy is it to disable the system if you want to switch it off ?

Does it have lane assist and all the other bings and bongs - if so how easy is it to disable the system if you want to switch it off ?
With my Lexus, it was easy to disable some of this stuff as it was done through the large multimedia display. On the Land Cruiser is a little more difficult as you have to do it with the steering wheel controls on the small center display. It is not that difficult, just not as easy on the Lexus I had

Back