First Edition Roof Rack Assembly and Install (2 parts)

DctrEvil

📛 Founding Member
Nov 21, 2023
Media
Little Rock, AR
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser LC Trim
Part 1

I thought there might some interest in seeing what the First Edition Roof rack looks like off the vehicle and the hardware used to install. Since I don't yet have the vehicle :confused:, I will first post the photos of the rack and parts along with a .pdf for the installation.

After being told by multiple dealership parts departments that they would only sell this $1100 rack (if they could even get one) to someone with a First Edition and needed a VIN to prove it, so I started the search. I was SO lucky to be connected to Westcott Designs by members of this forum, what a great company! They purchased three First Edition LC's and quickly took off the OEM roof racks to install the really cool racks of their own! I called them and secured one of their take-off racks (which are all sold now) for an amazingly fair price. Since they're in the business, they had their techs disassemble the rack for shipping and packed it like nothing I've ever seen! All the hardware shrink-wrapped and bolts/screws in sealed bags!
IMG_1751.jpeg

It was very self explanatory how to re-assemble (nothing in the install guide about assembly, because I don't think Toyota intends on you assembling on your own), but it was just some Torx head screws. The rack (and others I've seen in photos) comes with four cross slats, but an additional space and threaded holes for another slat or moving one of the four into that position. It seems that it should have come with one more! I've found a nearly identical looking one with identical dimensions on eBay from a Front Runner rack that I plan to trim to size, drill a couple holes and add to give me another slat. (link--> Front Runner slat).

Max weight for the rack is show as 165 lbs and I'm not sure if this is static or dynamic. The rack itself probably only weighs 30-40 lbs. And I'd say it feels a little flimsy by itself, but I know that mounting to the strong bolted roof points will add reinforcement and rigidity.

IMG_1763.jpeg

IMG_1765.jpeg

IMG_1766.jpeg

IMG_1768.jpeg

My LC/LC is coming with roof rails and cross bars, which I'll quickly remove and sell on this forum and install the mounting points (called stanchions) onto the roof and then lift the rack onto these to be secured with more Torx screws.

IMG_1769.jpeg
IMG_1771.jpeg

The bolts that mount the "stanchions" into the pre-drilled and threaded holes in the LC's roof are M8 45mm bolts with a small rubber grommet just under the hex-head flange to seal against weather.

IMG_1772.jpeg

I very much look forward to adding to this thread, "Part 2", when I remove the roof rails and cross bars and install this rack on my late July/early August promised Land Cruiser!

Attachments

• PT970-60241inst Roof Rack.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 220
Last edited:
I curious where you heard the dealer won’t sell them unless you have a first edition - they are a purchasable accessory. All the FEs already have them and wouldn’t need replacing outside of significant damage.

Hoping to buy one and do this too - mine is arriving this week or next week

I’ve been looking for this data for awhile so thank you

I curious where you heard the dealer won’t sell them unless you have a first edition - they are a purchasable accessory. All the FEs already have them and wouldn’t need replacing outside of significant damage.

Hoping to buy one and do this too - mine is arriving this week or next week

I’ve been looking for this data for awhile so thank you
Congrats on your pending delivery!!! I was just told by a couple of dealers that the FE roof rack was "vin-locked". I agree, though, why would you need to order one for your First Edition if it came with it!?

And if they push back, you could just find a FE Vin and use it for your order!

Part 1.5

Today I received the extra slat that I referred to above from Front Runner. I trimmed 4 1/2 inches off each side with my metal cutting blade on my reciprocating saw and then drilled tapered holed to match the extra holes in the rack. I used some slightly longer hex bolts than the originals, which were too short given the depth of the channel on the Front runner slat. A little flat black paint for touch up and I think it will work just fine until which time Toyota allows us all to order the elusive missing "5th slat" that should have come with our racks! I plan to mount my Front Runner Jerry can holder, my WaterPort Tank, awning and a cargo box and this 5th slat will really add a lot more potential since this rack is already a lot shorter than a full -length rack.

IMG_1797 (1).jpeg
IMG_1798 (1).jpeg
IMG_1799 (1).jpeg
IMG_1800 (1).jpeg
IMG_1801 (1).jpeg
IMG_1802 (1).jpeg
IMG_1803 (1).jpeg
IMG_1804 (1).jpeg
IMG_1805 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good! I have the same roof rack but am coming from the sport/tubular style on a 4th gen 4Runner. What are the best mounting options for the FE style roof rack? I have some kayak J-style mounts I'd like to be able to use but I'm not sure they'll work with these rectangular bars.

Part 1

I thought there might some interest in seeing what the First Edition Roof rack looks like off the vehicle and the hardware used to install. Since I don't yet have the vehicle :confused:, I will first post the photos of the rack and parts along with a .pdf for the installation.

After being told by multiple dealership parts departments that they would only sell this $1100 rack (if they could even get one) to someone with a First Edition and needed a VIN to prove it, so I started the search. I was SO lucky to be connected to Westcott Designs by members of this forum, what a great company! They purchased three First Edition LC's and quickly took off the OEM roof racks to install the really cool racks of their own! I called them and secured one of their take-off racks (which are all sold now) for an amazingly fair price. Since they're in the business, they had their techs disassemble the rack for shipping and packed it like nothing I've ever seen! All the hardware shrink-wrapped and bolts/screws in sealed bags!
View attachment 4208
It was very self explanatory how to re-assemble (nothing in the install guide about assembly, because I don't think Toyota intends on you assembling on your own), but it was just some Torx head screws. The rack (and others I've seen in photos) comes with four cross slats, but an additional space and threaded holes for another slat or moving one of the four into that position. It seems that it should have come with one more! I've found a nearly identical looking one with identical dimensions on eBay from a Front Runner rack that I plan to trim to size, drill a couple holes and add to give me another slat. (link--> Front Runner slat).

Max weight for the rack is show as 165 lbs and I'm not sure if this is static or dynamic. The rack itself probably only weighs 30-40 lbs. And I'd say it feels a little flimsy by itself, but I know that mounting to the strong bolted roof points will add reinforcement and rigidity.

View attachment 4209
View attachment 4210
View attachment 4212
View attachment 4213

My LC/LC is coming with roof rails and cross bars, which I'll quickly remove and sell on this forum and install the mounting points (called stanchions) onto the roof and then lift the rack onto these to be secured with more Torx screws.

View attachment 4215View attachment 4216

The bolts that mount the "stanchions" into the pre-drilled and threaded holes in the LC's roof are M8 45mm bolts with a small rubber grommet just under the hex-head flange to seal against weather.

View attachment 4217

I very much look forward to adding to this thread, "Part 2", when I remove the roof rails and cross bars and install this rack on my late July/early August promised Land Cruiser!
Hey Dr Evil Thanks for posting the information. Eagerly waiting for part 2. I have a GX Overtrail coming in about 3 weeks. I don’t like the Lexus roof rack that you can purchase and really like the FE Land Cruiser rack. I saw on another forum that someone put the FE OEM rack on his GX 550 and said all the holes for the mounts were the same. Also when you install the rack can you comment about the wind noise. A lot of 550 GX owners are taking their Lexus racks off because they say the wind noise is terrible!

Attachments

• IMG_4047.jpeg
    IMG_4047.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 312
Has the First Edition roof rack been identified as being made by any particular manufacturer? I'd like to try to contact the manufacturer to possibly obtain an additional crossbar.

Has the First Edition roof rack been identified as being made by any particular manufacturer? I'd like to try to contact the manufacturer to possibly obtain an additional crossbar.
The first link I sent requires a vin #. I guess Toyota wants to keep a tight grip on not making it available to all who want to buy it. I’m adding another link that I found the they “recommend “ a VIN # but don’t require it. I know it will absolutely work on the GX 550.

Attachments

• IMG_4096.png
    IMG_4096.png
    312.2 KB · Views: 242
The first link I sent requires a vin #. I guess Toyota wants to keep a tight grip on not making it available to all who want to buy it. I’m adding another link that I found the they “recommend “ a VIN # but don’t require it. I know it will absolutely work on the GX 550.
I tried to post a link but I somehow can’t do it so just use the web address in the photo above. Here’s a screenshot of a guy who put the rack on his gx

Attachments

• IMG_4080.png
    IMG_4080.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 262
Thanks @Dr Bob . But I was looking for a way to buy just one additional crossbar for the FE roof rack. Likely not available from Toyota so was hoping to learn who the rack manufacturer is.

Thanks @Dr Bob . But I was looking for a way to buy just one additional crossbar for the FE roof rack. Likely not available from Toyota so was hoping to learn who the rack manufacturer is.
Yes, I've tried to search and ask my parts dept about the extra crossbar, and no go. I heard somewhere that Prinsu may have been the manufacturer of the rack, but reached out to them and they said they were not.

Nice write up. I'll be adding this rack soon after I take delivery of my LC (provided there's no monkey business from the selling dealer).

You might want to try these guys. Look similar to the Toyota crossbar and I bet you could make it fit

@DctrEvil do you have more photos of how the rack was packaged by any chance? I’m going to ship mine to someone and I’d love to see how the pros did it!

Back