FE roof rack questions

Ayork

📛 Founding Member
May 23, 2024
Media
Denver
Looking at swapping out my cross bars for the FE rack.

I go skiing and boarding a lot in the winter, will my Yakima racks attach to this somehow? I’ve never had anything other than cross bars so I’m new to this. Also, how do I attach roof boxes, jacks, etc to this rack if I wanted to do so?

Thanks for your help.

Someone said that the FE rack was made by Yakima. I couldn't find anything to match it on their site. It appears to me to be built on a T rail system to accept a 5/16"carriage bolt. There are several limitations of the rack including the 165 lb weight limit. A Torx wrench allows you to to move the rails to a few pre-drilled spots that have built in nuts. Otherwise, you need to drill where you need the rail.

I just installed a Roam 95L Rugged Case with their Rugged mount this morning using 5/16" diameter x 3/4" long carriage bolts. I'm going to post pictures and details in the next day or two.

It is frustrating that Toyota gave us a system without the accessories that would make this easier. I'm sure the After Market stores will provide additional options soon.

IMG_7357.jpg

I go skiing and boarding a lot in the winter, will my Yakima racks attach to this somehow? I’ve never had anything other than cross bars so I’m new to this. Also, how do I attach roof boxes, jacks, etc to this rack if I wanted to do so?

Thanks for your help.
You should have no problem with the FE rack. It has (4) cross rails with T-slots. Your Yakima will probably attach with the cinch binding straps or the T-slot bolts that it comes with, whichever you prefer.

I have a Fatcat6 that I’ll be putting up on top this winter.

Attachments

• IMG_8432.jpeg
    IMG_8432.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7814.jpeg
    IMG_7814.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7813.jpeg
    IMG_7813.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7805.png
    IMG_7805.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7812.jpeg
    IMG_7812.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 55
You should have no problem with the FE rack. It has (4) cross rails with T-slots. Your Yakima will probably attach with the cinch binding straps or the T-slot bolts that it comes with, whichever you prefer.

I have a Fatcat6 that I’ll be putting up on top this winter.
Perfect thanks! That’s the same rack as me so glad to know it’ll work just fine.

Thanks for your help.
When I lived in SW Idaho, I bought a long (and kinda big) Yakima box from REI for my 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited. The Yakima box clamped on to the OEM Subaru cross bars (that came from the factory) via adjustable clamps that could be slid forward or backward to perfectly match the spacing of the Subaru racks, witch were NOT adjustable, in any direction. It could hold all the snow ski’s, snow boards, and various boots for all five of us to get to any of the slopes we skied.

In the warmer months, it easily held all the needed fishing poles when getting the boat and us to the lake to fish.

When I lived in SW Idaho, I bought a long (and kinda big) Yakima box from REI for my 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited. The Yakima box clamped on to the OEM Subaru cross bars (that came from the factory) via adjustable clamps that could be slid forward or backward to perfectly match the spacing of the Subaru racks, witch were NOT adjustable, in any direction. It could hold all the snow ski’s, snow boards, and various boots for all five of us to get to any of the slopes we skied.

In the warmer months, it easily held all the needed fishing poles when getting the boat and us to the lake to fish.
Have you figured out what kind of ski box can go on FE rack? I was in Rack Attack store and they mostly carry Thule which they said will not fit due to the shape of box which drops down at the front.

Back