FE Allocation IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

SunnyDez

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Apr 9, 2024
Colorado
Vehicles
2023 4Runner TRD Off Road; 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
...and I'm freaked out. Is this the right vehicle? I LOVE my 4Runner 5th Gen (EXCEPT for the lack of get up and go). Talk me down, guys.

OK, so hear me out. I'm just not sure if I want the FE or the LC model. The FE seems overpriced - is it worth it? Is the 4 banger engine too small? Will I like it more than my Runner?

OK, so hear me out. I'm just not sure if I want the FE or the LC model. The FE seems overpriced - is it worth it? Is the 4 banger engine too small?
It is a turbo 4-banger, coupled to an 8-Speed, and will impress, especially compared to your 4Runner. Yes, the convention is the FE is somewhat over-priced, but personally would still go for it. The rock-sliders certainly will not suffice for running boards, if needed, no foot room to speak of. Probably 5 more MPG over your 4runner, or a bit more.

OK, so hear me out. I'm just not sure if I want the FE or the LC model. The FE seems overpriced - is it worth it? Is the 4 banger engine too small?
I drove both the LC and the GX - I "felt" the LC was more responsive and didn't have that turbo lag like the GX on account of the hybrid assistance.

Price:
It's my opinion that the FE isn't worth the extra coin however that's just me.

Power:
I currently own a FJ Cruisier that does 0-60 in more seconds that I can pay attention to count. I also have an EV that does it in under 3.5 seconds. Between the two I prefer the FJ and comparing the LC to the EV it wasn't that bad ... and that's saying a lot.

I can't do running boards anyway - I actually wheel. Rock sliders for me, all the way. Plus, I am really liking some of the mods others are doing on the LC (not FE). And I'm not sure about the round lights, prefer the rectangle. Premium gas - WHY?!

...and I'm freaked out. Is this the right vehicle? I LOVE my 4Runner 5th Gen (EXCEPT for the lack of get up and go). Talk me down, guys.
Coming from a 2019 4Runner, it's a world of difference. I am in a FE, I know some folks complain about the price, and it's not worth it, you have the same complaints about the 4 Runner and the TRD Pro model, that apparently will never change. Trust me, it's worth it, ride quality, seat comfort, tech, I drive in eco mode and it still feels better than my 4Runner ever did. I look at it this way, FE has everything you'll want, and you can save some bucks for the first year or two before you'll need/want to upgrade.

I can't do running boards anyway - I actually wheel. Rock sliders for me, all the way. Plus, I am really liking some of the mods others are doing on the LC (not FE). And I'm not sure about the round lights, prefer the rectangle. Premium gas - WHY?!
My opinion, and of a Toyota insider, but some disagree, the suggested requirement for premium fuel is to achieve a MPG goal. Reports from owners are that the round headlights are marginal. No info on the rectangular, but hopefully better.

It is a turbo 4-banger, coupled to an 8-Speed, and will impress, especially compared to your 4Runner. Yes, the convention is the FE is somewhat over-priced, but personally would still go for it. The rock-sliders certainly will not suffice for running boards, if needed, no foot room to speak of. Probably 5 more MPG over your 4runner, or a bit more.
OMGSH, only 5 more MPG? That is DISMAL.

I'm holding out for LC with premium pkg because i dont want the FE roof rack, or rock rails and i dont think the price is worth it the few extras. My personal preference. I test drove a 1958 and I liked the engine. The 4cyl sound is lame but it drives nice.

I'm holding out for LC with premium pkg because i dont want the FE roof rack, or rock rails and i dont think the price is worth it the few extras. My personal preference. I test drove a 1958 and I liked the engine. The 4cyl sound is lame but it drives nice.
Ditto!

Yeah, so I'm pretty picky about my mods and the FE extras feel like they are boxing me in. I'm unexpectedly leaning towards a LC over FE as of right now.

if you don't care about the round or simply prefer the rectangles, the FE makes no sense.
Specially if you are a hands on kind of person, the difference between a LC premium to a FE are all easily bolt on. Plus you may get some aftermarket rock rails or rack, making the FE ever more questionable.

Same boat.

I'm lucky enough to find a salesman that help with an LC trim with Premium package, only $384 Distributor option - and he will take it down to $150, which make pretty much a bare bone LC with only $$ in color and premium package. I feel this is be best bang for bucks compared all trim levels and my needs.

Itโ€™s all about what you want. The package of the factory skid plate thatโ€™s real (on the FE), the rock sliders, 18โ€ wheels AND the round headlight are the real FE selling points. We all want what we want. If you get the LC and you wheel then youโ€™re going to have to make some mods. No wrong answer here.

I had the opportunity to get either the 5th gen 4R TRD Pro or LC FE. I wasn't impressed with the 4R's power and technology. The reliability of the 4R is its strong point. I was coming from a 23 Tundra that had power and technology that I was already used to, so the LC won out. It was also the trail dust color I was wanting so it was an easy decision for me.

I had the opportunity to get either the 5th gen 4R TRD Pro or LC FE. I wasn't impressed with the 4R's power and technology. The reliability of the 4R is its strong point. I was coming from a 23 Tundra that had power and technology that I was already used to, so the LC won out. It was also the trail dust color I was wanting so it was an easy decision for me.
What got you off such a new tundra? Just curious

I got a LC edition because I thought it hit the sweet spot on price and features. Just enough of the tech and nice interior. The FE was beautiful and if the extra money isn't a big deal then go for it. Personally I thought mid 60s was most palatable for what your getting. I don't like the round headlights either Fwiw.

I really liked the trucks power and technology but it was a combination of things all added up.
1. Had a couple of stalled instances, months apart that concerned me.
2. The recalls, but mainly the engine recall. After looking at all the data about the part number changes and current main bearings production being stopped I concluded (this is my conclusion by the way) this may be a design issue and my truck will eventually be affected. I didn't like the idea of it being torn down by someone other than myself.
3. I have a 2020 LC200. I traded in a 2017 Tundra for this one. Very happy with it. No recalls, no problems at 47K miles.
4. I feel the Inline engines are best suited for turbo use. This I4 has 5 main bearings, whereas the V6 has 4. The inline engine crankshafts/mains supposedly don't get as much strain because of the orientation of the cylinders being up/down verses those on an angle. They also offset the crankshaft off center from the cylinders and that is supposed to help. Again this is my deduction and someone else may have their own opinion.
5. I wanted to have one of the last and now one of the first LC's. I wanted to be able to drive both and see how the new one is built vs the older one. So far I'm seeing some features they cut out of this new one, such as the 200 can lock and unlock from all four doors. The new one only from the front doors.
6. I figured I can always get another Tundra once they get everything corrected. I may not be able to get a FE after this year. And if this new one does well I "may" trade in the 200 for a Tundra. It will have to earn my trust. first. The 200 has already done that.
7. I got top trade in on Tundra and no markups or add-ons for the LC, and better interest rate so it made it a better choice.
8. It was made in Japan and I can definitely feel the difference in how solid it feels over the Tundra. I felt the same way when I went from the 2017 Tundra to the 2020 LC. The 2020 LC with 47k miles felt better put together than the 2023 Tundra. Still feels like I drove it off the lot.
9. So I am taking my chances on the first year LC. Time will tell if it was a good move.

Back