Favorite car wax and black plastic protector?

deftkillerstu

📛 Founding Member
Jun 25, 2024
Charlotte, NC
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser First Edition in Heritage Blue
Will be giving my new LC it’s first wash and wax. What is everyone’s favorite wax? Also, what can I apply to the black plastic to prevent it from fading in the sun?

For the wax, it would help to know your goals and experience. Do you want a super deep, wet look? Protection against UV or acid? Long lasting? What's most important to you?

For the black plastic, I've only found one product that seems to work well enough, and that's Cerakote Trim Coat. It's a ceramic coating that you wipe on and let cure. Beware that the plastic will turn glossy, even more so than new.

I like Griots ceramic 3-1 wax spray for the paint and griots ceramic trim restore for the plastic, it gives the plastic a deep black with a satin look so it's not too glossy

I use this for black plastic protectant.

For the wax, it would help to know your goals and experience. Do you want a super deep, wet look? Protection against UV or acid? Long lasting? What's most important to you?

For the black plastic, I've only found one product that seems to work well enough, and that's Cerakote Trim Coat. It's a ceramic coating that you wipe on and let cure. Beware that the plastic will turn glossy, even more so than new.
Be careful on the Cerakote- it specifically says not for new cars (I saw this after I applied it- thankfully mine turned out great). There are pictures out there where the black had grey streaks in it. They say it could be due to the off gassing of the plastic. Again, I applied it then read where you should not (and had 2 sleepless nights wondering if I just messed up my new car) I have great results and water/bugs literally slide right off. Just want to give fair warning that the actual company says not for new trim.

From company description

RESTORES AND PROTECTS YOUR TRIM - This product is a restoration kit, NOT FOR NEW TRIM.

Thanks hypnotic. It's a tricky product to apply evenly, but the protection is amazing, and like you said, the water and contaminants slide off like a properly ceramic coated paint.

I think for the first year I'll just coat the plastics with the same Adam's Graphene I'll use on the paint. And then the second year I'll separately coat with Cerakote.

Back