Excellent video explaining the 4WD system in the Land Cruisers

Part-time 4wd systems bind in parking lots, not on highways. You absolutely can drive above 55 mph in 4Hi on a variable condition road including some dry sections in below freezing temps.

Part-time 4wd systems bind in parking lots, not on highways. You absolutely can drive above 55 mph in 4Hi on a variable condition road including some dry sections in below freezing temps.
According to Toyota, one is not supposed to exceed 55 MPH when a part-time 4WD vehicle is in 4WD. I would not be doing 55 MPH in a parking lot. :) I would agree, if all tires are worn equally, and have the same pressure, why the restriction?

I think we can all be grateful for the brilliant engineering behind the 4WD systems in these and other vehicles. Looking forward to testing out the new LC when it arrives. All the reports I’m reading and videos I’ve watched, these are very capable vehicles. Hopefully I’ll run into some of you in the future out on the trails and in the back country.

I think we can all be grateful for the brilliant engineering behind the 4WD systems in these and other vehicles. Looking forward to testing out the new LC when it arrives. All the reports I’m reading and videos I’ve watched, these are very capable vehicles. Hopefully I’ll run into some of you in the future out on the trails and in the back country.
I agree re the Toyota 4WD systems, especially those incorporating the center Torsen differential. Some of the competitive systems leave something to be desired. If I were a really serious off-roader, I think my choice in the Toyota world would be the LC sibling, the Lexus GX 550 Overtrail with the front & rear sway bar disconnect system. Unfortunately, neither the LC or GX offer a front locker.

It's my belief that ARB will offer an front air locker pretty quick. There's a company in NC that offers a complete 3rd member (front or rear) with the locker installed. They will ship it to your house and even offer return shipping for the core exchange (at least for the Tacoma).

According to Toyota, one is not supposed to exceed 55 MPH when a part-time 4WD vehicle is in 4WD. I would not be doing 55 MPH in a parking lot. :) I would agree, if all tires are worn equally, and have the same pressure, why the restriction?
According to the manual for my 2010 4Runner Trail Edition you should reduce speed below 100kmh (62 mph) before engaging 4H. There is no mention of a max speed for 4wd in the owners manual - I just checked the 4wd operation section.

It's my belief that ARB will offer an front air locker pretty quick. There's a company in NC that offers a complete 3rd member (front or rear) with the locker installed. They will ship it to your house and even offer return shipping for the core exchange (at least for the Tacoma).
Thanks EOD Guy. At age 82, am past the hard-core stuff of my younger years. The present Toyota system will be good enough for me. Initially will probably upgrade the tires, as I still search out abandoned mines, and driving over the scrap rock of which the access "roads" are typically made of, can be a risk. However, I would spring for a GX, but the dealer is across the state. Any warranty work or recalls would be a pain. Presently dealing with two recalls on our present 2021 Highlander, and have had one previously. Being the first year for the LC and GX, so wishful thinking there will be none. Have you noticed the over 100K Tundras being recalled for main bearing failures? Wow!

I saw a U-Tube vid on new Toyota models and what to expect...... it was very informative concerning the past engine and transmission problems and how Toyota addressed them. It didn't specifically id the tundra, but you could tell it was included in the Tacoma story line. That's the only reservation I had on the new LC, but I figured since the hybrid system was going to be used on several platforms, the issues would come to light very quickly and the solution would be just as fast. Hopefully we don't have to find out. I'm pretty sure that's what the QC hold is all about, better for Toyota to hold their vehicles, as no one owns them yet, and fix them vs ship them and do another recall.

I saw a U-Tube vid on new Toyota models and what to expect...... it was very informative concerning the past engine and transmission problems and how Toyota addressed them. It didn't specifically id the tundra, but you could tell it was included in the Tacoma story line. That's the only reservation I had on the new LC, but I figured since the hybrid system was going to be used on several platforms, the issues would come to light very quickly and the solution would be just as fast. Hopefully we don't have to find out. I'm pretty sure that's what the QC hold is all about, better for Toyota to hold their vehicles, as no one owns them yet, and fix them vs ship them and do another recall.
Was just reading wherein the LC hold appears to be regarding the VSC system. So possibly just a firmware flash? Well, once the fix is released...

I saw a post somewhere a new LC FE owner received his and the front lug nuts had initials on them. To me that would indicate that they had removed them for some reason and when they retorqued them, the initials were a "torque marker".

I'm tracking VSC, sun roof and PIO part shortages (TRD air cleaner, illuminated sills).

I saw a post somewhere a new LC FE owner received his and the front lug nuts had initials on them. To me that would indicate that they had removed them for some reason and when the retorqued them the initials were a "torque marker".
I wonder if the lug nut initials were applied at the port, or dealer? Sounds like a port thing. Dang it! Delays, delays! It is a good thing our dealer is only a few blocks away, as if/when I take delivery, it may spend some time there. The headaches of being on the "bleeding edge" of a new model.

I saw a post somewhere a new LC FE owner received his and the front lug nuts had initials on them. To me that would indicate that they had removed them for some reason and when they retorqued them, the initials were a "torque marker".

I'm tracking VSC, sun roof and PIO part shortages (TRD air cleaner, illuminated sills).
For what it's worth on the PIO front, mine is on hold and the only PIO are Door Edge Guards and the Cable Kit.

Edit to mention: not First Edition either so mine isn't the roof rack. Turned down the FE offered to me.

I wonder if the lug nut initials were applied at the port, or dealer? Sounds like a port thing. Dang it! Delays, delays! It is a good thing our dealer is only a few blocks away, as if/when I take delivery, it may spend some time there. The headaches of being on the "bleeding edge" of a new model.
My dealer is 18 miles, I live in Alabama and the dealership is in TN. When I get the call, I'll be there in about 15 minutes. I did have to talk the salesman into driving my Tacoma back to my house........ I asked for driveway delivery and got "what's that"... LOL

For what it's worth on the PIO front, mine is on hold and the only PIO are Door Edge Guards and the Cable Kit
Are you considered in the Gulf port distribution region. From what I have seen they are one of the worst, if not the worst, for tacking on PIO's.

Are you considered in the Gulf port region. From what I have seen they are one of the worst, if not the worst, for tacking on PIO's.
I don't think so. Northern Virginia.

Back