Distracting shadows in Low beam

Hopefully aiming the assembly up a bit will help. Most LED projectors are pretty bright and throw out plenty of lumens. It seems like Toyota/Lexus take a cautious approach to DOT standards, and IIHS ratings on creating glare for oncoming drivers. My mom has a 2021 Lexus RX350 and I have noticed when I get stuck driving it that the low beams while quite bright have a very hard cutoff line that really limits the throw distance.

Meanwhile our Australian made Chevrolet SS has HID projectors for the low beams that are ridiculously bright, and halogen high beams that are also extremely bright and throw light a long long way. I really wonder how they were ever DOT approved, they are blinding. I guess Australians are concerned more about avoiding critters than excessive glare.

I live in a pretty rural area with large wildlife, so headlight performance is important to me.

Caught this guy
IMG_0332.jpeg
out this morning at about 04:45 local time.

Hopefully aiming the assembly up a bit will help. Most LED projectors are pretty bright and throw out plenty of lumens. It seems like Toyota/Lexus take a cautious approach to DOT standards, and IIHS ratings on creating glare for oncoming drivers. My mom has a 2021 Lexus RX350 and I have noticed when I get stuck driving it that the low beams while quite bright have a very hard cutoff line that really limits the throw distance.

Meanwhile our Australian made Chevrolet SS has HID projectors for the low beams that are ridiculously bright, and halogen high beams that are also extremely bright and throw light a long long way. I really wonder how they were ever DOT approved, they are blinding. I guess Australians are concerned more about avoiding critters than excessive glare.

I live in a pretty rural area with large wildlife, so headlight performance is important to me.

Caught this guy View attachment 4316out this morning at about 04:45 local time.
nice rack!

nice rack!
Yes indeed, I delayed going home after a “fun” night of work just to turn around and get a photo op. There were about 6 bulls but by the time I got turned around 3 had moved up into the trees.

The big one is the first one I saw, he had his head down and you could still see antlers. Don’t see 350+ inch bulls every day so I had to go back and look.

Here is the original photo:

IMG_0332.jpeg

Team rectangle here, not dark out but parking garage dark. Lights are not bad. Ran the gambit on the settings and didn’t feel want for more light.

See pic, tiny dips in the beam I wouldn’t have noticed if it wasn’t for this forum 😜 just slightly left of center for driver seat.

Attachments

• IMG_4941.jpeg
    IMG_4941.jpeg
    685.8 KB · Views: 140
Team rectangle here, not dark out but parking garage dark. Lights are not bad. Ran the gambit on the settings and didn’t feel want for more light.

See pic, tiny dips in the beam I wouldn’t have noticed if it wasn’t for this forum 😜 just slightly left of center for driver seat.

Attachments

• IMG_8013.jpeg
    IMG_8013.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 124
I was driving home last night in the dark and noticed the W shadow for the first time (probably wouldn't have if not for this thread), and it occurred to me that, on straight stretches of road, the W perfectly covers oncoming traffic. So I think the purpose of it is to have relatively high low beams without blinding oncoming vehicles.

At my late 40’s vintage, i don’t do much night driving. But when i do, these rounds light up the big things i need to see to make my way. If i need to be able to see the molecular structure of the bug coming at my windshield, or even better, melt him with radiation from high powered headlights, i guess i wouldn’t use my 1958 shrug

I was driving home last night in the dark and noticed the W shadow for the first time (probably wouldn't have if not for this thread), and it occurred to me that, on straight stretches of road, the W perfectly covers oncoming traffic. So I think the purpose of it is to have relatively high low beams without blinding oncoming vehicles.
I too noticed the exact same thing. The low beams did seem a tad bit low, I'm going to explore if I can raise them up a bit.

I too noticed the exact same thing. The low beams did seem a tad bit low, I'm going to explore if I can raise them up a bit.
R u doing this or asking dealership to do it

Mine actually don't seem low to me from the factory, the top of the beam is very similar to where my Tacoma's (without correction after my lift) sit. The high beam throws light for a mile, though, which I like.

R u doing this or asking dealership to do it
I poked around with my AUTEL computer and there is a setting to re-initialize the height setting. After the new has worn off, I might open that up and see it I can raise it up a few degrees

For general info, on rectangle lights, 2 of 3 beams turn on with low setting. All 3 beams turn on with high setting. note, fog lights automatically turn off on high.

Attachments

• 20240727_115118.jpg
    20240727_115118.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20240727_115140.jpg
    20240727_115140.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 54
For general info, on rectangle lights, 2 of 3 beams turn on with low setting. All 3 beams turn on with high setting. note, fog lights automatically turn off on high.
With all the crazy people running poorly directed non-oem leds I have learned not to flash drivers when their fog lights are on as most manufacturers cut off the fog lights when running high beams.

Have the rectangle lights. Not the best lights I’ve ever had, but I’d say better than average. The front of the LC is taller than any other vehicle I’ve had so I’m guessing that’s why it’s not a bright on the road as on some other vehicles.

I saw the ‘W’ for the first time two nights ago when returning from a sightseeing trip about 100 miles away. It is right where oncoming traffic would be, so I think it is designed to be there, so as to not blind the oncoming drivers.

I have the same problem with the rectangular lights. I think I’m going to take it in soon. It’s irritating.

I have the same problem with the rectangular lights. I think I’m going to take it in soon. It’s irritating.
You have “W” shadows ? Or upside mountain peaks as I would call it ?

I assumed it was only the rounds
Prob need to have them raised a little

You have “W” shadows ? Or upside mountain peaks as I would call it ?

I assumed it was only the rounds
Prob need to have them raised a little
Also I was told that unless multiple ppl complain directly to Toyota there’s no way for them to track this as any kind of issue

Back