Direct mount/fixed point, crossbar/tower options

alcruiser222

đź“› Founding Member
Jul 2, 2024
Media
Birmingham, AL
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser 1958 - meteor shower
Has anyone explored a "ditch mount" Yakima type setup? I really like the look and am interested in the lowest profile two crossbar setup.

It seems like you could take advantage of the factory rack mount locations paired with the Yakima landing pads and Skyline towers. Namely looking to understand if the mount point ditch profile and weld-nut spacing fits any existing Yakima landing pads.

Envisioning a look like this:
1725621345769.png

1725621363843.png

I once had a 2004 Nissan Titan and no one made any type of system to allow for roof racks (I think it was due to the fact that there was really nothing to clamp to at the door frames on this particular vehicle). I ended up buying a set of Yakima tracks, drilling and bolting them to the top of the Titan (scary I know, especially because there were airbags mounted above the front passenger and driver side windows I was trying to avoid drilling into). This allowed me to install landing pads and cross bars exactly like the system you are inquiring about. It worked like a champ, so I am totally interested in knowing if this set-up would work. The Yakima “track” is 1 5/8” wide and it looks like to depression in the roof of the LC is just wide enough to accept it. Only issue I see is that the longest they come is 60” and based on where the feet for the factory roof rails are located, it appears that we would need something longer than that, say 72”, to be able to attach to all 6 factory anchor points on each side.

Anyone with a 1958 willing to pop off the delete kit and measure from the furthest front hole to the furthest back hole on the roof?

Having a quality set of tracks and numerous options for cross bars lengths and types is exciting! It would be very low profile and popping off the bars/landing pads is a cinch for when you don’t need them. Obviously, with Yakima’s ecosystem there is TONS of options for all manner of mounts…

See my post here: Adding/removing roof rails

I was looking into the same exact thing. I installed the Rhino Rack RTS ditch tracks on my old Tacoma and it was awesome with the Yakima quick release mounts. I'd LOVE the same thing on the LC. I bet the Landing Pad 29 or 30 might work for these if the bolt spacing is the same.

Back