Digital Key

chrisholly

πŸ“› Founding Member
May 7, 2024
amarilo
Vehicles
tundra and 4 runner
Just FYI, Ive been using the digital key all weekend long and its pretty scary to take the car and NOT have a key with you but I've been doing it for a few days now and its been working great. It works off of blue tooth on your phone and you have to have the app open and pretty close to your car but works great! My wife keeps the key buried in her purse so this really helps the fact of me not digging through her purse and empty everything out so I can drive the Land Cruiser. Just take my phone!

Wish that was my experience...my LC keeps having connectivity issues with the phone

I can't wrap my head around not physically not having keys with you. Accidently drop your phone and break it........ you're kind of in a pickle.

Last edited:
Or drop it in a lake, like I have done. But, I have probably lost more keys than phones in my lifetime.
I like it for starting the AC, but I will be carrying both most of the time.

I need to set this up because one of my key fobs died after just a couple weeks. Fortunately I was only stranded at grocery store a short couple miles from home but it would have saved me a bit of a hassle.

Unlocking and/or remote starting using the app only works about 80% of the time for me despite having a 4-5 bar mobile signal and current app and vehicle software. Nice gimmick that kinda works but not nearly reliable enough to not carry a key fob.

My digital key has worked great after a glitch or two on the first day, but no problems since! You just have to make sure the app is open on your phone, and sometimes it can take a couple seconds to register, but I'm confident enough in it that I frequently go without the key fob and all is well!

I run a lot and don't like to run with either my phone or a key fob (my Garmin holds all the music I need and I don't want any calls!) so I've purchased a small, black, discrete "Faraday" bag that I slip the key fob into after locking the vehicle before a run and hide the bag/key on one of the top springs in the wheel well (making sure no passers-by are watching) and it works great! The car can't sense that the key is near. Then, when not in use, if folds up and fits perfectly hidden in the driver door handle hole.

Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 2.06.23β€―PM.png

Last edited:
My digital key keeps getting removed from my phone. When I hit the download digital key button I am met with an error. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app fixes the issues.

It is likely because I am beta testing iOS 18.1. So, if anyone is thinking of beta testing iOS 18/18.1 you will not have a reliable experience.

I need to set this up because one of my key fobs died after just a couple weeks. Fortunately I was only stranded at grocery store a short couple miles from home but it would have saved me a bit of a hassle.
You do know if you hold the dead fob up against the start button (1/4") and press the start button, it will start the car if the fob's battery is dead.

My digital key keeps getting removed from my phone. When I hit the download digital key button I am met with an error. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app fixes the issues.

It is likely because I am beta testing iOS 18.1. So, if anyone is thinking of beta testing iOS 18/18.1 you will not have a reliable experience.
Many of us had the same issue on the Tacoma 4G site. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app did fix it.

Back