Dealer scratched all 4 wheels - then made it right (so far)

pickax

📛 Founding Member
Jul 22, 2024
Media
Kennewick WA
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser J250; 2001 Cherokee XJ; 1995.5 V6 Tacoma SR5 (now my son's)
I had the Hermiston OR Toyota dealership install new tires on day one – unfortunately they scratched up all 4 wheels down to the base coat; like if one clamped the wheel with some vice grips and then pulled/dragged across (you would have thought the tech might have noticed after the 1st wheel … ). They owned it and arranged to send over their “wheel guy”. I’ve never dealt with wheel repair and was skeptical. It took a while to resolve due to scheduling, but yesterday ClearTech out of Kennewick WA showed up and a 3-man pit crew went to work sanding and painting right there in my driveway – it was hard to watch 😬

I couldn’t believe the result – perfect match of color and sheen, no trace of any scratch, even close up under an LED flashlight. Durability - only time will tell, but right now I have zero complaints.

Chatting with the guys I learned that they work with dealerships in Hermiston, Tri-cities WA, Walla Walla, Les Schwab, etc. etc. – their next stop was a Dodge dealership where they had 17 wheels to repair. Total pros. Perhaps not the same result for all wheel finishes, and certainly not for chrome – but for these OEM wheels it turned out great, and knowing ClearTech is out there relieved my curb-rash anxiety going forward.

Attachments

• 20240926_093735.jpg
    20240926_093735.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 104
From what I have seen these wheel repair businesses are pretty good. There is a company I see that works at a few dealerships near me. That reminds me I really need to get their name and number for that “just in case” scenario

and you'd be well within your rights
The 2024 First Edition wheels are going away for the 2025 model year according to one of the inmates here. So they will be ‘unobtanium’ when the patch job fails prematurely.

The 2024 First Edition wheels are going away for the 2025 model year according to one of the inmates here. So they will be ‘unobtanium’ when the patch job fails prematurely.
Not an FE owner myself, but no worries, i know a shop that can fix up unobtanium wheels good as new😉

Back