Dead battery in smart key

dpcompt

📛 Founding Member
Sep 22, 2024
Lodi,CA
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
I have owned a lot of cars with smart keys over the years and the batteries that died usually lasted well past a year. My wife's Landcruiser smart key quit after a month. I ordered some batteries from Amazon and will replace the one in her smart key. The other key is working. Has anyone experienced this problem in their new Landcruiser?

The same thing happened to me, had to order new batteries from Amazon and then thought that the battery couldn't have been empty after just a month of ownership. I opened the smart key case, removed the battery, let it set for about 30 seconds, and then reinstalled the battery. Sure enough, the reboot of the key got it working again.

I now have spare batteries sitting at home when the factory batteries need to be replaced.

When I was in the stealership yesterday, I told them that it was ridiculous that I had to hold the key fob right up to the door handle. They replaced my battery with a complementary replacement and it seems to be working better now. This battery is supposed to last 2 to 3 years, but six months is ridiculous.

Mine died after 2 months! I've luckily been using the spare but will try to remove and replace to see if that works!

I had to replace mine as well, I knew about the reboot trick, but it was a dead battery. On a nother note, the credit card key battery is huge!

I had to replace mine as well, I knew about the reboot trick, but it was a dead battery. On a nother note, the credit card key battery is huge!
I had a credit card key with my Lexus and that battery only lasted for six months at a time.

It's just CR2032 cells right? Those are pretty common and worth keeping a stash, IMO. I keep a stockpile of them with my AAAs and AAs.

No, it is a CR2450 and they are not that common.
Interesting. Just checked the manual and you’re right. My previous Toyota fobs all used CR2032.

A quick search online suggests same voltage but 3x the capacity. Which is ironic since everyone is having them die very early in this thread 🫠

The same thing happened to me, had to order new batteries from Amazon and then thought that the battery couldn't have been empty after just a month of ownership. I opened the smart key case, removed the battery, let it set for about 30 seconds, and then reinstalled the battery. Sure enough, the reboot of the key got it working again.

I now have spare batteries sitting at home when the factory batteries need to be replaced.
I told them that it was ridiculous that I had to hold the key fob right up to the door handle.
I had the same experience only 4 weeks into ownership. The key FOB suddenly quit working while I was 15 mi into a dirt road in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception. Expletives were expelled aplenty. After taking some deep breaths to calm myself I remembered verbiage in the manual about touching the FOB up to the start button and that worked to start the truck and got me back to civilization. Thinking same as others about a battery dying so quickly I also tried the remove/reinstall battery trick to reboot the FOB and that resolved the problem. Regardless, I've now stashed a new CR2450 replacement battery in the car for the next time it decides to scare me and the "reboot" doesn't work.
I also agree that the range of the FOB is pathetically short when compared to all other vehicles I've ever owned...

Last edited:
Back