Cooling box

There is enough room in the glove boxfor my G23 with a 22 round magazine. Memphis, you know.
Memphis.... Born and raised over 60 years ago my friend... Got the hell out in my 20's about the time Herrington became Mayor!
Mom still lives there out side of Germantown. Funny... her house is in Memphis... but the house across the street is Germantown. (Kirby Parkway area)
One thing... Memphis taught me how to drive! No one here will understand... But all other City's I have been in.... look like putt putt go carts in comparison. They have no Idea!

So.... what is a throw away gun? It's a cheap gun that shoots well but you don't mine getting stolen!

Okay, I'll bite. Is your throw-away gun really as unsecured as your post makes it sound? I don't want to hijack this thread but I'd like to understand this better as it sounds irresponsible on the surface. I've been thinking a lot about this kind of thing lately because I've considering applying for a permit. Maybe it's a good topic for the Off-topic area.
It's in my glove box... How more secure can I make it.... and still have access when I need it? Yes.... I lock my car doors!

Still not going to put My CZ Tactical Sport orange that I paid $1800.00 in my glove box! So I put a gun I don't care that gets stolen... thus throw away... But, you need to shoot it as well as your expensive guns.... Thus trigger pull weight is very very important!

You know why cops shoot bystanders... more often than the actual criminals?
Because they have a 12lb trigger and they only shoot once a year to qualify... You try and hold a gun steady under life threatening pressure and pull 12lb with one finger with a gun you shoot once or twice a year! You get the idea. Don't stand behind a bad guy!

BTY... I have no permit... don't care to get one... Never carry on my person (Except when hiking with my wife in the outdoors) as I never felt the need... But always have a gun in my car! In fact... I have My wife keep a 22lr revolver in her car... She cant deal with semi auto's but she can pull the trigger on a revolver... Better than nothing and she knows how to shoot it.

I load my own ammo... (Dillon 650 press)and I load it as light as I can... I shoot about 2000 rounds a month... and have done so for the past 11 or 12 Years. That 5lb bucket of 9mm brass in the picture is about 3 month of competition shooting... I shoot 22lr one match and 9mm the next match twice a month for over 11yrs.

Don't get a permit... get a 22lr pistol and shoot local matches at your local club... beacuse it's cheap and fun! The big secret.... is the guys at the club love sharing shooting skills... I got free training at my club because I shot with an instructor. This guy could not keep his mouth shut about all the bad stuff I was doing so he kept telling me what to do... He charged 150 an hour for classes... Yet... I got it for free because he sould not stand to see some newbie shoot as bad as I did years ago! I had fun too, and still do!

Point being.... Don't leave an expensive gun in your LC to get stolen.

Attachments

• 20240812_223827[1].jpg
    20240812_223827[1].jpg
    233 KB · Views: 37
That’s fascinating - so if you carry a gun in a vehicle in the US and it’s stolen are there no consequences for you ?

In the UK my shotgun certificate needs to be renewed every 5 years and it’s quite closely scrutinised by the police firearms team with a need for references including from my Dr and they interview me and anyone living in the same property - check the storage arrangements etc

if I left a shotgun in a vehicle and it was stolen all hell would break lose - I would potentially lose my right to own a shotgun and it could be far worse if they deemed the loss to be as a result of negligence on my part

The concept of a throw away lethal firearm is an interesting one

That’s fascinating - so if you carry a gun in a vehicle in the US and it’s stolen are there no consequences for you ?

In the UK my shotgun certificate needs to be renewed every 5 years and it’s quite closely scrutinised by the police firearms team with a need for references including from my Dr and they interview me and anyone living in the same property - check the storage arrangements etc

if I left a shotgun in a vehicle and it was stolen all hell would break lose - I would potentially lose my right to own a shotgun and it could be far worse if they deemed the loss to be as a result of negligence on my part

Please don't judge on one instance. There are more people than not, that don't agree with a throw away gun. My firearms are always secured in a lockbox, in my safe or inside my house. I have never purposely left a firearm in my vehicle glove box.

thanks for the insight Pierac. I'm not questioning your bona fides or your commitment to keep innocents safe, it's just that mistakes do happen and if it were me, I would worry about that time I forgot to lock the doors (or sat on the fob) and nosy local kid found there way into your glovebox. I guess what I'm saying is, if you need it when you're in your car, maybe you SHOULD carry so it's always with you. But you know your situation better than me....just sharing where I'm coming from.

It's not an option to own a handgun in NY without a permit. You have two options.....conceal/carry and "on-premises only". Like you....I'm not really interested in carrying so I'm thinking about the premises permit, but everyone here says just get the carry permit in case you want to carry later. Not sure. The only time I would transport it would be to training and competitions (if I get that far). I should add.....the only reason that I'm even considering it at this point is that I feel they finally have secure, but still easy access, storage options. I feel I can have access if I need it, but still keep kids from getting their hands on it.

Sorry all.....back on subject. how 'bout them cool boxes? eh?! oes anyone actually use it for cold drinks? I kinds wish I had a larger room temp box, but I'll make do. I'm interested in the tray that's in the works.

I've heard there is on/off for the cooler box. I assume you can just leave off and use as storage?

Yep, there is an on/off button. :)
My biggest gripe is the size of the cool box... My nephew has a 2014/2015 Lexus SUV that has a cool box that is 3 times the size and his SUV is smaller...

1? I carry 4... LOL

Please don't judge on one instance. There are more people than not, that don't agree with a throw away gun. My firearms are always secured in a lockbox, in my safe or inside my house. I have never purposely left a firearm in my vehicle glove box.
I totally agree.... I have guys I shoot with that actually carry their gun with a round in the chamber on their person daily!

2 issues here
1. I'm thinking no way will I carry a gun on my person for no reason. (Unless hiking out in the middle of nowhere)
2. Never ever ever would I keep a round in the chamber! That includes hiking!

No hot guns... Even my guns in my house are cold! Ie... no round in the chamber

Yet.. they think I'm the one who's wrong.

We all have our level of security

Last edited:

I keep a copy of the serial number to report to the police... That way if it's found... they have to return it back to me... That's why we have police... to return stolen property!

I totally agree.... I have guys I shoot with that actually carry their gun with a round in the chamber on their person daily!

2 issues here
1. I'm thinking no way will I carry a gun on my person for no reason. (Unless hiking out in the middle of nowhere)

I have different views and leave it at that.

I have different views and leave it at that.
I agree... and so does Bill Gates... and Jeff Bezos... I'm pretty sure they think you should never have the ability to even own a gun .... Ever!!!

And they would be correct... in the world they live!

Yet.... they are surrounded by more guns daily than you will ever see in a year! Why? Becaues their life is more important than you ... your wife.. and your Kids...

So we will leave it at that!

2 issues here

I'm the opposite, every weapon I have and/or carry is locked and loaded... In the event they are needed, I don't want/need to have to take time to chamber a round. :)

I'm the opposite, every weapon I have and/or carry is locked and loaded... In the event they are needed, I don't want/need to have to take time to chamber a round. :)
Yep... just like most of my shooting buddies... Still... makes my butt pucker to think i have a round in a gun I''m not ready to shoot... LOL

Been handling guns for 55 years, never ever had one accidently discharge. I credit my old man for teaching me how to properly handle weapons at a very young age.

Now When I had kids in the house........ everything was in a lock box. Now when my G-Baby comes for a visit everything goes in my safe..

So is there really a cool box tray coming? It wouldn’t solve all the issues with that tiny box being used for storage, but it would help.

Back