Cloud Navigation

jumpin

📛 Founding Member
Aug 2, 2024
usa
Vehicles
Highlander 2019
I am comparing the LC, the GX550, and 4Runner for my next purchase. How does cloud navigation work in reality?

Is cell service required at all times. Or is cell service just needed for updates? Though I try to remember to download google maps, sometimes I forget until it's too late and I really like having built in navigation as a back up. I can handle paying a subscription as long as it functions off grid.

I haven’t tested this, but I would assume that the maps will work offline. You may not get live traffic, but the map and route itself will work. The navigation on vehicles is usually stored locally.

Even with Google Maps you can get to a destination by driving out of cell range during navigation but then when you get up the next morning and start out on a new trip it needs internet to plot a new destination unless you have downloaded the maps.

With Apple Maps you can choose geographic areas to download offline maps for. I run into spotty cell coverage in the rural areas here, so I downloaded my entire province.

With Apple Maps you can choose geographic areas to download offline maps for. I run into spotty cell coverage in the rural areas here, so I downloaded my entire province.
Same with Google Maps.

starlink too

Anyone know the watt rating on the front USB?

Back