Cabin (wind) noise

shwazz714

đź“› Founding Member
May 5, 2024
Media
san diego
Vehicles
2024 LC
The noise in the cabin (mostly wind noise i think) gets decently loud as the LC gets up to speed. Seems like it comes off of side mirrors, windshield, and then the FE roof rack too.

Any ideas out there on how to reduce - obviously taking the rack off would help OR not driving such a boxy car - but curious if there are any add on enhancements that help with this type of noise.

I know the LC only has acoustic glass for windshield and doesn’t seem like you can upgrade the door windows yourself.

Just curious. Its not really that big of a deal but I love the car, it’s my daily driver and want to keep it for a very long time, so if there’s stuff that works I’d be interested in investing in it!

Just viewed a video comparing the LC and GX, the latter employing acoustic glass on the door windows. The difference was noticeable, but not pronounced. Of course the other quietness factor with the GX is the smooth V6. He did mention the roof rack was also a contributor.

Removing the crossbars would help, but the car is shaped like a brick stacked on top of a slightly larger brick. Wind noise is just part of the equation haha

I would love to visit the Tahara plant and personally see if, short of acoustic glass, there is a difference in the sound-deadening materials between LC and GX. My guess, yes.

Removing the crossbars would help, but the car is shaped like a brick stacked on top of a slightly larger brick. Wind noise is just part of the equation haha
Yep I know that’s built in, but I’m sure there’s some ways to deaden the sound a bit… maybe not but let’s see what others say!

I wonder if other markets use acoustic glass for the LC250. If so, you could theoretically retrofit it.

I'd be tempted to do the same for amber rear turn signals

If someone (not me) wanted to go the extreme....... There's a product called "lizard Skin" that I have used on a jeep with good results.

The extreme part......... strip out the interior and spray the roof and side walls.

Depending if the doors have that hollow clunk when you close them, I'll be installing some "dynamat" in the doors. I hate that hollow sound when you close the door. It may or may not help with wind noise.

The noise in the cabin (mostly wind noise i think) gets decently loud as the LC gets up to speed. Seems like it comes off of side mirrors, windshield, and then the FE roof rack too.

Any ideas out there on how to reduce - obviously taking the rack off would help OR not driving such a boxy car - but curious if there are any add on enhancements that help with this type of noise.

I know the LC only has acoustic glass for windshield and doesn’t seem like you can upgrade the door windows yourself.

Just curious. Its not really that big of a deal but I love the car, it’s my daily driver and want to keep it for a very long time, so if there’s stuff that works I’d be interested in investing in it!
At what speeds does the noise in the cabin become an issue with your FE (with stock roof rack)? Does road surface make a difference? Are your tires stock (Michelin)?

If someone (not me) wanted to go the extreme....... There's a product called "lizard Skin" that I have used on a jeep with good results.

The extreme part......... strip out the interior and spray the roof and side walls.

Depending if the doors have that hollow clunk when you close them, I'll be installing some "dynamat" in the doors. I hate that hollow sound when you close the door. It may or may not help with wind noise.
Dynamat will help lower the noise floor, but I don’t think it will do much for wind noise, which you’d hear through the glass.

I would just cross my fingers for a future option to swap the glass. Maybe someone can make some aftermarket mirror housing that’s aerodynamic but I’m not going to count on that. I also like the squared off look.

If you want to hear a loud SUV, jump in an older Mercedes G class. Deafening. The LC is quieter than everything except the Land Rovers and GX550

I just read an interesting article about window tint reducing wind noise.

Hmmmmmm while I don't like dark tint, I may have to look into some light tint if wind noise is distracting.

(the article)
"In Conclusion:

Window tint is an effective way to reduce road noise and make driving more enjoyable. The research has consistently found that window tint is effective in reducing the amount of sound that enters the car. Window tint works by absorbing and reflecting sound waves, and it can help to reduce wind noise as well."

At what speeds does the noise in the cabin become an issue with your FE (with stock roof rack)? Does road surface make a difference? Are your tires stock (Michelin)?
I hear wind noise first kick up at around 45 mphs and then much more pronounced (still not crazy loud) at highway speeds. I have stock fe roof rack and stock tires (Michelin).

Road surface wise it doesn’t seem to make a difference, but I live in coastal Southern California near estuaries and definitely hear the noise more around those where the wind flows more quickly to / from the ocean.

I’m going to tint my windows next week so will report back if that helps. I was also going to ask the tint folks if they have another other solutions for cutting down wind noise.

Have thought about dynamiting - mostly for the louder door thud (coming from Audi this always gave the allusion of well made).

I also think maybe a different more aero dynamic roof rack would help.

Lastly, once these tires run their course I’ll look for quieter riding ones, and likely new wheels at that juncture too

Does anyone with a 1958 or LC (non FE) have the same issue with highway noise?
I notice it a bit on the highways...seems mostly to be from the absolutely humongous mirrors.

I’ll likely look into an aftermarket roof rack that is better for fuel efficiency and wind noise at some point.. may even go roof cross bars at some point instead. I’ll really only put up my surfboard, snowboard, and maybe a Thule rack down the road.

I will say the stock fe rack was really nice to put a surfboard on this weekend… the machined holes in the side made strapping it in a breeze….

Does anyone with a 1958 or LC (non FE) have the same issue with highway noise?
I have a LC edition and I don't hear an inordinate amount of road noise at high speeds. There is some though but not as pronounced as my 100 series.

At 45 and above the wind noise is loud to the point of being really distracting and irritating in my LC. Dealership has taken off cross bars and that did nothing. Yesterday they closed the holes from the cross bars - also nothing.

I do notice on windy days, we just had a bunch of wind in FL from the tropic storm, and that was extremely noisy. I don't have much of an issue on regular days though, even at highway speeds. It's noticeable but I didn't think it was significantly worse than my Silverado.

I have a 1958, I find the interior to be very quiet, including at highway speeds. Maybe my standards are low having come from a 2007 Accord and 2012 Civic?

I always have the radio on I can't hear any of the supposed wind noise you all are talking about :cool: My FJ of 16 yrs didnt make any sound either.

Last edited:
I have a 1958, I find the interior to be very quiet, including at highway speeds. Maybe my standards are low having come from a 2007 Accord and 2012 Civic?
Same here. 1958 - no more wind noise than my 4Runner had or wife's Q3 has.

Back