Black smoke and loss of power

MfuweTiger

📛 Founding Member
Jun 12, 2024
Mfuwe
Vehicles
2019 landcruiser D/C
Hello Guys & Gals,

I have an issue that i (well, mine and any other mechanic) can't seem to solve.
On a return from Namibia to Zambia, and almost at my destination, my car started to lose power when the accelerator was pressed, especially going uphill, and blows A LOT of black smoke. This went on for a goo 90km's, and i thought i maybe i unknowingly got a bad batch of fuel in Lusaka.
I filled the car up full in the next town, the issue seemed to go away for the most part (no more hills really form this point), and i arrived in Chipata and showed the issue to my mechanic.

So from there, we dropped the fuel tank and cleaned this and the filter on top of the tank. Services the car and changed all filters, oil and replaced. Cleaned out the EGR, and i thought all was good after the first 60km's, until the first decent hill. Then the smoke came ahain and power was lost over taking or ascending any hills.

Next we serviced the injectors and pump (in Lusaka and a reputable place), and all seemed good again, unti around the same time, same hill and black smoke again and no power.

I'm at a loss as what to try next.

I live in a remore part of Zambia, so mechanic here (mfuwe) are of no help.
My mechanic in Chipata (a decent size town) is a no nonsense type of guy, and normally pretty good.

\Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be???

My car is a 2019 double cab landcruiser, 158000km's, and otherwise in great condition.

Any advice would be amaizing

Thanks

Hello Guys & Gals,

On a return from Namibia to Zambia, and almost at my destination, my car started to lose power when the accelerator was pressed, especially going uphill, and blows A LOT of black smoke. This went on for a goo 90km's, and i thought i maybe i unknowingly got a bad batch of fuel in Lusaka.
I filled the car up full in the next town, the issue seemed to go away for the most part (no more hills really form this point), and i arrived in Chipata and showed the issue to my mechanic.

So from there, we dropped the fuel tank and cleaned this and the filter on top of the tank. Services the car and changed all filters, oil and replaced. Cleaned out the EGR, and i thought all was good after the first 60km's, until the first decent hill. Then the smoke came ahain and power was lost over taking or ascending any hills.

Next we serviced the injectors and pump (in Lusaka and a reputable place), and all seemed good again, unti around the same time, same hill and black smoke again and no power.

My mechanic in Chipata (a decent size town) is a no nonsense type of guy, and normally pretty good.

My car is a 2019 double cab landcruiser, 158000km's, and otherwise in great condition.

Thanks
You may have better success posting in the forum for previous generation Land Cruisers. This one is specifically for 2024 Land Cruisers and may not be of as much help as you hope.

Are the cylinder compressions within specs?
Mate, I have no idea. But i do know that it has only ever been touched by high quality autorised mechanics until this issue happened a few weeks ago. And after a major service, it happened out of the blue 2000+ km's after the service (injectors weren't touched at service)

Hello Guys & Gals,

Thanks
I suggest you contact Hashim on this forum as he is a mechanical engineer with experience with Land Cruisers, mostly 75, 78, 79, 80 , 100, 105, 200 and 300 series. hashim Automotive

Black smoke is indicative of incomplete combustion. Is your turbocharger supplying boost? Do you have a boost leak?

In my opinion, the timing chain/belt was installed without the engine cams/crank being lined up correctly. The sprockets should have alignment marks. In my opinion, those marks were out of alignment. I would double check that and make sure those marks are perfectly in alignment.

I wish you'd put "Older LC" in the heading :) Would be a bit alarming if this was happening to a '24 LC, given all the issues Toyota is having with their V6 I-Force,

In my opinion, the timing chain/belt was installed without the engine cams/crank being lined up correctly. The sprockets should have alignment marks. In my opinion, those marks were out of alignment. I would double check that and make sure those marks are perfectly in alignment.
Thanks Lineman. You may be corrtect, that sort of this is above my pay grade and knowledge...Seems strange i drove 2oookm's with no problems after yhe timing belt was changed before anything happened...But i'll check with my mechanic. Thanks again

Back