Apple CarPlay is Garbage- Did we get the Beta version?

Winchester44

📛 Founding Member
Aug 14, 2024
Media
Texas
Vehicles
2024 LC LC Trim
I finally took mine in to have the tech look at why CarPlay refused to function correctly. It seems they are well aware of this issue. I was told at the dealer and to “be patient and await an update.” To be frank Toyotas Apple Car play software is total garbage. It has more glitches than features and doesn’t connect more than half the time. It recently totally packed up on me on a 4 hour trip and I drove on in silence. Well not total silence, just wind noise from the mirrors. The software code must be riddled with errors as it never behaves the same way twice. Google maps audio drops, then it’s back. Amazon Music freezes completely then it says search unavailable. iPhone randomly disables itself as CarPlay device, then readable all by itself. Don’t get me started on Siri…

Anyone have any ideas on a solution ?

Yeah no solution, but I have mine freak out on me as well.

Try using a wire instead of wireless. This has been an issue with other models for years. The solutions are a cable instead of wireless (0 issues in 1k miles in my LC with this method). And then restarting the head unit and reconnecting. To restart the head unit hold the volume/power knob down until it restarts.

I finally took mine in to have the tech look at why CarPlay refused to function correctly. It seems they are well aware of this issue. I was told at the dealer and to “be patient and await an update.” To be frank Toyotas Apple Car play software is total garbage. It has more glitches than features and doesn’t connect more than half the time. It recently totally packed up on me on a 4 hour trip and I drove on in silence. Well not total silence, just wind noise from the mirrors. The software code must be riddled with errors as it never behaves the same way twice. Google maps audio drops, then it’s back. Amazon Music freezes completely then it says search unavailable. iPhone randomly disables itself as CarPlay device, then readable all by itself. Don’t get me started on Siri…

I don’t use google maps audio or Amazon music but CarPlay connects and works great. Even the wireless charger for an iPhone works. My wife, who rarely drives the LC, drove it and said CarPlay connected immediately. I have 4 vehicles 2020 or newer and the LC works best for CarPlay.?? Of course CarPlay is totally useless without cell service and that’s what the LC is designed to access.

I've had issues with CarPlay connecting as well. But, the truly bizarre glitch is when I use voice control for SIRI and the audio continues to play as I shout over it to be heard by the car. :oops: I've also noticed that I have to speak much louder than normal to be heard by SIRI, even if no audio is playing.

Other than the very first day where it connected and the following day totally forgot me, it has worked flawlessly either wired or wirelessly for me.

In my previous car, it was too old for CarPlay, but the same phone would have tons of bluetooth issues - it was a small part of why I got a new car, but I also had a dash cam in that, and wasn't sure if that caused some interference (haven't yet put that in this new car).

I've had issues with CarPlay connecting as well. But, the truly bizarre glitch is when I use voice control for SIRI and the audio continues to play as I shout over it to be heard by the car. :oops: I've also noticed that I have to speak much louder than normal to be heard by SIRI, even if no audio is playing.
Same here on both points. In order actually use Siri, I have to pause the audio source first. Annoying. But... zero connection issues.

I have these exact same issues. Very annoying.

zero issues with carplay but I am also wired in. My charging pad is fickle and doesn't charge or stay charged so I just plug it in instead. I have about 1600 miles as well with several road trips.

I have these exact issues and it is very frustrating. The random connecting and disconnecting is driving me crazy. It happens with the bluetooth connection as well as the wired connection. This seems to indicate it a system problem. Hopefully Toyota recognizes it and gets a quick fix.

I’ve had the same problem with Apple CarPlay. Random disconnections and connections. When I reconnect it, it disconnects, sometimes seconds later, other times a minute later. It is very annoying.

I use CarPlay on every trip. No issues with wireless connection except for an occasional CarPlay drop when trying to make a call. I have an iphone13 and the latest iOS. Could be an iOS problem also.

Of course CarPlay is totally useless without cell service and that’s what the LC is designed to access.
I'd qualify this statement to say that if you have music downloaded to your phone, you can still access it via CarPlay when you have no cell signal. Map renders can fade in/out as you gain/lose signal, but Gaia will randomly hold onto detail without signal, but can also lose the detail for no apparent reason, regaining it randomly a minute later, or an hour later when signal is regained. The Gaia app/CarPlay implementation certainly leaves something to be desired, but not sure if it's due to CarPlay or Gaia. OnX is also randomly marginal without service, but can at times work. I wish there was some sort of interface/settings for the CarPlay implementation in the LC.

Back