Anyone move from 4Runner to Land Cruiser?

kdirks

📛 Founding Member
Jun 28, 2024
Media
Austin, TX
Vehicles
24 Land Cruiser Premium
If you moved from a 4Runner to the new Land Cruiser what is your opinion? I’m particularly interested in the interior differences.

I moved from a 2019 TRD Off Road Premium, world of difference, much nicer tech, better interior, roomier, and softer ride. While some folks complain about gas mileage in the LC, I was averaging 16.5-17 in the 4Runner, currently averaging 21.7-22 in the LC, so I’m happy with that. Loved my 4Runner, but this is a much better driving experience.

I am disappointed the new 4Runner interior is essentially identical to the '24 Tacoma, from the front seats forward.

Moving from a 2022 4Runner TRD Pro (that someone rear ended me last October and got totaled) to a LC LC +premium. (that should be delivered next week or two)
I got inside all trims and test drove the 1958 and the LC LC +premium.

Leaps and bounds better and faster.
For me is the the natural evolution of the 4Runner.

The new 4Runner is cool, but even if it was available now I would keep the LC.

I am disappointed the new 4Runner interior is essentially identical to the '24 Tacoma, from the front seats forward.
I agree, the new 4Runner interior seems too chaotic while the LC interior looks much more refined and “mature.”

I have a LC premium coming in a couple of weeks and can hardly wait.

I currently drive a 5th gen 4Runner but I am on a waiting list for a LC. Can someone who has come from a 4Runner let me know how it handles vs. the 4Runner? Especially interested in the breaking performance. I always felt that the 4Runner had to much nose dive. Thanks

Welcome to the forum PMP50! Of course the 2025 4Runner will be a completely different animal, in essence a Tacoma with a passenger/cargo rear, akin to when the 4Runner was first introduced. The Taco, 4Runner. and LC will all share the same frame/drivetrain. If they share the same brakes, not sure, but possibly. This seems to be the push by Toyota, commonality across lines. I have noticed that the non-hybrids appear to have a vacuum brake booster, and a different system for the hybrids. Personally, I would prefer the latter, as I view vacuum boosters a thing of the past.

I have moved from '23 TRD ORP 4R to new LC Prem.

Main loss is upfront storage space inside. Also, I dislike the way the back seats tumble rather than fold flat. Hybrid battery bump not appreciated either. Is taller so will be harder to load roof rack. Do not like pedestrian warning sound at low speeds. Miss sound of a old fashioned engine. This one sounds like you'd expect if you slapped a couple of turbos on my mom's 4 cylinder Camry. Did I mention nil interior storage space around the driver and passenger? Coolbox suuuucks. I would classify all of these as quibbles and you may not be able to tell that I am comfortable with my choice!

Positives for the LC... tech tech tech. VERY peppy engine and drivetrain....4R was a dog. power rear lift gate. better gas mileage (but smaller tank)

I was prepared to wait for the 25 4R which will have all the same tech and drivetrain, but decided to jump into this new LC. I like the interior and exterior styling better than the images of the new 4R...and the old 4R already looks quite dated. I am told by my family the LC fits my "style" better than 4R... whatever that means!

"I am told by my family the LC fits my "style" better than 4R... whatever that means!"
As a senior citizen+, I definitely prefer the interior styling of the LC versus the new 4runner. Don't need the console grab handle, nor the protruding infotainment screen.

I moved from a 2019 TRD Off Road Premium, world of difference, much nicer tech, better interior, roomier, and softer ride. While some folks complain about gas mileage in the LC, I was averaging 16.5-17 in the 4Runner, currently averaging 21.7-22 in the LC, so I’m happy with that. Loved my 4Runner, but this is a much better driving experience.
Was your 4r equipped with kdss? If so, is the handling on the lc just as good?

I have moved from '23 TRD ORP 4R to new LC Prem.

Main loss is upfront storage space inside. Also, I dislike the way the back seats tumble rather than fold flat. Hybrid battery bump not appreciated either. Is taller so will be harder to load roof rack. Do not like pedestrian warning sound at low speeds. Miss sound of a old fashioned engine. This one sounds like you'd expect if you slapped a couple of turbos on my mom's 4 cylinder Camry. Did I mention nil interior storage space around the driver and passenger? Coolbox suuuucks. I would classify all of these as quibbles and you may not be able to tell that I am comfortable with my choice!

Positives for the LC... tech tech tech. VERY peppy engine and drivetrain....4R was a dog. power rear lift gate. better gas mileage (but smaller tank)

I was prepared to wait for the 25 4R which will have all the same tech and drivetrain, but decided to jump into this new LC. I like the interior and exterior styling better than the images of the new 4R...and the old 4R already looks quite dated. I am told by my family the LC fits my "style" better than 4R... whatever that means!
Was your 4r equipped with kdss? If so, does the lc handle as good?

Was your 4r equipped with kdss? If so, does the lc handle as good?
Yess to KDSS. Have not detected a noticeable handling difference, but that may just be me. They both ride/drive more like a truck than an SUV to me. Other folks may have differing opinions.
My wife's 2011 Lexus 450h is a smoooth and quiet ride. And was made before they added the Pedestrian warning sound!

Me too. Main reason for me to wait for my LC to arrive.

What parts of the country have LCs available for test drives? All the dealers I've contacted in SF Bay Area are refusing to offer test drives except for imminent purchases.

What parts of the country have LCs available for test drives? All the dealers I've contacted in SF Bay Area are refusing to offer test drives except for imminent purchases.
Here and WA if you time it right you can find some in stock that are unsold.
Typically it don't last more than a day or two.
That's how I tested a 1958 and a LC LC premium (plus a GX550)

Here and WA if you time it right you can find some in stock that are unsold.
Typically it don't last more than a day or two.
That's how I tested a 1958 and a LC LC premium (plus a GX550)
I have a stealership across the street from my place in Georgia with a 1958 sitting there for 3 weeks now because they are asking $10k markup and they refuse to let anyone test drive! A customer that was with the salesman before me cussed him out over it and left in a huff.

Try Hansel Toyota in Petaluma. They had no problem letting me try a 1958 a couple of weeks ago. Ended up finding what I wanted at Vallejo but Hansel was cool with that. Good dealership I have used before.

I have a stealership across the street from my place in Georgia with a 1958 sitting there for 3 weeks now because they are asking $10k markup and they refuse to let anyone test drive! A customer that was with the salesman before me cussed him out over it and left in a huff.
There's plenty of ones like that here too.
You gotta do the homework and find the better dealers in your area.

Welcome to the forum PMP50! Of course the 2025 4Runner will be a completely different animal, in essence a Tacoma with a passenger/cargo rear, akin to when the 4Runner was first introduced. The Taco, 4Runner. and LC will all share the same frame/drivetrain. If they share the same brakes, not sure, but possibly. This seems to be the push by Toyota, commonality across lines. I have noticed that the non-hybrids appear to have a vacuum brake booster, and a different system for the hybrids. Personally, I would prefer the latter, as I view vacuum boosters a thing of the past.
Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here. I was asking about the 5th gen 4runner (not the '25) breaking and handling vs the new LC. Just trying to gauge how different (improvement hopefully) the new LC will be vs. my 2018 4runner sr5.

Back