Anyone compare the LC to the Tundra?

thomez

📛 Founding Member
Jun 7, 2024
Media
Munroe Falls, Ohio
Vehicles
2024 Tundra Platinum
Mid trim LC with premium pack ~70k vs a Tundra hybrid Platinum trim ~73k or something close. It surprises me how closely priced these are considering the Tundra is a much heavier duty vehicle, which is also available with some goodies like a twin panel moonroof that you just can’t get in the LC.

The only things I can think of where the LC has a big advantage is the full time 4wd system and Safety Sense 3.0 vs 2.5.

The Tundra is every bit as lux as the LC and is more powerful, can tow 11k pounds, etc. When I compare them in my head it always feels like the Tundra should cost 10k more than the LC rather than about the same. Surprises me a bit. Anyone else think of it this way?

My brother has the 2024 TRD Pro Tundra and it’s amazing! But, it’s a matter of, do you want a pickup or a true off-road capable SUV?
I wish I could figure that out! 😅

The truck segment is so competitive that it just seems like you get a lot ‘more’ for your money.

Definitely cross shopping these two vehicles. Would certainly be easier to get a Tundra and for under MSRP. Hate to say it, but storage space around the driver is one of the things I’m looking at.

Definitely cross shopping these two vehicles. Would certainly be easier to get a Tundra and for under MSRP. Hate to say it, but storage space around the driver is one of the things I’m looking at.
I can go buy a Tundra Platinum hybrid today for thousands less than the Land Cruiser I’ve been waiting on. Other than off-roading and the full time 4wd system, the Tundra is just a lot more car…

It all depends on intended/primary use. Here in snow country I would not be without full-time 4WD.

Tundra blows away LC here. When I was picking up my LC I sat in a tundra and it’s not really comparable. At first I was annoyed but as I’ve driven the car I’ve realized I don’t really need that much storage - wallet goes (and mostly stays in) center console, sunglasses in door side pocket along with water bottle, phones up in the front cubby, key in pocket/arm rest cubby/ front cubby/cup holder/ and then a to go drink in the cup holder. That’s just me though as im a business professional and don’t have any tools to store in car.

I look at it as the lc is made in Japan, many of them coming from the Tahara plant, especially mine. Whereas the tundra probably made in Mexico, Canada, or even worse USA made by union workers.
Tundras are made in San Antonio, TX.

I look at it as the lc is made in Japan, many of them coming from the Tahara plant, especially mine. Whereas the tundra probably made in Mexico, Canada, or even worse USA made by union workers.
Tundras are all made in San Antonio TX.

Tundra blows away LC here. When I was picking up my LC I sat in a tundra and it’s not really comparable. At first I was annoyed but as I’ve driven the car I’ve realized I don’t really need that much storage - wallet goes (and mostly stays in) center console, sunglasses in door side pocket along with water bottle, phones up in the front cubby, key in pocket/arm rest cubby/ front cubby/cup holder/ and then a to go drink in the cup holder. That’s just me though as im a business professional and don’t have any tools to store in car.
1000000% Tundra wins in the driver storage category. in my TRD Pro there's a giant cubby below the head unit that has a wireless charger. I mostly ignore that and keep a 5lb tub of peanuts in there for snacking. The cupholders are gigantic and hold my 32oz hydroflask no problem. The center storage console has a small part up top to keep small items, and is MASSIVE inside. The door panels have a small cubby right below the switches that I keep my golf glove and a few tees in, and the lower part can hold 3 16oz water bottles. There's another storage space right above the head unit, but its exposed. I keep some extra cables coiled up there.

Gonna be a pain to move all of this to the LC and find places to stash it.

Tundras are all made in San Antonio TX.
The general consensus is that Japanese plants produce superior products compared to others. This said, if I were in the market for a pickup, it would be a Tundra, even with the engine disaster presently occurring. In fact, a great price on a 2024 could probably be negotiated. As long as the VIN indicated post-issue.

I had a 2022 Tundra, had it for a year, only put 3000 miles on it. Sold it to my brother.

Now have 24 LC with prem pkg. You get ALOT more for your money with the Tundra! Interior is comfortable with a huge center console. The tech is all there but with a 14 inch screen that is easy on the old eyes. Very quiet ride with plenty of pep due to twin turbo V6.

One thing I could not get used was how damn ugly that front end is. Who on earth at Toyota thought it was a good idea to create that huge gaping maw of a gille/bumper and then drape a big chrome moustache around it? YUK

But as I am getting older, I find maneuvering and parking a full size pickup is getting less enjoyable, and we are taking fewer cross-country long haul trips. My brother lives on a ranch and uses it as a pick-up. I can get by with a SUV and a utility trailer for my needs.

So if you don't think it is ugly and you want lots of space and comfort and want a truck not SUV, then you should definitely be looking a Tundra. Slap a lid on the back and you almost have an SUV!

By the way, at 10,300 miles, the truck, now my brothers, blew the timing chain and it ruined the entire engine. It was a complete tear down and needed new short block. Was in the shop for three months. Glad it was on his watch, not mine:)

I'm with you re the ugly front ends, and not just Toyotas. All truck fronts are obnoxious in my opinion, and they seem to be attempting to outdo one another. Strange regarding the timing chain. Possibly related to the present issue with oil galley contamination?

I had a 2022 Tundra, had it for a year, only put 3000 miles on it. Sold it to my brother.

Now have 24 LC with prem pkg. You get ALOT more for your money with the Tundra! Interior is comfortable with a huge center console. The tech is all there but with a 14 inch screen that is easy on the old eyes. Very quiet ride with plenty of pep due to twin turbo V6.

One thing I could not get used was how damn ugly that front end is. Who on earth at Toyota thought it was a good idea to create that huge gaping maw of a gille/bumper and then drape a big chrome moustache around it? YUK

But as I am getting older, I find maneuvering and parking a full size pickup is getting less enjoyable, and we are taking fewer cross-country long haul trips. My brother lives on a ranch and uses it as a pick-up. I can get by with a SUV and a utility trailer for my needs.

So if you don't think it is ugly and you want lots of space and comfort and want a truck not SUV, then you should definitely be looking a Tundra. Slap a lid on the back and you almost have an SUV!

By the way, at 10,300 miles, the truck, now my brothers, blew the timing chain and it ruined the entire engine. It was a complete tear down and needed new short block. Was in the shop for three months. Glad it was on his watch, not mine:)
I’m looking at the bigger Toyotas because I’m in the home projects / camping / bike hauling / light-medium towing needs; the off roading tech of the LC is very cool but unlikely something I would ever utilize much. I do much appreciate the full time 4wd

On the flip side the Tundra Platinum hybrid just seems like a lot more (for my purposes) for the same money. Not a big difference in fuel economy and the Tundra sips 87. Tundra has the panoramic moonroof that I grew to love in my prior car. The folding tonneau probably gives me all of the dry storage I could need for camping etc. The truck bed is probably a better home for a Yeti cooler than in the LC atop the hybrid battery. I’m convincing myself, but appreciate the honest feedback here from folks that are more familiar with both vehicles and in some cases have ownership experience with both.

I agree….Tundra Front end is fairly ugly IMO. Same goes for new 4R front with double moustache….. I’ve sat in the new Tundra….didnt like the feel and view and as you said maneuvering and parking would be somewhat challenging. I cannot compare to LC yet as none are available in Canada yet. But I have a good utility trailer now so the LC should be sufficient for my towing and hauling needs.

Back