Air Compressors - Best type to keep in LC?

LCOceans

📛 Founding Member
Aug 10, 2024
Virginia
Vehicles
Land Cruiser First Edition, 4Runner TRD Pro, Lexus GX470
Hello,
One thing I will be doing for sure is beach driving in Hatteras where airing down can be key. I was looking at portable air compressors to keep with me in the truck at all times. There are numerous choices and price points.
Does anyone have recommendations or experience with these?
TIA

My choice is ViAir 485C. But it really boils down to:
What you are going to use it for (CFM and duty cycle).
How much you want to spend (higher the CFM/duty cycle - price goes way up).
How many times you expect to use it (be honest with yourself).
Your installation skill set (hard wire vs battery clips).

My choice is ViAir 485C. But it really boils down to:
What you are going to use it for (CFM and duty cycle).
How much you want to spend (higher the CFM/duty cycle - price goes way up).
How many times you expect to use it (be honest with yourself).
Your installation skill set (hard wire vs battery clips).
Where is the best place for your’ clips in the back area or is there a place under the hood that has access I also have a viair that I have never used until now have always had onboard air.

Where is the best place for your’ clips in the back area or is there a place under the hood that has access I also have a viair that I have never used until now have always had onboard air.
The only stock option is to use the clips on the battery in the rear. There are no access points under the hood, you'd have to run wires to add under the hood. If doing that I'd recommend mounting under your seat. Much easier to access that way.

If you take the lid off the pass side under hood fuse box there's a red cover, flip it up and that's the pos connection point for jumper cables.

You can purchase a "battery tender" pig tail from Amazon that you could hook directly to the battery and just leave it loose in the jack storage area.

If you gain access to the 12V battery you will see a hard plastic terminal/post cover, if you remove that cover there is an unused stud leading to the battery via a 100amp fuse (I think it's 100 amp) I think it's a M8 thread.

They sell on amazon short connectors that'll connect to the tender pig tail. They come in an 8" loop and you cut off and discard they end you don't need. I would cut the clips off the ViAir (leaving enough wire to splice on a new end (on the compressor side and clip side) that way you could reconnect the clips should you ever need to use it on another vehicle and the LC could be plugged directly into the compressor etc......... If you have any other 12 items you could add the connector etc......

I purchased a Thor’s Lightning Portable TotalControl 12V True Dual Air Compressor 10.6 CFM for the back of the Land Cruiser and for taking with us on RV trips. They are currently back ordered and should ship in mid-September.

The following is a link to the product page on their website:

I watched a couple of videos where a guy took one a dual head compressor, made some slight enlargements of the orifices and increased the CFM by a decent amount. Before I landed on the ViAir brand, I looked for awhile for a dual head compressor without much luck.

If you take the lid off the pass side under hood fuse box there's a red cover, flip it up and that's the pos connection point for jumper cables.

You can purchase a "battery tender" pig tail from Amazon that you could hook directly to the battery and just leave it loose in the jack storage area.

If you gain access to the 12V battery you will see a hard plastic terminal/post cover, if you remove that cover there is an unused stud leading to the battery via a 100amp fuse (I think it's 100 amp) I think it's a M8 thread.

They sell on amazon short connectors that'll connect to the tender pig tail. They come in an 8" loop and you cut off and discard they end you don't need. I would cut the clips off the ViAir (leaving enough wire to splice on a new end (on the compressor side and clip side) that way you could reconnect the clips should you ever need to use it on another vehicle and the LC could be plugged directly into the compressor etc......... If you have any other 12 items you could add the connector etc......
You need to start an on-line class for Land Cruiser owners. How do you know all this stuff? Thank you for the info!

I’m leaning toward the Viair 88p to leave in the cruiser. Rated at 2CFM, not amazing but still a lot better than my portable ryobi inflator. It looks pretty small and compact for something I’m not going to use all that often. I looked at some bigger more powerful options (some with multiple tire inflation), but the overall size and bulk is my main concern.

You need to start an on-line class for Land Cruiser owners. How do you know all this stuff? Thank you for the info!
I've been wrenching on cars since I was 15. And I have curiosity to learn new things...... ie I know a lot about wiring diagrams and electrical circuits etc....... but I don't know how they are designed in the LC, so I subscribed to TIS, down loaded all the wiring diagrams etc.......

EOD Guy - you are really helpful so thank you!
I've been studying a few brands - Viair, Morrflate, ARB, Thor, Dewalt. I want compact but also effective and durable. Will not use often, but when I need it I want durable and simple. Basic question - do you need to hook up to battery? Or can you plug into the 12V electric plug thing in rear, or I read somewhere use cigarette lighter? When I hear "on-board", does that mean this is hardwired into the car and you cannot put in bag and store it?
Leaning towards the less expensive Viair 88 too for space and cost savings but still looking.

On-board - term that was coined by manufactures for their vehicles with air adjustable suspensions etc........ Now I think it's used for hard wired installations by off roaders. The 110 plug thing in the rear will probably run most smaller (plug into the wall type) air compressors but those take up a lot of space when traveling....... but can be used around the house for many other things. Personally I wouldn't own a proprietary battery powered (like dewalt) unit.

From what you're saying, the ViAir (or like type) will do you fine, it'll just be slow.

I use the 485C due to it's 100% duty cycle and 2.24 CFM but it is a hard wire installation.

On-board - term that was coined by manufactures for their vehicles with air adjustable suspensions etc........ Now I think it's used for hard wired installations by off roaders. The 110 plug thing in the rear will probably run most smaller (plug into the wall type) air compressors but those take up a lot of space when traveling....... but can be used around the house for many other things. Personally I wouldn't own a proprietary battery powered (like dewalt) unit.

From what you're saying, the ViAir (or like type) will do you fine, it'll just be slow.

I use the 485C due to it's 100% duty cycle and 2.24 CFM but it is a hard wire installation.
(y)

Basic question - do you need to hook up to battery? Or can you plug into the 12V electric plug thing in rear, or I read somewhere use cigarette lighter?

The 12v adapter “cigarette lighter” has a maximum current/amperage, something like 15A, so that means you are hard capped at 180 watts. (power = voltage * amperage)

so if you attach directly to the battery you can draw more current and thus more power for the compressor.

The viair 85p is probably the best you can do for 12v adapter (1.77CFM)

The viair 88p hooks up directly to the battery and draws 20 amps instead so more power and as a result ~2CFM.

Annoyingly Toyota forgot to put a 12V plug in the back of the cruiser. 🙄

Easy enough to remedy.....LOL

Attachments

• CB4.JPG
    CB4.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 72
The 12v adapter “cigarette lighter” has a maximum current/amperage, something like 15A, so that means you are hard capped at 180 watts. (power = voltage * amperage)

so if you attach directly to the battery you can draw more current and thus more power for the compressor.

The viair 85p is probably the best you can do for 12v adapter (1.77CFM)

The viair 88p hooks up directly to the battery and draws 20 amps instead so more power and as a result ~2CFM.

Annoyingly Toyota forgot to put a 12V plug in the back of the cruiser. 🙄
Awesome information from everyone. Thank you!

I'd be interested in a how-to instruction for adding the cargo 12V plug in the LC. Is it simple enough for non-experienced DIYers?
I'd say it's a perfect project for new DIYer. (search for EOD Guy's Ride for many other mods I have completed on the LC).

You will need:
The 12v outlet (avail on amazon)
Crimping tool for ring terminals (Amazon, Harbor Freight)
1 in-line fuse holder
1 butt connector (kit avail on amazon)
2 ring terminals (Amazon or Harbor Freight)
1 "M8" nut (metric)

1 - attach the in-line fuse holder to the red wire on the 12v outlet (use a butt connector)
2 - attach a ring terminal to the in-line fuse holder and the black wire (ground) on the 12v outlet.
3 - Gain access to the 12v battery, fold back the pink plastic protective sheet.
4 - Disconnect the neg battery terminal (12mm).
5 - Carefully remove the red hard plastic cover from the positive terminal on the battery (the top pops up approx 30 degrees and the larger, horizontal area, pulls straight sideways, I used a hook tool). Once removed you will see a threaded stud with no wires on it, attach the red wire from the "fuse holder/12v outlet from step 2, secure with the M8 nut, replace the red protective cover and plastic sheet.
6 - Attach the black wire (ground) to one of the bolts securing the "jack cradle to the body". I prefer that vs the neg battery terminal so you don't end up with a lot of wires attached to the battery, but perfectly fine to attach it directly to the neg batt terminal stud.
7 - Reconnect the neg battery terminal (12mm).
8 - Route and secure 12v outlet in the "jack storage area" with wire ties. I'd use that area for easy access.

If you want to hard mount the 12v outlet (not necessary), you will need to fabricate/buy a mounting flange (3d printing may be an option).
This was over simplified and not my intention to insult anyone's skill set.

(edit) I posted further down in this tread, additional information on what I use etc.....

Last edited:
Back