3rd party Dash cam mounting

fumbles

📛 Founding Member
Jul 13, 2024
Virginia
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 250
Anyone have any suggestions on how to mount 3rd party dash cams without wires being everywhere?

And just why would that be? Video signal is a video signal just a matter of capturing it.
I’m oversimplifying it, but the cameras are linked to some other systems in the vehicle. Trying to tap them or otherwise modify it would cause some issues for linked systems. CANBUS is funky like that.

To my knowledge Video doesn't run on the CANBUS, the switching does but not the video signal. I'll admit I'm not very familiar with the camera that is used for the lane correction stuff but the bird's eye video feed should just be a video feed, otherwise you wouldn't be able to switch feeds for different views. Which I plan to explore.

To my knowledge Video doesn't run on the CANBUS, the switching does but not the video signal. I'll admit I'm not very familiar with the camera that is used for the lane correction stuff but the bird's eye video feed should just be a video feed, otherwise you wouldn't be able to switch feeds for different views. which I plan to explore.
Just throwing my info out there, I worked on some of these systems on other Toyota vehicles.

Edit: also the cameras are not designed to run for long periods of time. They generate a fair bit of heat and running them like a DVR would cause premature failure.

Just throwing my info out there, I worked on some of these systems on other Toyota vehicles.

Edit: also the cameras are not designed to run for long periods of time. They generate a fair bit of heat and running them like a DVR would cause premature failure.
Maybe, but the terrain monitoring system leads me to believe they will operate for long periods of time, IDK until I actually get some wiring diagrams and do some research.

I wish they had an adapter that supported parking mode on many dashcams: Constant power until a specified battery voltage level or time period. Seems like something in the overhead console must have constant power (lights?)
They’re working on a new line that dies exactly this. They have a post on the forums here somewhere

To my knowledge Video doesn't run on the CANBUS, the switching does but not the video signal. I'll admit I'm not very familiar with the camera that is used for the lane correction stuff but the bird's eye video feed should just be a video feed, otherwise you wouldn't be able to switch feeds for different views. Which I plan to explore.

If it helps, this is the camera pointing out the top of the rear glass:

IMG_3733.jpeg

Anyone have any suggestions on how to mount 3rd party dash cams without wires being everywhere?

One option is an OBD2 port wiring harness like this one. These just plug into the port under the dash left of the steering wheel and then you route the wire up: tuck into the side of the dash, pop off the A pillar trim, route behind the airbag, up to the headliner and over to your location on the windshield.

The advantages of an OBD2 harness are:
  1. Plug and play
  2. Easily removeable
  3. Absolutely NO cables showing, does not use any visible USB ports or 12v power source in the car
  4. Optional switched parking mode
On that last point: Not all, but the one I bought, have a rocker switch to enable voltage-monitored always-on power to enable dashcam parking modes. It supplies power until the battery voltage drops below a (presumably safe) threshold (No idea if this threshold works equally well for hybrids as traditional cars). Switch the rocker the other way and it's just a normal dashcam that comes on when the car is on. When it's garaged, I have no need for parking mode and don't use it. If I park it out where I want to use it, I can just flip the switch.

Maybe, but the terrain monitoring system leads me to believe they will operate for long periods of time, IDK until I actually get some wiring diagrams and do some research.
That and the rear view mirror/ screen can view a continuous feed from the rear camera.

I plan on exploring if the existing cameras can be captured to a DVR.
I missed this comment earlier, I posted elsewhere that the Japan Land Cruiser uses the built in cameras for dash cams. I don't know if they are different spec cameras? Let me find the page...original and translated attached. "Drive recorder (front and rear) Records images from the in-vehicle camera to the built in memory. You can record front and back images without adding a separate camera."

38.jpg
38.jpg

Last edited:
Back