3rd party Dash cam mounting

I missed this comment earlier, I posted elsewhere than the Japan Land Cruiser uses the built in cameras for dash cams. I don't know if they are different spec cameras? Let me find the page...original and translated attached. "Drive recorder (front and rear) Records images from the in-vehicle camera to the built in memory. You can record front and back images without adding a separate camera."
I had seen that, and wish it was the case for the North American market. Honestly, there's no excuse these days for manufacturers (besides tesla) not to have an SD or USB port just to enable a dash cam mode with factory cameras. At the very least provide a port near the rear view mirror just to provide power. Maybe on my next vehicle!

Here's a video of that same dashcam maker taking apart the covers in a GX 550. The design looks identical to the LC. Haven't tried it myself yet, but my LC didn't come with the stock dash cam so wondering if there's an available cable in there already.

Last edited:
I'll watch your video for the GX, but the cam for the 250 is a plug and play option using the existing wiring (at least according to the video).

I'll watch your video for the GX, but the cam for the 250 is a plug and play option using the existing wiring (at least according to the video).
Yes, the video you linked was for the older LC Prado. This other one shows a GX 550 (ie. 2024 LC). This video was helpful in showing how to easily remove the covers in the 2024.

If you search for the 'Dongar' thread, they mention the existing wiring and how to use their hardwire kit.. just a matter of mounting the camera somewhere. I have a VIOFO in my 4Runner and tuck it up behind the mirror and it works great. Can barely see it.

Here's a video of that same dashcam maker taking apart the covers in a GX 550. The design looks identical to the LC. Haven't tried it myself yet, but my LC didn't come with the stock dash cam so wondering if there's an available cable in there already.

Got it, I hadn't noticed that before. Thanks!!

Reactions: jmo
Back